Help with plants new grower

FriedMushroomz

420 Member
Hello I need some help with my plants they are small for 2 weeks I’m not sure why they are small and starting to turn lime green and they have purple stems. GSC Auto Flower. I’m using 1 Phantom 750 growing light in my closet.

B982F947-1D6E-484E-89E7-765644B85E20.jpeg

3B592CDF-6108-44DA-9049-1F47A6EF7516.jpeg

3E7F4A3D-C049-455F-A873-77B0C127CA7E.jpeg

9B06F81C-8845-4B59-B135-F218397FD44B.jpeg

The light seems a bit excessive for seedlings , at that point a couple of cfl bulbs would be plenty. Have any nutrients or cal mag been added ? . I’m by no way an expert but I would suggest reducing the light ( further away) and adding a light feeding with a quality grow fertilizer and some cal mag properly ph adjusted.
Good luck with them .

The light seems a bit excessive for seedlings , at that point a couple of cfl bulbs would be plenty.

his light is fine. there's nothing heat or light stress related happening here. it could probably stand to be a bit closer judging by the reach.

Hello I need some help with my plants they are small for 2 weeks I’m not sure why they are small and starting to turn lime green and they have purple stems. GSC Auto Flower. I’m using 1 Phantom 750 growing light in my closet.

B982F947-1D6E-484E-89E7-765644B85E20.jpeg

3B592CDF-6108-44DA-9049-1F47A6EF7516.jpeg

3E7F4A3D-C049-455F-A873-77B0C127CA7E.jpeg

9B06F81C-8845-4B59-B135-F218397FD44B.jpeg
My autos done the same thing. Slow down on watering/ and start to feed when she drys out completely. And you could probably move your light a little closer to combat the reach she’s wanting. Go half strength on the nutes the first few times then gradually increase as she gets bigger.
As for the purple stem, most likely stress, light intensity, or just the plants genetics if she’s overall a healthy plant.

I water them when the top inch or so is decently dry, everyday or two to three days, I have a humidifier in there and I’m using organic fertilized plant medium mixed with a cedar mulch top soil on the top, no nutrients, have not tested any ph or anything yet
I would wait a day or 2 longer next time on watering.
What’s your humidity at?
Ph range I would see what your media suggests
And pick up a kit to adjust as needed.

get us a pic in natural light. your light is too warm (yellow) to get a proper read.
you're either suffocating them or they are starving. one way or the other somethings fucked. nothing's fatal yet, but they could use help soon.

I water them when the top inch or so is decently dry, everyday or two to three days,

you could be overwatering and suffocating. have a look at @Emilya 's seedling and potted plant watering guides. there's a link at the bottom of this post in my sig.

don't freak, you'll get there. everyone has growing pains - :p - when they first start out. it'll be ok

watering / feeding can be tricky for newer folk. actual (organic) soil can be the trickiest to get ... mostly cause we have a tendency to want to do stuff. it's best to let the plant teach. our job is really just get environment and nutes right

I have a humidifier in there and

they may not need it. seedlings from seed like it dry. it's clones from branches that like a high rh.

I’m using organic fertilized plant medium mixed with a cedar mulch top soil on the top, no nutrients, have not tested any ph or anything yet

is it branded or something you made ? ph could be a factor soon depending on media.

The little plants are looking basically OK and anything that might be going wrong could be fixed. Nothing drastic enough that it cannot be fixed.

Lights are probably the right distance from what I can see. There is some stretch in the excessive spacing between the soil and the cotyledons but from there up the spacing between the nodes looks tight and should be OK. Since they are 'autos' you will have to get advice from the other 'auto' growers on transplanting. If you do transplant you could bury the stems about half way up.

get us a pic in natural light. your light is too warm (yellow) to get a proper read.
Yes.

"Warm" light as is used in photography and/or painting, not as in the temperature or heat it produces. The yellow light is hiding the true color. You mention that they are turning lime green but the photo does not show the true colors. Use proper light for the photograph and the group can see if there is anything to worry about or not. Plus we could tell if something worth knowing about is happening to the tips of the leaves.

Turn off the grow lights and use normal white room light. Being as they are in small cups you could put them on the window sill to take photos if you want.

I water them when the top inch or so is decently dry, everyday or two to three days, I have a humidifier in there and I’m using organic fertilized plant medium mixed with a cedar mulch top soil on the top, no nutrients, have not tested any ph or anything yet

Not to bring bad news or anything, but some growers have reported cedar chips to be likely to change the PH in soil and creates unbalances and other problems like nutrient lockout. Cedar is acidic and could be throwing off you watering and could become more obvious if you start using fertilizer.

you could be overwatering and suffocating. have a look at @Emilya 's seedling and potted plant watering guides. there's a link at the bottom of this post in my sig.

don't freak, you'll get there. everyone has growing pains - :p - when they first start out. it'll be ok

watering / feeding can be tricky for newer folk. actual (organic) soil can be the trickiest to get ... mostly cause we have a tendency to want to do stuff. it's best to let the plant teach. our job is really just get environment and nutes right

they may not need it. seedlings from seed like it dry. it's clones from branches that like a high rh.

is it branded or something you made ? ph could be a factor soon depending on media.
It’s a mix of what I made and miracle grow full organic

It’s a mix of what I made and miracle grow full organic
Much better photo. What I had seen that had looked like a browning on the ends of the leaves in the earlier photos is not showing now so it probably was caused by the yellow color of the lights and possible shadows. And, using the white light does seem to help the camera focus for sharp clear photos.

For my growing I do not have a problem with wood chips in the soil mix. Some of the biggest and the well established companies that supply soil mixes already have partially decomposed wood chips added in.

What @danishoes21 mentions earlier. The cedar mulch is not decomposed yet and it could have a real effect on the pH of the water and that can affect the pH of the soil. It is almost impossible to get a pH reading of your soil yourself. My recommendation is to carefully remove the cedar from the top of each container and replace with more of the potting soil without disturbing the plants.

Back to your original concern. I do not grow autos but have read many, many threads about auto seedlings growing slower than photos early on while the plant is building a root system. Also a lot of members mention about being careful to not disturb the growing plant or its root system at this stage otherwise the plants tend to really stall their growth and sometimes never get tall at all.

I have had this same issue.

Mine was a mixture of issues.

Over watering, light to far away, and chilly.

After I lowered the light, which kept it a bit more warm, and stopped over watering.. They took off

I use clear solo cups for seedlings. Cut out numerous areas to promote breathing and root growth. Then set them inside another clear solo cup. This way I can watch roots, and visually see moisture/condensation in the dirt.

Personally I have also used miracle grow. With good and bad results.

It's a hot soil for seedlings. Which I think works opposite for younglings.

I also have a vendetta against wood chips. Why in the hell do the companies keep adding more and more to soil. Makes me wanna jump the fence to dro.

I have had this same issue.

Mine was a mixture of issues.

Over watering, light to far away, and chilly.

After I lowered the light, which kept it a bit more warm, and stopped over watering.. They took off

I use clear solo cups for seedlings. Cut out numerous areas to promote breathing and root growth. Then set them inside another clear solo cup. This way I can watch roots, and visually see moisture/condensation in the dirt.

Personally I have also used miracle grow. With good and bad results.

It's a hot soil for seedlings. Which I think works opposite for younglings.

I also have a vendetta against wood chips. Why in the hell do the companies keep adding more and more to soil. Makes me wanna jump the fence to dro.
I'm with you on that Ogpapa, my expensive bag of Coast of Maine soil had all kinds of chips an twigs

Back
Top Bottom