H20 basic help, please!

Barberbarian

420 Member
First time growing (I don’t count throwing a couple seeds from a bad of cheap weed into a stream bed 20+ years ago, besides it flooded that year and everything washed away) and DWC seemed the easier DIY project. I’m kinda jumping in a bit blind, I admit. I did buy Ed Rosenthal’s Cannabis Grower’s Guide, so getting much great knowledge from that. However, I am on the Aspergers end of the autism spectrum and understanding all the numbers isn’t always easy for me. Was reading another journal and the person had their well water tested, and now I’m panicking! I had planned on filling my bucket with tap water and pH adjusting, but is this a bad idea? I have my first seed soaking for germination and will be prepping the first bucket to receive seedling within days. Please save me if I’m about to make a huge mistake right off the bat!

First time growing (I don’t count throwing a couple seeds from a bad of cheap weed into a stream bed 20+ years ago, besides it flooded that year and everything washed away) and DWC seemed the easier DIY project. I’m kinda jumping in a bit blind, I admit. I did buy Ed Rosenthal’s Cannabis Grower’s Guide, so getting much great knowledge from that. However, I am on the Aspergers end of the autism spectrum and understanding all the numbers isn’t always easy for me. Was reading another journal and the person had their well water tested, and now I’m panicking! I had planned on filling my bucket with tap water and pH adjusting, but is this a bad idea? I have my first seed soaking for germination and will be prepping the first bucket to receive seedling within days. Please save me if I’m about to make a huge mistake right off the bat!
Good morning @Barberbarian :ciao: hope you are well my friend.
Welcome to 420magazine. :welcome:
I'm not 100% sure what your asking.
To mix nutrients we fill our jugs with water.
Ro. Tap or bottled all ok.
Then put in your nutrients in order according to the schedule.
Then check your ppm's and lastly set your ph to 5.8.
If your concerned about dwc off the start a pot grow might be easier.
Soil is less work and not as complicated.
Just a thought.
If you want to meet everyone and say hi here is a link.
Introduce Yourself

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

I might guess that most dwc ers use tap water. Perhaps let it sit for a day or two before use but that should be plenty fine

No need for panic friend,, all is fine I might suggest

Karma sent

:welcome:
No, you aren't about to make a mistake, pH'd tap water is fine and probably most reliable
Don't worry too much about the numbers except for pH, but even then it can happily drift some
Some folk (not a jibe) like to measure EC, PPM, VPD, DLI etc, half of which I don't even know what they are
The only measuring I do is ml/L dilution rate and pH; you should be able to spot anything else going wrong with nutes, insects, hot/cold, wet/dry etc just by observing your plants
Good luck fellow (Aspergers/OCD) grower, you are in good company :high-five:

I grow dwc, once you get a grow under your belt it is theraputic. My son has asp and helping led to him getting a hort degree. Don't over think it. Most tap water is fine if you let it sit with a bubbler to gas off chloride. What is your tap waters PPM? With dwc PH is the most important value. It will float up and down by a point. Don't chase it. Give it a day and then adjust it closer but stay shy of 5.8. The next day check and nudge it closer to 5.8. It's like driving and you realize you are on the shoulder. Jerk the wheel and you are suddenly in the oncoming lane. Ease it back into your lane.

Are you using a well like the other person? I wouldn’t worry about what’s in well water, I’d be more worried what’s in city water. Chlorine and such, thus the recommendation to let the water sit for a day or 2. Which does get out chlorine, but not chloromine, which has bromine and doesn’t evaporate. At any rate, I started on city water fine but decided to upgrade to RO water which doesn’t have many elements in it. Better water is better but if you’re works no worries.

Back
Top Bottom