Hello all: newb grower here

Weedian2112

Hey all - just fired off my first order for seeds from Seedsman. Looking forward to producing my own at home. No experience with indoor growing at all, or growing this type of plant. Planning on a tent setup with LED, 4x4 tent with a 1000w light. Looking forward to learning from the old hands and getting a good grow!

If there are any threads that are standouts please feel free to point me in the right direction!

Welcome aboard

What 1000w light, led or hps????

If led it's NOT 1000w so probably won't come close to covering that space

What medium ya using

What nutes

:welcome: to the forum...

A 1000W LED grow light will probably not be enough. The 1000W manufacturers claim is usually based on a sum of the maximum power the individual LEDs can handle, or it can be a baseless guesstimate of what the manufacturer thinks they can get away with. The truth is that LEDs are usually driven at 15% - 30% of their maximum rating. The 1000W light probably draws only 150 - 300W from the wall.

You will need 30 - 40W from the wall for LEDs to cover your grow area. Sixteen sq ft requires 480W - 640W from the wall. You'd need two Mars Hydro TSL-2000s or SP-250s for your space. They are a sponsor, check out them and our other light sponsors.

There's an excellent thread by someone who went through the planning earlier this year. If I run across it, I'll send you a link.

Going with a Phlizon Cob series 1000 LED. Going with a Dirt Martini soil mix from a local shop and planning on using the Fox Farms liquid nutrients.

That's what I was talking about. Looking on Amazon, this light has an actual power draw of 245W. Two of them would be very unlikely to give you the results you want. Here's something else to consider. The light has a beamwidth, usually 90° for most LEDs. The light must be hung at least at the same distance from the canopy as the most distant LED from a wall.

How tall will your tent be? You will lose one foot of that between the light and canopy. This can be much more for the physically smaller lights. Allowing another foot for your containers, and yet another over the light for a carbon filter, you have at least three feet less than the height of your tent in which your plants can grow. Unless you grow a SCroG, a 5 foot tall tent is pretty much useless for flowering. I recommend the 7'-8' tall tents.

That's what I was talking about. Looking on Amazon, this light has an actual power draw of 245W. Two of them would be very unlikely to give you the results you want. Here's something else to consider. The light has a beamwidth, usually 90° for most LEDs. The light must be hung at least at the same distance from the canopy as the most distant LED from a wall.

How tall will your tent be? You will lose one foot of that between the light and canopy. This can be much more for the physically smaller lights. Allowing another foot for your containers, and yet another over the light for a carbon filter, you have at least three feet less than the height of your tent in which your plants can grow. Unless you grow a SCroG, a 5 foot tall tent is pretty much useless for flowering. I recommend the 7'-8' tall tents.

So would that light work better in a 3x3 tent that is 72" tall? that was the other option I was looking at.

Hey all - just fired off my first order for seeds from Seedsman. Looking forward to producing my own at home. No experience with indoor growing at all, or growing this type of plant. Planning on a tent setup with LED, 4x4 tent with a 1000w light. Looking forward to learning from the old hands and getting a good grow!

If there are any threads that are standouts please feel free to point me in the right direction!

You said you're planning on a light.

Do your research first before buying any Light's.

Something called a1000w light, isn't always true.

The name they call it, isn't
always true.

Read the wattage that it draws from the wall, then you have the truth of the real wattage.

Remember, the primary goal is to separate you from your money and many try there best to fool you.

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

So would that light work better in a 3x3 tent that is 72" tall? that was the other option I was looking at.

Let me put it this way. My first light was a King X6 Dimmable 1800W COB LED Grow Light, that drew 315W from the wall, and was rated for a 5 x 5.5 ft grow area by the manufacturer. The COBs were each rated for 300W. I put it in a 2' X 4' tent, as I had read that more power was needed. With the power turned all the way up, I could still have used more. I had four plants in the tent. The two against the sidewalls produced 40% less than the two in the middle closer to the light. This light put about 40W per square foot into the tent.

Lights are the one area you should never go cheap (Low cost can be OK). The lights I recommended above cost about the same as my King, and are far, far better. I have a TSL-2000 running now in a 2' X 4' X 5' tent, and a TSW-2000 entering service in a 3' X 3' X 6'. I also built an adjustable 16-550W eight COB light for my 2' X 4' X 7' tent, as I was severely disillusioned by that King. The DIY COB array has not been above 350W, except for electrical testing.

I an sure even one Mars Hydro TSL-2000, or SP-250 will outperform two of the lights you are considering. Is there better on the market? Yes, but be prepared to pay two to four times as much to light your tent.

@SmokeSara is Mars Hydro's representative here. She will gladly answer any questions you have about their products. If you decide to go with Mars (or any other sponsor) check for discount coupons. Mars runs on a razor thin profit margin, yet gives our members a 3% discount using the code '420magazine'

so the tsw - 2000 pulls 310A from the wall and tsl 2000 pulls 300A from the wall as stated on their website?

Pretty much. There is some variation, as in all electronics. I think the actual values are ±5% or about 15W of those figures.

Welcome @Weedian2112 :420:, for your space, if you are looking at traditional blurple lights, you will need around35~50w/sft for your grow. That means at least 560w~800 from the wall if you want to grow some good yields. :circle-of-love: Don't look at the claimed wattage, look at the real wattage. That is all matters for plants' growing.

Thank you @Old Salt for recommending Mars Hydro. :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart: You are just like Mars Expert now. :D
For4x4 space, one of our TS-3000 (450w) or Two of the SP-250 (460w) or Two of the TSL-2000 (600w) will do excellent job. They will perform all good, but Two SP 250 and TS 3000 will save more energy,. Their PPE are all above 2.15umol/j up to 2.6umol/j, that is why they can save more energy while not influencing your growing result. :circle-of-love:

is mars the only company that states the true value?
I believe many great companies all will prefer to claim the true wattage, but price will be more expensive. The ones selling on ebay or amazon, where there is rat race there, the sellers will more likely to prefer to use the false info to draw more customers' attention. :Namaste:

Good to see ya man. Very cool hobby eh bro?

Attachments

• 20191005_202355.jpg
    20191005_202355.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 109

Hey Weedian2112:

Welcome to 420 Mag. We have an awesome grow light for your 4 x 4. Our 480w light is a great fit. All high quality diodes (Samsung / Osram) and it also comes with a meanwell driver. We only advertise true wattage and name our lighting accordingly. Here is a link.

It is a lot of value for your money and a 3 year warranty.

Best,

Budget LED

Cheers! Yeah - I'm pretty jazzed to get into it.

I want to do things right from the start, so I am taking a bit of time to get the right setup in place to get some gear growing.

Right on! Looking forward to watching the progess. Nice to see ya. I'm a 1st season grower as well. All the pics I post and have posted are my yeld pics. When I got these GG#4 *Gorilla Glue #4* clones they were a rescue. Place I go to couldn't sell them and had more coming in, so they threw them outside in July weather with no water, to die off . So I asked and got a funny look..like what are you going to do with those?? So we grabbed 4 doused them and started an outdoor grow. Using Old tires as a basin( tires as we all know hold water) so I stacked them, filled the inside diameter with Promix and sheep manure mix. And they took off! This is a couple of pics. None from day of, but picture a stick with brown yellow top. Pics I post are the plants throughout flowering. Not many on veg cycle because the weather was doing doing all the watering and the tires held moisture from rain fall. Very easy and interesting learning curves and ingenuity to get 60g of some of the best pot I smoked, just like where I've been buying it for 15$ a gram. Strong Stativa Strain, high in THC. We're getting this grow tested. I really appreciate the people here, I was unsure of harvesting and cure process. So I've been getting help with it. So welcome and I hopeyou like the pics.
DrBudRescuePhDnTHC

Attachments

• 20191005_202712.jpg
    20191005_202712.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 20191005_202126.jpg
    20191005_202126.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20191005_202106.jpg
    20191005_202106.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 20191005_074758.jpg
    20191005_074758.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20191005_074749.jpg
    20191005_074749.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20191005_012710-2-1.jpg
    20191005_012710-2-1.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 20191005_012934-1.jpg
    20191005_012934-1.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20191005_012710-1.jpg
    20191005_012710-1.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20191004_023553.jpg
    20191004_023553.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 101
  • received_485647625620115.jpeg
    received_485647625620115.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 110
is mars the only company that states the true value?

We only advertise true wattage on our lighting; even in our naming convention.

Back
Top Bottom