Grow Box Construction

Hey Strat,

I'm building my own box and Im using a bunch of your ideas, you came up with a lot of things I never would have thought of. I went through your post and have not found any mention of a door. Is this just sealed up?

Im going with soil and need to access the inside every so often. I got everything figured out with the exception of creating a door that will not allow air to seep out.

I slipped something in this tread about a modification of the door because I had a problem with high temps. Check out page 6 post #88 and that should help you out. It works only because I ditched the air filter and now use an extra fan in front of the box when it's sealed up but it allows air flow in while keeping light out.

Stratlogic, awesome thread, I'm building something very similar. Mine will be 4x4x2 and have seperated rooms, though. My question to you is how loud is your box as a whole? I know you have 5 fans, lighting, water pump, and air pump all making noise in there. How noticable is it that you have an operation in your closet?

Keep up the great work, I'm going to the store tomorrow (It's over an hour drive to just find Rockwool. I have been searching by phone, computer, and on foot, there is no hydroponic anything aroud me) to get nearly all the supplies I will need. I already have a bubbler based off your Construction thread and a few tricks up my own sleeve. I plan to do the same with the box. (I'm planning on 6 80mm fans that pump 30 CFM a piece. It wil be 2 intakes on the bottom of the box and 2 exhausts on top, one for each side. As well as one fan per light I have, but that depends on the lighting I plan to use.)

Either way, I'm glad to know there are people that can still use their hands and brains at the same time. I have been doing it for years, but seeing you make nothing into something really puts a fire under my ass to get rolling.

staratlogic
i just wanted to thank you for making this thread bro
i made an account so i can say thanks for helping me out
i finally finished my box and its not as great as yours but it works

Thanks DoItToIt and mrlaostha .

DoItToIt - to answer your question it's not so discreet anymore at all. I have a box fan that needs to sit in front of the box 6" to 12" away from the box blowing in through the bottom of the box at all times. I also quit using the squirrel fans since I no longer use the carbon filter. The fans I initially installed just didn't cut it when I tried to seal it up with the MDF board. On paper it looked good but when I tried it all out, I wasn't happy with the temps when it was all sealed up.

mrlaostha - I'm glad you dug the thread and more glad you decided to join up. Welcome aboard. Be sure to start up a journal if you can. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see what you got going on.

Why'd you scrap the carbon filter? I was gonna make one based on your plans for it- did it not work right/well or did you just not need it with just one/two plants?

Yeah I didn't need it. Smell wasn't an issue and it took up some space above the screen and blocked out some light to a few buds that started growing underneath it. If I were to do it again I would put the filter below the screen because space gets pretty tight in a 2'x2' box.

would you suggest a larger box to grow your one plant scrog? I think maybe a 2 plant scrog will yield well in a 3 x 3'

I copied this design and it works well. I made two levels in the box. The bottom is for the two mother plants and the top level is for clones and veg.

bigdeal101 - Yeah I would suggest a bigger box.

tn_DSC03532.JPG

This is a pic I took today in my 2'x2' box and wish I had at least two more square feet of screen because those buds are packed together pretty tight. It's all personal preference though. I prefer fewer plants with larger yields than multiple plants with smaller yields due to my current space restrictions.

I built a grow box out of an old dresser. I have found that when building a box you have to make exhaust a major priority. Hot air can build up SOOOO fast it's not even funny. Bigger boxes or closets have a more air inside and it takes longer to heat it all up, kind of a heat saftey buffer.

Great job on the grow box. I have one question though. How did you install the front door? Did you use hinges or what?

Halfway down page 6 in this thread I posted something about the door. I had to modify the box because temps were too high.

I built a grow box out of an old dresser. I have found that when building a box you have to make exhaust a major priority. Hot air can build up SOOOO fast it's not even funny. Bigger boxes or closets have a more air inside and it takes longer to heat it all up, kind of a heat saftey buffer.

You couldn't be more right about making exhaust a major priority. It does build up pretty fast. I had to modify my box because I didn't have enough airflow necessary to keep the temps at a reasonable level. Lesson learned.

Amazing , this box is straight genius-like! Great job. Anymore additions to it recently?

is there anyway you could post a list of what you used to grow (i.e, the lights, fans, adapters, etc.) I can build a box to the same specs I was just wondering about specifics for the lights and electrical...

Back
Top Bottom