Hempy Headquarters

Hey, thanks again!

One more question if you don't mind, I have a seedling (started in a coco puck) currently in a solo cup hempy with straight 100% perlite. When watering/feeding in the solo cup, is it best to drench as much of the perlite as possible or just focus around the seedling? And I guess that extends to the final container too; after transplanting, is the hempy method to just water with a complete batch (let's just a gal of 1/4 strength nutes for arguments sake) and soak as much medium as possible on the way to overflowing the bottom rez a bit, or should the plant only be watered with a limited amount of feed early on, closely around the roots until they find their way down to the rez? Thanks again for your time.
You always want to encourage roots to reach out - and after a couple of days, you really don’t know where they are under there - so I cover the entire surface. You can’t overwater hempy.

I bet someone will likely report a good experience, but it would not be me. MC is as organic as I would go. ;)
The results are quite compelling (I read your thread on your 6lb grow) but I'd rather not do chems. Maybe I'll try one side by side at some point.

I would love to see that! :thumb:

IMO, the thing about organic is that it is intended to feed the soil, which doesn’t work in coco or perlite. That isn’t to say that “organic” means the same thing to everyone. ;)

I would love to see that! :thumb:

IMO, the thing about organic is that it is intended to feed the soil, which doesn’t work in coco or perlite. That isn’t to say that “organic” means the same thing to everyone. ;)
Well, organics generally add stuff to the soil in a state that is not available to the plants. Instead, microbes are required to break the material down so it can be fed to the plants. Think oyster shells. Really good calcium in there, but initially hard as a rock.

But, there are ways to pre-digest the inputs so that they are plant available when you add them. Theoretically it should then be just like feeding bottled nutes.

The microbes are an advantage in an organic grow in that they work symbiotically with the plant to feed what is needed when it is needed, so you'd lose that. But on the other hand there is no denying the incredible results that can be had with the Hempy approach.

So, probably worth the experiment. I'm rooting an ivy plant that I think I'll use as the test case. I guess the risk is having the organic matter in the reservoir go bad before the plant can use it up.

IMO, the thing about organic is that it is intended to feed the soil, which doesn’t work in coco or perlite. That isn’t to say that “organic” means the same thing to everyone.
i love hempy but i did get the fixings to whip up some organic soil for outdoors and have no problem top dressing the girls with some kelp meal or Aerated Ewc in straight perlite. I think you are right about not letting any of that go anaerobic but even though we call hempy passive hydro there is quite a bit of action to it.
But, there are ways to pre-digest the inputs so that they are plant available when you add them. Theoretically it should then be just like feeding bottled nutes.
This.

kelp meal or Aerated Ewc
This is precisely what I tried (in addition to fish emulsion - yuk!). I suppose it could be okay once the plant is draining the reservoir every day, but organic material quickly goes south sitting in a warm, unaerated reservoir.

You always want to encourage roots to reach out - and after a couple of days, you really don’t know where they are under there - so I cover the entire surface. You can’t overwater hempy.
I'm worried I may have over watered my hempy. r/sarcasm

She's about 6 days old, I just moved her into this hempy cup with 100% horticulture grade perlite. Watered the surrounding area with 1/4 strength nute solution, until runoff.

8 hrs later and she was not looking happy so I unpacked her a bit from the perlite, is it possible the coco jiffy puck is keeping the little roots water logged? Guess I'm not sure anymore exactly how much water I should be giving at this stage, perlite seems to be retaining a lot.

20210710_121333.jpg

20210710_201608.jpg

What Azimuth said. I have seen issues with peat pucks, so I wouldn’t be surprised if a coco puck was similar.

Were the roots really sticking through the mesh covering the puck when you put it in the perlite? Because if they weren’t, it isn’t too late to do some surgery on the puck.

I've seen growers having very good success just germinating right in the perlite after soaking the seed for a bit, like overnight.

To me, you're just adding complication to the mix with the two different mediums. If it were me, I'd just go straight perlite and skip the rockwool.

The perlite will wick up enough moisture to keep the seed happy while at the same time providing a lot more oxygen than the rockwool, as good as rockwool is.

That rockwool will be just like the puck - it will saturate and hold water. I don’t have any issues starting seedlings in straight perlite. Scuff the seed hull, soak until it cracks, plant ~1/2” into perlite - preferably pointy end up. If you‘d like to see this, it’s in my 2020 journal. Just make sure to put some water in the reservoir.

I've seen growers having very good success just germinating right in the perlite after soaking the seed for a bit, like overnight.

To me, you're just adding complication to the mix with the two different mediums. If it were me, I'd just go straight perlite and skip the rockwool.

Very interesting. What the heck I'll give it a try. So what's the watering schedule like for the first week? Just keep the perlite wet and water till runoff?

I understand the concept that we want the roots to chase the water/nutes down into the res, but if that takes upwards of 2 maybe even 3 weeks, am I just wasting water and nutes and risking waterlogged roots in the first week by saturating the perlite? Or is there a rough amount of days after germination where it's safe to just water the surrounding area rather than the whole volume of the container until runoff?

Very interesting. What the heck I'll give it a try. So what's the watering schedule like for the first week? Just keep the perlite wet and water till runoff?

I understand the concept that we want the roots to chase the water/nutes down into the res, but if that takes upwards of 2 maybe even 3 weeks, am I just wasting water and nutes and risking waterlogged roots in the first week by saturating the perlite? Or is there a rough amount of days after germination where it's safe to just water the surrounding area rather than the whole volume of the container until runoff?
No need for nutes the first week or so. The seed has its own it'll be using up first.

The perlite will wick the water up from the res, so you can water it if you feel the need, but shouldn't be necessary unless you live in a super dry climate and the perlite is drying out too fast.

Also, my theory on why people experience a stall after potting up clones is that there's enough moisture in the perlite that the plant doesn't have to work to find it. It just sits there fat, dumb and happy while some roots meander down to the reservoir. So, letting the plant dry a little will speed up the whole process. There's a fine line however because it doesn't have super well established roots so you don't want to let them dry out too much.

Hey @FelipeBlu, how does Hydroton compare to perlite for hempies, about the same or is one materially better than the other, and if so, how?
I have never used hydroton, but it has less surface area than perlite, so it may not wick as well (?)

Ok, thanks. I'll probably do a side-by-side in an experiment I want to do with organic nutes. I suspect you're right, but that probably matters the most early on before the roots find the res?

Maybe could mix the two, also.

Back
Top Bottom