Grow Journal- Sour Diesel - First Timer

Coyote

I'm a first time grower and I say that lightly because I haven't even started yet. I feel I may have already made a mistake. I ordered a 24" grow cabinet that comes with everything because I figured I would do it right the first time but after some more research I'm afraid my plants are going to out grow the cabinet quickly, especially once they reach flowering stage, since they can double in height. I'm not sure what to do. I don't really have a safe place to grow outside of the cabinet, hence another reason why I bought it. Should I save these seeds for another time when I have a grow or two under my belt? Any suggestions for strains that are good for first time inside growers? I feel a little stupid asking this now since I already bought the seeds... I really don't want to switch the plants to flowering stage just because I'm running out of room and don't want them to burn. They are feminized. My house is very cold in the winter so growing them outside of the cabinet would be very difficult. Any suggestions would be a huge help. I plan on posting pictures of all my equipment once it arrives. I'm really excited about this and I'm in love with the thought of growing and caring for my own bud.

Re: Grow Journal- Sour Diesel (First Timer)

If you growing in small area then look up supper cropping and topping plants. you can also tie them down. there are many ways to keep plants short. You can build a mini scrog net. What light are you going to use? Make sure you keep light close to them so the don't stretch and get tall.

I'm using CFL bulbs. I saw another member staked their plants down to create a vine effect, do you think this would be a good option for me? Thank you for your response, I greatly appreciate it.

Yes It might. There are many ways to control your plants. Stay away from Big Bugs,Bomb,Northern lights type strains. They grow huge. If you are not sure you can look up your seeds on Seedfinder. Most plants are on there and they tend to show what they are made from.

Here is some more information on the seeds:

Flowering time: 12 weeks
Cannabinoid content: Extremely high
Effect: A motivating and inspiring feeling
Genetic background: Original Diesel x (Northern light x Shiva x Hawaiian)
Height of the plant: 100-150 cm
Harvest month: Late October
Yield: 60-80 grams
Type: Sativa: 75% Indica: 25%

Thank you for the response. I'll do some research on keeping the plants on the short side. Will that effect their yield at all? I'm going to put a lot of love and care into these plants but as a first timer I'm not expecting a huge yield. Even if I only got one gram I would still be happy. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

Northern lights is a big yield big plant. So knowing that you will have to really keep lights low and tie down. I would scrog net it. If you don't know how youtube it and you will see you can control the grow better that way. Is it a auto flower or regular?

It's regular. I'll have to look up scrog netting, I'm not sure what that is.

Alright so after some much needed help I think I've decided on my plan of action. I'm going to try some pruning techniques to keep my plants short and bushy, due to my confined space. The link I posted above gives some really good tips and as a forestry major that has studied plants for the last 4 years a lot of it makes sense. I think I may also try the vine method. I also read a lot about topping and hard cropping but as a beginner I know that's too much for me right now. Just taking on the pruning and the tie downs may be too much but I guess we will see. I may decided to only plant one of my three seeds and see what happens before wasting all three and then just ending up with three dead plants. Sorry if I tend to babble a little on here, it just helps me get my thoughts collected.

Got word today that my seeds and grow cabinet shipped so hopefully by the end of next week I can get underway!! :circle-of-love:

You got it. I think with what you have looked at you have a good idea what you need to do. I will keep a look out on ya to see how you are doing. I will help any way I can if you run into some thoughts about doing some thing just post away.

I don't have the cabinet or the seeds yet but they are on their way, I'll be sure to post pictures of everything once it arrives. The dimensions of the cabinet are 24"x14"x10". Thanks for the response.

Thank you! I appreciate your guidance, I could use it.

What are some people's favorite places to get seeds?

Got my grow cabinet in yesterday. Here are some pictures. Using rock wool with stones for support, 3 60W CFLs (2700K).
Dimensions of the cabinet are 24X14X10.

photo_2355.JPG
photo573.JPG
photo_1415.JPG

Tell you what, Cannis latrans, don't ditch the stealth cabinet. Ditch the Sour D. It is sativa dominant and will stretch like crazy. Ditch the mini hydro system, too. I've never grown in a mini-rig like yours but I grow small. If you want to sell that little box for cheap let me know. I'd love to play around with it.

What I'd suggest is growing in dirt, but not just any dirt. If you're curious about what is good dirt ask and I will tell you what I know and see.

You need an indica dominant strain, and you need to be smart about how you germinate and sprout them. You need to minimize stretch right out of the gate. From there you need to do some training on the plant. That does not mean SCRoG necessarily. There are some other tricks.

This plant I have going is 26" tall (including the the 7 gallon pot) x 16 long x 13" wide. You would be working with a shorter veg time in a smaller pot. You could grow some sweet dank if you are smart about it. Most micro growers aren't smart about it....

P1030001.jpg
P10300051.jpg
P10300081.jpg

P1030014.jpg

Let me know if you'd like some help.

Got my seeds on Friday and have them in a damp paper towel. I'm sticking with the Sour Diesel and going to try some cropping techniques to keep them short. No sprouting as of yet. Have three seeds going right now. I've been adding a little water everyday to keep them damp. The humidity as of now is dry but I'm hoping once I get them into the pots and add water in that will get it up. The temperature in the grow box is sitting just over 70 and that's without having the lights on so I know it's going to be plenty warm for them. I think I'm going to start them off in wool and plant that in a soil, blood meal mix. I'm going to make the mixture tomorrow after work and just plant the wool right into the soil. The soil I got is specifically for sprouting and strong growth, it's organic so there's no added chemicals. I want to stick with this for my first time and maybe try hydroponics for another growth. I have everything I need I'm just waiting for the seeding to do their thing and I'll be on my way.

At this point I can't ditch my seeds, I've put a lot of money into this set up and I can't afford to spend another $50 on seeds. I'm going to try some cropping techniques I've found and I've sent everything up so that the plants are close to the light source and as they grow I'll slow move them down to keep them from burning. I also have stakes and I'm going to try and create sort of a vine affect. I have an organic soil that I'm going to add blood meal to and use that as soil. I have food and additives to help with the pH. I'm going to mix all of this together and test the pH tomorrow and make sure it's a nice balance. Thank you for the advice though. I'll definitely need it down the road when I run into problems.

Back
Top Bottom