Growing in coco - Deficiencies driving me batty

That sounds really cool, too late now though there to big to be messen around trying to transplant them. I guess I just have to keep dealing with all this drama.

Its impossible to say what is right and what is wrong. I personally ally have grown coco for a few years now. When I was running salts I would feed every day, I liked my Ph a little lower like 5.5 or.6. They always have had beautiful root balls, never any signs of rot.

Growing organic I like to give it a day or two, I think the extra castings and humus may hold water longer.

Yea it seems like everyone has their own style of growing in coir. Ive had some sour diesel in grow now for about 4 weeks their actually doing pretty good, I think they just needed to get a descent root structure going? Anyway now I'm struggling with these clones I put in about 10 days ago, same struggle that I went thru with the diesal at that time. These are gsc, gdp, and some chocolate hashberry kush. This may be my last time in coco. We'll see how it all works out.

I know that there are different opinions on watering coco, nutes to use, cal-mag or not, tap water. Here's what I do and never have one dis-colored leaf from start to finish. Coco/perlite - 50/50. Canna coco either bag or brick works. Never have to rinse the coco. GH MaxiGrow for veg and MaxiBloom for flower - 7 grams per gallon max. in tap water - start with 1/8 strength and move up from there. I never have to use cal-mag because my tap water has plenty of calcium and magnesium, and so do the nutes I use. I start in solo cups, then to 44 oz. cups, and lastly in 2 gallon containers. I don't test the ppm's - don't even have a meter and I test the pH with the GH drops. I water every day - with the 50/50 mix it's impossible to over water.

I got some wierd stuff going on with my leaves, I guess it got worse overnight cuz this morning my leaves looked like a bunch of mini tacos, I'm going to post some pics later today when I get of work? If I can't fix this problem with the Tacos, I think I'm done with coir altogether, going back to rockwool.

When I switched over to coir I had a lot of initial problems but luckily I also had a lot of free time to watch for and address any hiccups, had it not been for that alone I may have never stuck with it. Leaves folding up into tacos was one of the problems I encountered and if memory serves me correctly it went away when I upped my nutrient strength. I've only used DynaGro since going coco and I've never bothered with rockwool so I can't offer much more than that but I hope you get it figured out

smaller pots and working your way up would have helped. I use calimagic with no problems.
Compost tea weekly!
image34701.jpg

Setup a drip and run it drain to waste. Coco is capable of creating very large plants as will a rockwool block.

Well I'm getting better at this, I just transplanted 30 plants from 1 gal to 5 gallon pots and they had really nice roots on them. The problem now is when I try to water anything over 500 ppm it seems to burn them a little, and that's with big well rooted sour diesel plants. They been growing for 5 weeks and their 30" tall in 7 gal pots. When I grow in rockwool cubes, flood and drain, i keep my ppm at around 1000 to 1300 no problem. Is this normal?

No it's not... I've got seedlings going atm (12/12) that have been getting 900 ppm flowering mutes from day dot (through laziness) and are the healthiest babies I've ever grown.. Sorry for that, I know it doesn't help. You did ask if normal, lol... We both got abnormalities, lol....

coco is inert so just add some more cal/mag :peacetwo:

How does that help? I do add calmag, the problem is my tap is about 115ppm and 3 ml calmag a gal bumps it up to about 300-350ppm that doesn't leave a lot for my normal nutes. Specially when my plants are burning at anything over 500ppm I'm not getting it man. Why is my shit burning at such a light nutrient level. It's not making any sense. I was thinking maybe cuz the roots just sit in the nutes cuz it takes like 3 or 4 days for the coco/perlite to dry. If it would dry faster like rockwool it wouldn't be a issue.Shit I don't know this is literally my first time using coir.

Using tap water, there is absolutely no need (shouldn't be added)to use cal/mag....

Using tap water, there is absolutely no need (shouldn't be added)to use cal/mag....

That's what I thought to, but I started seeing calcium deficiencies, little rust spots on the leaves & turning yellow a bit. When I started using calmag it went away.

I just want to be able to feed them heavier, so they'll grow more vigorously. So I'm just going to start working my way up slowly

The thing is, the ph must be perfect to allow plant to take up nutrients so
if ph is to high then plant wont take up cal/mag therefore shows deficiency
no matter how much cal/mag is given.
Adjust ph to 5.7-5.8 and give plants full strength cal/mag. :peacetwo:

the 1 gallon rootball is probably drying too fast in between your waterings in the 5 gallon pot. I would have went to a three gallon instead. Post a picture man.

I want to post some pics. Can I do that from my phone or do I need to do it from my pc? I'm kinda new to this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom