Heart-friendly strains?

George Mann

Hi.

I am looking for a list of (Indica?) strains that won't affect my heart-rate negatively.

I am very susceptible to having heart-attack like conditions from strains that increase my heart-rate. I DO NOT suffer from anxiety!

The medical qualities I am looking for are a strain for alleviating my aches and pains in the daytime, without making me drowsy, lethargic or too headstoned, and a nighttime strain that promotes sleep, while alleviating the above symptoms.

Thanx.

I too would like to know the answers to your question and will be watching for the replys

Unfortunately I don't think you will find a strain that does not increase your heart rate. It is the THC itself that produces increased heart rates.

I have done some research myself on the effects of various strains and the only thing I can suggest would be to stick with strains that are more designed for anti-anxiety. I know you said you don't have anxiety but these strains will probably give you the best results. Obviously like you suggested you want to stay mostly indica based. I have not tried these strains myself but they may point you in the right track.

Strawberry Cough
- This may be the better choice for daytime.
Grape Ape - This may be your best choice for night.

If you grow your own or will be, I have also read that if you over mature your plants you will lower the overall THC and increase the CBN & CBS. This may give you more of a stoned feeling but to avoid increased heart rate you should lower the THC levels. I would also suggest staying away from vaporizers as you are getting more pure THC from them. A thought, perhaps try getting some leftover vaped material & test with cooking. That may bring some satisfactory results.

This is just information I came across along my way, so I cant state this is correct by any means. But hey some info is better than no info.

very good advice dude and I agree with you, I think if you mature the trichomes to about 50% or more amber and use it to make Edibles it will give you a more body effect and better for your heart...this is just my opinion from things ive looked at :reading420magazine: I would also like to try those two strains you suggested ive heard good things about them both :cool:

I would also like to try those two strains you suggested ive heard good things about them both

You and me both buddy.

I'm a fairly new med patient and honestly I haven't had the opportunity to get any medicinal quality buds. I don't even know of a place around theses parts that I could even go and I don't feel to keen buying seeds of the net. So sad to say I'm still stuck with decent mids to say the best and who knows where they originated from.

George Mann - Just out of curiosity can you take part in cardio vascular activity's or does your doc have you doing some form of exercises.

Pres and Heavyherb, your information is priceless to folks like us. Thank you for sharing. I am sitting here in peaceful appreciation of your input.

Bliss and blessings,
Cannasunshine

Pres,

I can and do engage in cardio-activities without adverse affects.

You say that THC is responsible. Ok, but I and a few friends did not suffer from elevated heart-rate until the super-strains were introduced in the late '80's.

There was another poster on the web that claims to suffer from the same symptoms. He found that Romulan and AK-47 worked best for him.

You say that THC is responsible. Ok, but I and a few friends did not suffer from elevated heart-rate until the super-strains were introduced in the late '80's

Good point although I am not too familiar with the development of the super strains. But again the word super strains to me means increased THC levels, more then what you would of been used to.

I can and do engage in cardio-activities without adverse affects.

If you can do these things without issues, again it could be the THC being to much. One would think if you can engage in physical activities that get your heart rate up you should be ok smokin unless there is a medical condition underlying.

Now please don't take this the wrong way but have you ever considered that with these so called super strains and elevated THC levels, you could be focusing on specific things when you use. Thus the paranoia effect.

I have heard of several people that were faithful's and then all the sudden every time they smoke they panic.

Also, here is a question: I just began using a vaporizer instead of a glass pipe--ingesting THC vapor instead of THC and smoke. This creates a very different form of high. Less body and more in the cerebral as they say. Would vaping instead of smoking differ your physical, George?

How do you ingest your THC, George?

CannaSunshine,

I use to smoke it (20 years ago), and have never used a vaporizer.

Pres,

I do believe that an increase in the level of THC could be at fault. The symptoms I suffer from are different from a natural increase of heart-rate. It is as though I have been poisoned!

At least im not the only one with that problem, I just have to go easy, espescially if I've had a break from smoking. I find edibles alot safer, I've only had it happen from smoking. I actually thought I was dying once, very scary. I think since it takes longer with edibles to feel the effect your body has more time to adjust, even if u end up twice as "medicated". Jack herer can definately cause some thumps and skitters in my heart if I don't go easy- 1,2 hits and enjoy. I have a great strain for this, but it's clone only.

If I go with edibles, I will have to experiment , beginning with small doses to determine the correct amount to consume.

Can this be successful, or is it unpredictable?

If I go with edibles, I will have to experiment , beginning with small doses to determine the correct amount to consume.

I'd actually have to recommend against edibles - the problem is, if you over medicate or have a reaction, the effects last much longer than smoking.

I have problems with "super weed" making my heart race as well, so I usually try to get something with a fairly high CBD ratio - from what I understand, CBD and CBN negate some of the THC effects. I grow my plants till they have amber trichomes, which helps some - you might get a microscope so you can look at the color of the trichomes before you medicate. More amber should mean less effect on the heart rate.

FWIW, I don't experience anxiety mentally so much as it just manifests physically, with an irregular heart beat being the worst. Used to feel like I was going to die before I found meds to control it.

It can be predictable to an extent. When I first started eating I would take small mason jars with oh say an ounce of oil or butter per gram of bud and just cook trial amounts in several different potency's.

For example you could test with .5 gram of finely ground bud decarbed at 200-225F for 10-15 minutes. After you decarb dump it in the oil and just let the crock pot chill on low for at least 4-6 hours. Mix the oil in with something or just down it goes. As OBXGardener stated edibles can and may creep up on you with negative effects. Just be smart and always go slow, it will always be there.

I also did a little test yesterday with my vaporizer. I packed it up a little fuller then normal and filled several bags starting at 160C and took it up to 185C. This gave me probably about 6 bags. I can tell you my heart rate does noticeably increase at these temps. The good part I suppose is after cashing it out at 185C leaving the same stuff in it but much later on, I made a sudden jump to 200C then 210C and at those temps my heart rate felt within normal range. If I run the 200 temps without first running at lower temps my heart rate increases as well.

This may be useless info but hey I had fun testing it out... :ganjamon:

What a great conversation. Thank you everyone for your input and ideas and past experiences. Keep 'em coming on.

Having only ever eaten a few Canna Cookies made with Canna Butter by someone else a few years ago, I am looking forward to growing my own medicine so that all the possibilites of ingestion open up. I enjoyed the long lingering effects without feeling totally stoned. It's such a trip, pun intended, reading on the forums how to cook with cannabis.

By the way, what does FWIW mean, OBX?

Back
Top Bottom