Harvest Window Opening?

I've never heard of a "2 week window to harvest " before.

Because, technically, it doesn't exist, you mean? ;)

Some people like to eat tomatoes that are still green. Others might like to wait until they get all mushy. Both sets of people can, of course, suit themselves.

However, in neither case are the people hitting some kind of mythical "harvest window," lol.

In this regard... dope aint any different than tomatoes.

Because, technically, it doesn't exist, you mean? ;)

Some people like to eat tomatoes that are still green. Others might like to wait until they get all mushy. Both sets of people can, of course, suit themselves.

However, in neither case are the people hitting some kind of mythical "harvest window," lol.

In this regard... dope aint any different than tomatoes.

I m not native English so it was hard to explain what I meant.But your post is exactly what I wanted to express. There is a window where any fruit will be mostly ready. Tomato, Orange, pineapple, etc.... And like you I see weed as any other one. When I see people showing plants that need 3 or 4 weeks to go before chop and then I see others telling them that only the trichs can tell at that stage, it makes me doubtful... I don't see the point checking trichs when the flowers aren't correctly developed yet....but like you said, some people like unfinished products. Some people eat bananas when it s still green... I respect their choice. But I wouldn't if they were advising people to start checking if bananas were ripened while still green...

I've never heard of a "2 week window to harvest " before.

You need two things: the number of days in flowering recommended by the breeder and a jeweller's loup/magnifying glass/something similar with 60x magnification. Just monitor your trichs, most growers chop the plant when they start turning amber.
I don’t know how long the rule has existed as this my first round but it popped up a lot when I was researching harvest info and on the forums when asking about harvest time. As far as how well it works or anything idk but hope to over the years. I’m hoping not to have to bug everyone with my questions as experience grows. One thing I have learned over the years is there is always more to learn no matter how well we know something.

That looks awesome mate!
About 7-10 days to go by my eye.
still clear trich, stil got plenty white pistils. I'd ignore them for 5 days then reassess.

What's your finishing up process if you've got one btw?
Like are you flushing/tapering or feeding full strength.
Do you plan to stress them out for a few days before harvest or anything like that?
I have been asking a lot about that particular question lately and decided to go half nutes last 2 weeks. I just gave them there last feeding I hope anyway. Then plan two days dark before I harvest

I have been asking a lot about that particular question lately and decided to go half nutes last 2 weeks. I just gave them there last feeding I hope anyway. Then plan two days dark before I harvest
[/QUOTE
Depending on what "half" is that might still be a lot mate. I grow in reservoirs and you can see that the last few weeks their feeding habbits slow right down and they just bulk up on water. They do take some nutes but not a lot.
I go down to 300ppm for the second last and half that for the last week.
It's one of these things though, best just to experiment and finish up a few all slightly differently so you can see for yourself.
I love a bit of myth busting. Breaks up the monotony lol.

Flushing and nutes are a hot topic with that being said it took a while to come to that decision. I did forums and google to make the decision
I want to say what pulled me to it was the argument of (why stop nutes at the time they need it most). For the record idk which is better yet and it will take time to learn. I originally planned a flushed and no nutes last two weeks and completed the flush part when I decided to switch to half nutes till end. One thing I can say is the next day they looked very happy, bigger and stinkier than day before but that is all I know.

Flushing and nutes are a hot topic with that being said it took a while to come to that decision. I did forums and google to make the decision
I want to say what pulled me to it was the argument of (why stop nutes at the time they need it most). For the record idk which is better yet and it will take time to learn. I originally planned a flushed and no nutes last two weeks and completed the flush part when I decided to switch to half nutes till end. One thing I can say is the next day they looked very happy, bigger and stinkier than day before but that is all I know.
If you look at my post on flush or don’t flush there is a decent discussion on it there that played a lot in my decision

It's actually been proven by some university that you can't flush buds at long last. Done chemical tests on flushed Vs non and they both turned out exactly the same. Some dudes got the link to it in his sig. I'll copy it in if I see it.
Bunkbudz commented something similar about a Canadian study where they compared 3 plants and got same results for each.

That sounds like it might be the one mate. It's in someone's sig that pops up all the time. Wasn't him though, Wish I could mind who.
What I don't understand is if science says nutes don't affect the final product then why is it a hot topic?

What I don't understand is if science says nutes don't affect the final product then why is it a hot topic?
Because people still take the word of someone who's not changed their methods in 40 years over someone thats a new breed because apparently we lack experience lol.

Technically true but our science still counts for more.

Do a single, large plant in a 20-30l NFT, DWC or Wilma and you'll be able to see for yourself why most hydro growers say don't flush.

The ppm meter tells us not only how strong the feed is but how strong the plant wants it.

Towards the end of the grow, the nutrient intake does indeed go down massively but it doesn't stop.
About 3 weeks before the end it halves.
By 2 weeks to go it halves again.
1 week to go it halves again and after that it basically stops feeding and just drinks enough water to keep itself alive.

If you keep the ppm in line with what the plant is taking all the way through though then It"ll still cannibalise itself, leaves die off etc.
No risk of over feeding.
No risk of underfeedin and starving the buds and hurting the yield.

And probably most importantly.....

See when the you flush plants and the leaves die off because the plant liquidises the nutrients in them and makes them available for transport into the buds to make sure they stay alive for as long as possible.
It's a self defense mechanism to give them the highest chance for reproduction.
They eat themselves to stay alive.
But the point being that every time a leave dies, more nutes are pumped into the buds.. So at what point during this process are nutrients apparently being removed from the buds?

Doesn't make sense does it?

Because people still take the word of someone who's not changed their methods in 40 years over someone thats a new breed because apparently we lack experience lol.

Technically true but our science still counts for more.

Do a single, large plant in a 20-30l NFT, DWC or Wilma and you'll be able to see for yourself why most hydro growers say don't flush.

The ppm meter tells us not only how strong the feed is but how strong the plant wants it.

Towards the end of the grow, the nutrient intake does indeed go down massively but it doesn't stop.
About 3 weeks before the end it halves.
By 2 weeks to go it halves again.
1 week to go it halves again and after that it basically stops feeding and just drinks enough water to keep itself alive.

If you keep the ppm in line with what the plant is taking all the way through though then It"ll still cannibalise itself, leaves die off etc.
No risk of over feeding.
No risk of underfeedin and starving the buds and hurting the yield.

And probably most importantly.....

See when the you flush plants and the leaves die off because the plant liquidises the nutrients in them and makes them available for transport into the buds to make sure they stay alive for as long as possible.
It's a self defense mechanism to give them the highest chance for reproduction.
They eat themselves to stay alive.
But the point being that every time a leave dies, more nutes are pumped into the buds.. So at what point during this process are nutrients apparently being removed from the buds?

Doesn't make sense does it?
I was going to ask if the it would cannabilize itself if it was receiving nutes? But honestly my don’t appear to be deteriorating any and I’m pretty sure their ready for harvest but I have been wrong about that before. Does it cannabilize at the same rate with or without nutes? With or without flush?

I was going to ask if the it would cannabilize itself if it was receiving nutes? But honestly my don’t appear to be deteriorating any and I’m pretty sure their ready for harvest but I have been wrong about that before. Does it cannabilize at the same rate with or without nutes? With or without flush?
If you keep the nutes spot on then they eat themselves but not as aggressively as with a flush.
Spot on means about 500ppm 3 weeks to go. Then 250ish for a week then 100ish for a week and by that point they're ready to chop.
There's something called "ace growing" autumn color effect. I keep meaning to see how those guys do it.
There's is a more stretched out form of finishing process that they all swear gives a cleaner smoke. I've never tried it but the results certainly look amazing.

Back
Top Bottom