Grow room with 7ft ceilings

luckiestman13

I'm looking building a room in which to grow. i have plenty of floor space but I'm concerned with the height. I'd like to do 4 1,000w lights. Besides that I need help deciding on what would be the best way to grow for me. Im leaning towards hydro but even then not sure exactly which way.

Would it be best to do 12 small plants for light? What books should I buy?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm looking building a room in which to grow. i have plenty of floor space but I'm concerned with the height. I'd like to do 4 1,000w lights. Besides that I need help deciding on what would be the best way to grow for me. Im leaning towards hydro but even then not sure exactly which way.

Would it be best to do 12 small plants for light? What books should I buy?

Any help would be much appreciated!

If you have not grown before, many will advise you to grow with soil or a soiless mix. One reason for this suggestion is to help educate on the many facets of the growing process. And the plants growth rate in soil allows more time to learn from mistakes you WILL make... but don't take offense, even cannabis industry professionals, earning six figures a year from companies who've hired them to grow, make mistakes. The key is to document the entire process... to the mL... to the minute... to the brand & hopefully to the gram :high-five:! But, here are the comments on your specific concerns:
4 x 1000watt lights is big time overkill for 12 "SMALL" plants especially with a 7' ceiling. You would greatly benefit from utilizing 3 x 600watt lights (try to use blue nova bulbs throughout the grow... you'll love it!) With this setup I would tell you to go with 3 x 8" Air Cooled XL hoods like this one:
Sun System Magnum XXXL 8
Then daisy chain them together to vent pulling from outside your room and exhausting from the other. And make sure you are using fans with enough CFM to vent the lights and ducting effectively. This will allow for CO2... but you did not ask about that :) I would recommend setting up your carbon filter in the room and scrubbing the air... this will not have any negative effect on the room's CO2 levels & will still be as effective at helping to manage the aroma created within the room.
If you'd like to go hydro, try a ebb n flow system out for starters or even a DWC.

Read Ryan Riley's "Growing Elite Marijuana"

Best of luck to you!

2000 Watt - 69 Plants

thanks for your post! I decided to go hydro. I got lucky and became friends with one of the workers at the local grow shop so if any problems arise I have a lot of good hands on help. I also have the book cannabis encyclopedia by jorge cervantes. An awesome book!

Please have a look at my grow and leave a comment!

Thanks

In my opinion as long as you keep your pH between 5-7 nutrient lockout is false. And if you can't keep your pH at least between 5-7 you have a lot more problems too.

In my opinion as long as you keep your pH between 5-7 nutrient lockout is false. And if you can't keep your pH at least between 5-7 you have a lot more problems too.

I have to disagree strongly with that comment. Ph is very important and not at all forgiving when you're out of range - and the range is not that big.

tapatalk_1449111787418.jpeg
As you can see here 5.8 is optimal for hydro. At 5.7 or 5.9 you already start to lose out.

pH is important but as long as its between 5-7 whatever problems you're experiencing is not from pH lockout. Did you know roots can help balance the pH?

None of that literature supports any proof that ph fluctuations won't cause a deficiency. All I said was that my pH fluctuations kept me in some state of deficiency but never to the extent of harming the plant. I never said it would kill your plant to be at 6.2 only that you may be losing out on some nutrients.

All I said was keep your pH somewhere between 5-7 and not fluctuationing to much. If you do this nutrient "lockout" isn't your problem.

What is your estimated yield goal? I'm sure you've got a number in there somewhere..... I've never done that type of hydro, got stuck on rdwc Waterfarming about 6 yrs ago...
Yield per sq ft, I love that question... I use one light per plant, it's listed as a 315 watt light, but draws 334 watts.... 2' x 3' screen.... My sq. ft. yield for 6 sq. ft. is always about 2 oz sq. ft... clone to finish, about 100 days... a week more in veg if it's slow...
Hydro always benefits from a chiller in the summer... I finely got one, no more frozen water bottles.
Will be following your other thread...

Presumably the article is talking about growing in soil. 'The lawn, rainforest, and redwoods of Oregon' are not growing hydroponically. The big difference between soil and hydro is- ph must be managed meticulously in hydro. For a soil grow- it's pretty much as he said- 5-7 is fine, because soil has great buffering properties and will balance the ph- as it does in the forest, etc.
I've been growing soilless for the last 7 years or so- which is a form of hydro and uses the same ph range. I've seen firsthand many times ( all too many) what happens if I get outside the correct range. Below 5.6 and I have sickly, wilting plants with purple stems and slow growth- in the high sixes I get sickly looking plants with trashed leaves and slow growth.
Ph of solution is affected and changes in the root zone. If I water at 5.7 or so- I can expect the ph to rise in the root zone over the next few days, giving me a nice range to accommodate the different nutrients- which uptake at different ph levels.
If you grow hydroponically and have your ph at 5, or at 7, they might not die. They will be in horrible condition though and won't produce much, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom