Help! Seedling cotyledons yellow and dying

Here is an update of the lemon skunk. SHe is still growing but the yellowing has gotten worse.

Lemon Skunk:
DSC_1776.JPG

Too much love will kill a plant quicker than anything... not sure what the problem is with the lemon skunk, but might be a PH problem.

The best advice I can give is to be as patient as possible with your plants as they need time to adjust to ANYTHING you do... changing their environment too often will shock and stunt them.

Yellow on old growth usually means the plant is using it's old leaves as food, but this doesn't mean feed them - often they can't eat if it's too wet, their roots haven't developed, or the PH of the soil is off... if the yellow moves to new growth, then you really have a problem, but so long as the plant shows signs of growing, just leave it and do the minimum of watering when it's dry... just let it sort things out for a bit.

Ok so this pertains to this post. My seedling that I have just planted and that was looking healthy has now fallen to the yellowing of the cotyledons. Is this because she is in MG soil? The water ph is 6.7 so I know that the water isnt the problem? Let me know if there is anything I can do to counter this? I'm afraid to try and transplant to new organic soil because of shock to the plant but if thats the only thing that will work I guess its best.

DSC_1782.JPG

Here is the older lemon skunk plant. And the yellowing has now spread to the tips of the second set of leaves. So did I just waste a lot of my time? because it seems theses plants are getting worse and aren't gonna make it? it was my first grow attempt I'm sure not everyone gets it right the first time. Anyway again the PH levels are fine BUT I have not checked the ph from the run off. If this is bad how to I fix it? Should I lower or raise the PH of the water to correct the issue with the soil? Anyway here is the picture.
DSC_17791.JPG

I've certainly had problems with MG soil and other plants; never tried cannabis, but it could be the culprit, especially if its the "moisture control" variety... over priced mulch IMHO.

I like to use inert media to start seedlings - peat, coir, rapid rooters.... 1/4 strength nutes... hard to mess up.

I still think you should do nothing but water it when it gets dry... it might recover... doing too much will certainly kill it.

Thanks OBCGardener. So I guess I'm gonna try waiting if there isn't much to do. I will just use rockwool for my next grow then transplant to organic soil. Will organic soil contain any nutes that could end up doing the sam damage as MG?

I really hope these girls make it again I've spent a lot of time and money on these plants and for them to just die would really suck. I'm hoping for the best!

Rockwool is OK - just BE SURE to presoak the cubes to get the PH down.

Nothing in organic soil should burn your plants unless it has not been properly composted.

SO I am suppose to pre soak the rockwool? what should the PH be for the rockwool? I didn't even no it had a PH haha. I just got a 6 new seeds and I want to do it right this time so I'm not wasting my time effort and money. Any suggestions since I'm still new at growing other then the help your given me? Thanks again!

Ok so this pertains to this post. My seedling that I have just planted and that was looking healthy has now fallen to the yellowing of the cotyledons. Is this because she is in MG soil? The water ph is 6.7 so I know that the water isnt the problem? Let me know if there is anything I can do to counter this? I'm afraid to try and transplant to new organic soil because of shock to the plant but if thats the only thing that will work I guess its best.

DSC_1782.JPG

High tnoldon,

That's a healthy looking gal. I wouldn't worry too much about the coloring at all. Remember the cotyledons act as food for your babies, so as they grow they use up the stored nutrients. As they are used there will be yellowing and eventually they will brown and fall off. So yeah she's looking good

Wow man that's makes me feel a ton better to here that! Thanks itsChrome! Glad to know she is looking good. As far as my lemon skunk plant which is like a miniature plant, what do you think of the damage that's already been done? Just tryingto get opinions form as many people as I can so I can decide what to do. She has been growing everyday and started her 3 set of leaves. But no kidding her leaves are half the size of the seedling!!

SO I am suppose to pre soak the rockwool? what should the PH be for the rockwool? I didn't even no it had a PH haha. I just got a 6 new seeds and I want to do it right this time so I'm not wasting my time effort and money. Any suggestions since I'm still new at growing other then the help your given me? Thanks again!

Yes, rockwool has a naturally high PH, which will make it impossible for the plant to absorb nutrients. You need to soak the cubes in PH 5.5 water overnight.

Get a $20 milwalkee PH tester and a bottle of 7.0 calibration solution - you don't really need it for dirt, but it will help solve problems.

The best suggestion I can give you is to read, read, read journals by the guys with at least 5 or 5 rep boxes - that usually shows they've been around long enough and are respected enough to be worth studying.

Just go through the "completed journals" by Munki, Setting Sun, IrishBoy, DocBud, etc, and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know.

Thanks OBXGardener for the advice! I just soaked my rockwool and will be putting my germinated seed in there soon (by the way the seed is by FLASH & the strain is Santa and its autoflowering) Also here is some new pics of the seedling she is growing fast!

Are the leaves suppose to drop like that? I only water her once a day and I don't give her to much so her roots can stretch, but I don't know what is or isn't normal since its my first grow ever. Also I included pics of my super small lemon skunk plant I will post pics of her actual size compared to a lighter and you'll see how small she really is lol.

Seedling:
SE2.jpg

SE11.jpg

(mini) Lemon skunk:
LS5.jpg

Oh! Well then I guess I'll let her dry out a bit then, the seedling hasn't been watered since yesterday morning so I'll hold off a bit. I haven't watered the lemon skunk in about 2 days. Its harder to tell without he seedling because I don't want to dig down to deep to see if its moist in case I injure the roots. So I'm guessing the droopy leaves are from over watering then?

Thanks for the help ItsChrome/OBXGardener! Ill check on her tomorrow morning and see if she is doing better and post the pics of course.

Make sure you take note of how heavy the pot is before you water, then after - best way to know how much water is actually in there. The top will get crusty before the plant will droop from underwatering.

Well....it wasn't over watering at all, I didn't water her all day yesterday and came home to an almost dead shriveled up plant :( I watered her right away and now its the morning...nothing she is as just not responding at all, and this was my plant that was out doing there others. I'm guessing her leaves were just droopy from weight? it couldn't have been overwatering why else would she shrivel up then? I really hope she pulls through. I'll post pics in a bit I forgot my camera so I'll use my phone its the best I can do for pics

I'm sad to post these pictures, but here is the damage that doesn't seem able to be fixed. Seedling, not enough water shriveled up! Lemon skunk.... way to many mistakes by me.

First the seedling. Mistake 1 grown in MG nutrient release soil, it was all that was around, mistake 2 not mentioning to people she was in mostly perlite meaning she can drain water fast, so not watering her regularly would and is killing her. Thats all I can think about that went wrong with her.
seed1.jpg

Second the Lemon skunk: MANY MISTAKES
1. not using proper light when i started the grow she stretched bad! 2. Not using proper PH water levels. 3. put literally! 1 drop of MG nutes on her! 4. transplanting her into MG soil. 5. messing with the amount of light she gets in a day. She was my first ever grow BEFORE I knew about this site. I messed up and am surprised she made it this far. But I wont give up!! Now with the knowledge given to mw by many people on here I'm starting a brand new grow! and I'm doing it right! proper PH water levels, adequate lighting, 18/6 light time, organic soil(no nutes added) and lots of love :)
deadLS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom