Growing virgin help! CFL lights

DoYouEvenToke

hey guys, this will be my first time growing and ive came here to gain some help tips and advise from you guys, i have no friends nor know anyone in person i can talk to so im hoping some people here can help me, ive got a few lighting questions i need to ask, firstly ill be growing in my cupboard for a stealth grow away from the fam and visitors, the cupboard is roughly 120cm tall and 80cm in width, i was planing on building two small grow tents within the cupboard one for veg and another for flowering, and i'll also be growing two plants at a time using the LST and or bonsia method, something like that, now you have the details lets talk lights! i was thinking for my veg room: 130W 6400K Energy Saving CFL Grow Light
if i was to use this type would i need one light or two of these?
then for my flowring room i was thinking x2 130W 2 IN 1 Dual Spectrum Hydroponics Fluoro CFL Lighting Lamps and another one of the 130w 6400k having all three under a hood? im open to ideas remember the growing room a have i want to keep it small not so much mirco but a small cupboard grow with CFL lighting only, another question, while flowering i was planing to use both spectrums of light, is this recommend? and if so is it better to have more 6500k lights or 2700k lights? please help me out give me better ideas whatever youve got chuck it t me please im here to learn from ya'll :) once ive got what im using sorted out ill start a grow journal and youtube videos, thanks guys

Hi DYET.

:welcome: to :420:

I grow with cfls in a wardrobe with your dimensions.

That first lamp looks good.

I would stick to 2700K Cfls to keep them short.

You don't need a veg space for your first grow,

let it evolve. As you will :thumb:

okay ill go just one grow room for now, also because ive got a bunch of different bagseeds so i'll have to grow them till i get a female and a good strain :) cheers for the advise :thumb:

It is a good idea to keep the bulbs close to the plants, especially with cfl's. you may want to consider cutting a duct in half and use that as a hood backed with mylar. you may want to consider 2x 200w cfl 2700k for flowering and go with the 2x 130w 6500k for the veg one per plant if you are doing 2 on each side. consider keeping a mother in the veg ( the nicer one ) and doing a sea of green in the flowering side. just keep in mind it takes a few weeks to root but won't take up much space to do 15 small cutting :) any method hydro / bio whatever works well and you get more tops in the same amount of space with less garbage from the bottoms of the plants! I do vertical with the sea of green method, but with a large room. if you do sea of green you can you the 2700k's to grow as well, they wont be going big anyways with the limited space.

I use a 125w 6400k CFL for vegging & works just fine :thumb:

005692.JPG
001809.JPG
001811.JPG
002847.JPG
005826.JPG

Ya want to keep em 2 inch above the plants for best results & wouldn't really go as far as more than 6 inch as CFLs really do suffer badly with the inverse square law of light effect.

Modern practice with CFLs for flowering is...

2 x 2700k, 1 x 6400k CFLs, how ever you could replace the 6400k for a dual spec CFL :thumb:

A little bit of blue light in flowering helps, as their is a trend in bulb makers to include dual spec bulbs in their range including dual spec HPS to which i am aware of more than a few growers using these days !

So you can use the same dual spectrum bulb for both vegetating and flowering, correct? I have separate 125-watt CFLs for vegetating and flowering, 6400K and 2700K, respectively. While I understand about mixing 6400K and 2700K lights, is either stage negatively impacted by having the other spectrum present in equal amounts? Would an equal amount of 6400K and 2700K in flowering promote too much vegetative growth?

So you can use the same dual spectrum bulb for both vegetating and flowering, correct? I have separate 125-watt CFLs for vegetating and flowering, 6400K and 2700K, respectively. While I understand about mixing 6400K and 2700K lights, is either stage negatively impacted by having the other spectrum present in equal amounts? Would an equal amount of 6400K and 2700K in flowering promote too much vegetative growth?

Yes a dual spectrum CFL could be used for both flowering & vegging, how ever due to their design the CFL will have 50% 2700k & 50% 6400k elements... better of being used as supplement light source.

Not nearly as good as full 100% 2700k or 6400k CFL.

Not to sure about about equal amounts of 2700k & 6400k for either stage of growth or flowering being bad for plant growth ?

I would assume its fine for veg, but may lower yield in flowering as most people would prefer a higher amount of 2700k CFLs to promote a better harvest.

Hi DYET.

:welcome: to :420:

I grow with cfls in a wardrobe with your dimensions.

That first lamp looks good.

I would stick to 2700K Cfls to keep them short.

You don't need a veg space for your first grow,

let it evolve. As you will :thumb:

maybe u can help me too
im using 2x 30w 6500k 2x 20w 5500k 1x 20w 5500k and a cool white 8w t5
Is this enough for veg. its my first grow from bagseed. any tips or suggestions would be appreciated guys
ill post a few pics

Using a single 65watt flood cfl for my veg stage and that's it. Working great, what you have is plenty good, just remember that a cannabis plant cant use more than an estimated 4200 lumens per square foot, up to that point you aren't wasting, but not entirely nessacary either. Happy trails

Are you set on CFL's? Having done a few closet grows with cfl I then switched to led and I honestly couldn't recommend it enough over cfls, the difference is remarkable. You'll have a slightly higher initial outlay but it will be worth it. You'll easily double your yield watt for watt, you'll get fewer heat issues, and in my experience CFL's only have a worthwhile footprint directly under the bulb itself so your coverage is extremely limited unless you start adding lots of bulbs which increases heat and electricity costs. 80cm width I'd be thinking about at least two 125w cfls side by side (if they fit with the reflectors, they are huge!), and that will probably only give 40cm decent coverage and would be 250w.

LEDs can seem expensive initially but prices a coming down and they also have a longer life than CFL's so you'll easily match the price of the led over its lifetime in replacement cfl bulbs. Not meaning to be an led spokesperson, and cfls do work, but having grown with both in a limited space if you have the option and can stump up the extra cash then I would go for the led.

Are you set on CFL's? Having done a few closet grows with cfl I then switched to led and I honestly couldn't recommend it enough over cfls, the difference is remarkable. You'll have a slightly higher initial outlay but it will be worth it. You'll easily double your yield watt for watt, you'll get fewer heat issues, and in my experience CFL's only have a worthwhile footprint directly under the bulb itself so your coverage is extremely limited unless you start adding lots of bulbs which increases heat and electricity costs. 80cm width I'd be thinking about at least two 125w cfls side by side (if they fit with the reflectors, they are huge!), and that will probably only give 40cm decent coverage and would be 250w.

LEDs can seem expensive initially but prices a coming down and they also have a longer life than CFL's so you'll easily match the price of the led over its lifetime in replacement cfl bulbs. Not meaning to be an led spokesperson, and cfls do work, but having grown with both in a limited space if you have the option and can stump up the extra cash then I would go for the led.

thanks fir the advice and i probly will givem a try, like i said its my first cfl gro so i wana see how it does
wat leds would u recommend for veg bro

Back
Top Bottom