Help! Seedling cotyledons yellow and dying

Really they don't look that bad? what about the older lemon skunk. She looks like she is burning up bad her leaves are turning brown and its spreading. Is there anyway to stop that? I know the cotyledons are used as food, but a lot of people plants that are a few weeks old still have them on there and they are nice and green. Both my plants seem to have eaten them up in a few days, is there a reason for this?

So any idea if the seedling looks bad from under watering or over watering? Even know she had droopy leaves she looked fine.

Anyway again the PH levels are fine BUT I have not checked the ph from the run off.

If you aren't checking the run-off in a soil grow, how do you know that your pH is fine?

Your soil looks kind of heavy. Cannabis does NOT like to "stand around with wet feet," it should be a well-draining soil with lots of air spaces. Next time you repot, you might mix more perlite into the soil (and the perlite that is just sitting on top of the soil isn't doing much good).

MG soil has nutrients in it. Seeds have nutrients in them. Perhaps the seedlings got shocked when their roots hit the soil, started uptaking moisture, and got nutrients with it. IDK.

Good luck. Hope to see them pull out of their fussy stage.

Thanks for the info TourturedSoul your right and I need to check the soil runoff. The mix is only 1/3 perlite so next time I'll use more maybe 50/50? For my next set up I'm going to use beer cups bottom half will be perlite then a 50/50 mix perlite/soil, then 1/4inch of just soil on top.

I really hope she pulls I know she is small, its more or less a novelty plant now, but my other seedling is a good size for her age, but as you can see she has a problem herself now with under water.

Oh, if it's already 1/3 perlite then it's probably not as wet/heavy as I thought. It's just that when I looked at one of the pictures, I thought, "Mud."

(I'm not the best at "pictures," lol.)

Yeah, I thought the pictures looked like MG "moisture control" which is more along the lines of sticks and bark. Killed tomato plants I tried in it, and have never bought anything with MG on it again.

I know it's tough to watch those little seedlings crying for help and not DO anything... but seriously, I've had many a plant bounce back so long as the soil has just a BIT of moisture... too much will rot the roots, then they look like they are dying from lack of water, because they can't get any with brown roots.

It might be worth considering a "mini-hempy" for the future... it's the way I"m starting plants now no matter where they are going to end up - soil, hempy pot, whatever. Rapid Rooters work well as a seed starter, and OC+ works great as all the nutes you need. Hope some of this helps... ;)

I will try the mini-hempy next time. I have another plant started in rockwool would it be ok that transfer to the hempy? and I'm doing to try the DocBud method and do bottom half perlite middle part 50/50 perlite and soil and top 1/4 inch just soil. Man it is so hard to sit back and not be able to do anything, its my first grow and its been tough to say the least but I not the one to give up on things and I'll just try a new method. I hope they pull through, any thoughts on why they are yellowing and turning brown? is it nute burn from the soil?

Also! I learned my lesson the hard way. and I will NEVER buy MG products again! its hard to find soil there are no hydroponics store by me they're all 2 hours away from me. I'm thinking of driving to one this weekend though and getting some FoxFarm soil and nutes.

I used to make my own soil with peat, perlite, my own compost, and worm castings which Wal-Mart used to carry. MG peat is OK... if you add some OC+ to that, I'd think it'd grow plants just fine.

Is there anything at all I can do now? or do I just have to sit back and watch my babies die right in front of me :(

How do I stop root rot? I know now to not over water them so it doesn't happen. And I'll be using different soil and trying hempys this time.

If the plants were older, they'd grow new roots, and sometimes young ones will so long as the soil is not too wet.

In soiless media, you'd use H2O2 to kill root rot... but that's a whole different thing really...

I'm wondering if a humidity dome would help it hold on long enough to re-grow the roots... is there a plant doctor in the house? TS has more experience with this than I...

Also even know the bigger of the two plants has nute burn and is eating itself, she is still growing everyday she started a new set of leaves yesterday and continues to grow. but will the yellowing continue to spread to each set of leaves until there is nothing left?

How would I create the dome? Would I just use a clear bucket of some sort and just mist the inside of it?

Thanks for all the help guys!!! I'll def keep you posted on the situation! I'll be putting up new pics tonight. They will either be good or bad and I'm hoping for good lol. Also would the dome go over both plants or just the one with the very bad nute burn?

I'm really just guessing about the humidity dome being helpful... I would NOT put it over a plant that is growing... I was thinking of treating the seedling that might have root rot like a clone, where a humidity dome lets it live long enough to get roots and grow. Try the dome over the sickest plant, and remove it if it shows ANY signs of growing... it's easy to get worse problems with too much humidity, so you don't want it unless you have no other choice...

Ok well when I get home I'll check on the condition and see how she is doing. If there is no improvement then I'll try the dome and see if she pulls through. I give many props to people that have been able to grow successfully because this is no walk in the park, at least not for me lol. Thanks again for the advice OBX.

Ok well I just got home and bad news. the seedling has not gotten any better at all she seems to have gotten worse, she is barley alive and i watered her lightly since the soil was dry. Ill post pictures later tonight. The lemon skunk is still doing ok, but again its not great.

Back
Top Bottom