Heavy Soil

ChesterC

My last six plants had a problem w/ stunting. I'm using 40 LED watts / sq ft so I have enough light (Advanced LEDs). I mixed my 100% Organic soil w/ about 20% Perlite. The plants all were stunted. Each time I flushed I was surprised how heavy the wet pots were (not my first grow) and how long they stayed very heavy. When I harvested the roots were primarily in the top half of the 3 gal pots I was using ... they were not at all rootbound. This was my first grow w/ this soil and I can't say I've ever had this problem before. Nutes were Farmers Pride 3 part organic.

So ... Will too heavy a soil stunt a plants growth ?

It's possible if the soil is airy enough for your roots to grow through easily it will cause stress to the plant and stunt it's growth because it is not getting the root development it needs. I highly recommend Fox Farm Ocean Forest mixed with Just Right Xtra.

If the roots were staying in the top of the pot, it sounds like your soil was not drying out towards the bottom of the pot. The reason I say this is because roots grow more in the absense of water. If water is available, they have no reason to go deeper in search of it. It would account for the extra weight of the soil. It just held water a little too well imho.

You were 100% definitely overwatering and it sounds like from day one. The roots never grew out because it was too wet. When watering properly (letting the soil go almost dry before more water is added) It forces the roots to search for more water. When properly watering you should be able to get a new seedling or clone to fill a 5 gallon pot with roots going out the bottom within 30 days, especially with 20% perlite.

Your soil was heavy because it was so wet all the time. When a smaller plant is put into a big pot it can take up to10 maybe even 14 days between waterings. Not spending the time to wait for your soil to get near completely dry is what caused your stunted growth.

^^^ What that guy said. I tried to say the same in fewer words, but in my case less was not more. His info is as accurate as you will find on these forums. Take it from a guy who got banned for defending his position with extreme prejudice. To limit this problem, start with smaller pots and transplant when roots are visable through the drain hole/holes.

Another idea is to test your soil before you attempt to grow in it. I don't mean some expensive lab test. I mean take your 3 gallon pot and fill it as you normally would when preparing it for planting. Water it as you normally would and wait 5 days. Then dig down about half way to see if the soil is dry. If it is, dig to the bottom and check there. If not, refill hole and re-water. Wait 10 days and check again. Repeat this until you see dry soil halfway through after waiting the selected period of time. This is quite handy if you will be using the same brand or formula for soil for growing over successive grows. Knowing your dirt is a requirement for even experienced growers.

Back
Top Bottom