Hi newbie in this area

I did the bin bubbleponics thing, I actually think the bin works for the first 3-4 weeks. I am doing 3 and now things look crowded I can now see where they say do 1 or 2. But I am looking at making a bucket system for the future and flower. I am going to run what I have through to harvest. In the mean time think about what I have learned.

Also if your going buckets go black(home depot) no white and such all to keep light out of the res me noob just what I have read and picked up. I am 63 and learning this hydro stuff

The buckt system is part of my decision to avoid having a tangled up root system and not having the option to easily buckets . Call me Eeyore but, I'm concerned about the plant in progress may not even survive to flowering.

And yes i know all about keeping the reservoirs as dark as possible.

You need to fill in that net pot like I mentioned in the last thread

All those holes allow light into your water and will make goopies and bad stuffs start growing

Like I suggested, focus on one way of growing in DWC, no top feed until you grasp the entire process, but it is yer grow, just trying to help

Good luck bud

Those holes came from the stakes trying to install the drip hose. I will fill them in.

So glad I decided to clean out the reservoir and I am astonished at the amount of slime that was building up in a month old, unused water supply always aerating and circulating. Im happy my roots didn't get much exposure to that water. I've already sterilized "Everything" ...

For now she's resting in a 5 gallon with a good air pump. I get paid in 5 days while I contemplate buckets or bin.

I have a new seed jumping UP! I just place a new seed an inch down directly in the jiffy peat to germinate and in just 2 days covered with black, It's already jumping up. Im glad she's already nestled in it's permanent rockwool home so she'll never need transplanting. I'm hoping she'll be ready for her toes to get tickled by the bubbles in about 3 or 4 weeks and they'll have a permanent home by then.

PS

I am made a nursery out of a viny blanket bag with zipper just big enough to comfortably hold 2 rockwool cubes an about 6 or 7 inches to grow. And hopefully won't need much attention except watering until the roots grow down.

When or Should I, start some nutrient irrigation to the seedlings?

I am a noob but this troubles me "start some nutrient irrigation to the seedlings? " to me get roots in res with nutes until then keep moist wait it out with PH'd treated water maybe.

My rapid rooter plugs were saturated but I did have a tap root looking out the bottom of my pots. Tap root hit res I turned off top feed things exploded from there

I see this is an issue that has all the earmarks of my causing total confoundment.

I'v come here tossing out confusion without giving sufficient history. I apologize!

This plant has had a pretty rough start by my inexperienced hands. She's the lone survivor of 3 bad seeds that took 5 days to crack and barely germinated and 2 never took to root. Her 2 or 3 roots aren't even hardly showing through the bottom of the 4" rockwool cube yet and the basket is kept under an inch above the bubbles. Im doubtful the roots are seriously developed as of yet or if they will. But for now I'll stop the top feed.

It'll be about 2 or 3 weeks before any new seeds will be ready for the move to the DWC environment.

So, I'm thinking about switching to 2 or 3, 5 gallon buckets to make overall maintenance much easier; or is that a no no ?

Either way, At least, I'm moving her to a proper holding pot for a day or two while I give the reservoir a badly needed water refreshment and nutrients, also the installation of a serious bubble column beneath each basket.
sounds like a plan. rockwool is great for nft and normal hydro ect but for me, it is not an ideal medium for our systems. It does stunt the need for the roots to leave the blocks abundant supply of water and search for other resources. It onlyb takes a little water to saturate them once the block is full so ideal for drip feeds ect.. but constant supply just gorges the cube constantly. your roots then struggle to take in anything from choking, in effect !.
If you are using single buckets then bigger is better i think. easier to deal with ph , if circulating then 20L is the standard i think. i am on 20L and there was plenty of root space to fill and still some room at the end

My rapid rooter plugs were saturated but I did have a tap root looking out the bottom of my pots. Tap root hit res I turned off top feed things exploded from there

I have the nursery/greenhouse arranged with glass marbles over an airstone keeping the water moving and with rockwool about a quarter inch above the marbles water reservoir not wetting their bottom and hand watering 1 or 2 times a day. If there's any roots reaching out, there's nothing to tangle any "rootlings".

As far as using rockwool, when I bought them, I was told that the root system relies more on gravity than anything else and keeping a steady stream of water from above while washing down over the roots was supposed to draw the roots downward with oxygenated and nutrient rich water.

If anyone has seen the movie "Finding Dory" when all the seagulls are shouting "Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine ". Well searchŕing the WWW for how to grow marijuana, is like a thousand seagulls all shouting "Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine; from all over the world! It's a dizzying experience.

My biggest issue with hydroponics is the G-Damn PH. My budget wasn't including a laboratory packed full of science and chemistry!!!

AND, ALL THE DAMN READING!!! I'm 64 and and diabetic, with vision and reading problems: And the "old dog, new tricks" adage fits my life perfectly.

I thought growing would relieve me of the expenses of buying my half ounce a month needs, but at this rate, i won't see a return on my my investment for a year or so. Over $400 spent so far and the science is threatening to grab another Hundred or more... Perfection is always the most costly approach to anything, but with my first attempt at growing hydroponic pot is not going anywhere near the simplicity I had hoped for.

I did the bin bubbleponics thing, I actually think the bin works for the first 3-4 weeks. I am doing 3 and now things look crowded I can now see where they say do 1 or 2. But I am looking at making a bucket system for the future and flower. I am going to run what I have through to harvest. In the mean time think about what I have learned.

Sorry ya'll! I lost track of this thread a while ago. Been mostly hanging around in my first thread "Seeking Sympathetic Guru".

That old project with topfed hydro was ill fated and a lost cause so i ditched everything and went over to "Bubbleponics ";

Now my second plant is an explosive success "IN SPITE OF MY BROWN THUMBS" and earlier failures to comprehend the process. Now that I'm getting the hang of Bubbleponics, and getting familiar with "autoflowering cannabis", I'm expanding to 4 to 6 more pots cooking at once.

I scuttled the first 2 because the rockwool had stagnated and the roots had gone to rot.

Thus plant was transplanted into Bubbleponics on March 1st and it's approaching full veg and starting pre flower.

In about one or two weeks, I'll be sowing a bunch of auto's to get me up and running.

I hope she tastes as good as she looks!

20190414_010151.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_122836.jpg
    IMG_20190414_122836.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom