Scrog questions, Please Advise. Thanks

CrimsonBlitz

Hello, and thanks for dropping in. This is my first scrog grow and I was curious how important moving moving air is on the plants. My cabinet dimensions for the flower room is 36"L X 12"W X 42"H with an 80CFM inline duct fan and carbon scrubber. The Air flow on the plants is inadequate and I have no room to put fans above the screen, so my question is will 2 6-8" fans below the screen provide enough air flow to my cannabis plants?

IMG_41472.JPG
IMG_42761.JPG

my next concern is I'm growing Critical kali mist, I've heard its a stretcher and only have 13 1/2 inches max above the screen to the CFL ballast, is this enough room for the colas? should I flip to 12/12 at 4 weeks?
Finally I was hoping to bring my screen even closer to the soil, its currently at 8" would 6" be to close if I LST the plant and keep in veg for 4 weeks?
Thank you for your feedback, Looking forward to your responses.

Oh man, I know who you need to talk to.
But for now, you're talking about 6"-8" room fans right? Not in line fans? I think that should be good as long as you're replacing that air with the 80cfm. The screen distances and all that, I don't know... You need to speak with WizHigh. He's doing a journal with the scrog method. His journal is called 1.5
Hit him up with some questions. He's knowledgeable and helpful.

Very nice looking scrog setup Crimson Blitz! I definitely would recommend for a scrog very good air circulation, especially in flower when the canopy gets pretty full. I ran a scrog for a few grows (feel free to check out my journals for info) and usually defoliated the canopy decently to allow good air exchange from below to above the canopy. The one time I decided not to defoliate I got Powdery Mildew, so definitely would recommend a fan below the canopy as well as 1 above if possible.

If you don't have room for a fan above you can design your "intake vents" bringing air into your tent by negative pressure are below the canopy. This should pull the cooler air under the canopy and help keep the plants cool as well as it will pull air up through the canopy and help cool the foliage. You can do this by placing a small vent on each side of your grow box, just make sure its light tight. With CFL's you shouldn't have too much heat building up as long as there is good airflow from intake to extraction fan.

In regards to your question about veg, with scrog there really isn't a set time frame for veg. You want to veg until at least 3/4 of your screen has a top growing in it and its full. This way when you flip all of those tops will grow upward and become nice fat colas.

Another hint I leaned, is try to do your scrogging a few hours to a day after watering, the stems are less brittle at this point and maneuver much easier without snapping. If you do when the plant is thirsty it seems that branches break much easier.

Very nice setup either way and with what you have now you can grow some mighty fine herb :) I think you will be fine with the 8" gap between screen and top of the pots/soil. A little extra room is nice when feeding the plants and also trimming up the plants when needed for care.

Great job on the scrog, can't wait to see it in effect :)

Thank you icemud for the kind words and advice:Namaste:. I actually have a light proofed, passive intake 1" hole drilled through the bottom right side and two 1" holes for the intake that leads into the cure room before exiting through the exhaust. Unfortunately I feel almost no air flow from the intake, which was my initial concern. I do know the air coming through the intake will easily blow out a lighter or suck a piece of paper through. I wonder if I should drill a second 1" hole to allow more air flow? Don't want to lose my negative pressure environment though. I did try mounting a fan above the screen or even attaching a fan directly to the ballast, however I wasn't able to accomplish this due to lack of space. I am hopeful that I'll come across a small kick ass fan that'll fit into a 3" wide space, then problem solved :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm looking forward to reading your journals IceMud and again thanks for the great advice!

Hey CrimsonBlitz welcome to 420!

Elious & Icemud provided you with great info. Icemud has a bad ass scrog in his journal It's definitely worth taking a look. He has great info on scroging.

With limited over head space due to the bigger CFL I would move that 1 socket over to the left once they've reached above the scrog or switch to some smaller size CFL's. also I would flip the lights before they get threw the scrog. Because with that extra stretch during flower they will run out of head room. But there's also a light schedule 10/14 for flower instead of 12/12 that will keep your plants from stretching and focus more on the bud production.

Now as for the fan blowing, if you'll be using that fan in the picture that will be fine enough, there's also 4" fans online or you might find them at a local hardware store or hydro shop that you can super glue on the wall or even nail it in. I have one for my clone room. You don't want alot of wind blowing your plants around because you would be making it harder for the plant to photosynthisize and the leaves will be flip flop over & soon curve growing. Fans are for keeping the RH down as Icemud said to prevent mildew at any stage of the plants life. You want a RH of 50 or below. I my self prefer 30.

Also as Icemud said theres no specific time to flip to flower but you do need to make sure your plants are mature enough to flower. And to make your plants mature faster run GLR light schedule for veg. Also topping your plants will make them mature faster as well. I explain GLR further in a link I provided below. As well as the GLR light schedule

And to keep your plants short in that space you can run GLR for veg. I have a thread done on this topic of benifits using different light schedules. GLR vs 16/8-18/6 Light Schedule! <<< Click the link to check it out.

normal_G-V-F_fit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom