How do I germinate seeds?

soak your seeds in a quart of water with a tablespoon of bleach soak overnight then take a damp cloth I like j clothes myself fold it putting your seeds in the fold thenfold againand put in a cool dark place check daily until they sprout. Using bleach kills any bactieria or mould on the seeds

What it comes to is common sense and learning not what is best for all, but what is best for you. I tend to look at how things grow naturally without human interaction, and then incorporate my own little trials and tribulations into it. I'm not sure using a bleach solution on my seeds would be beneficial, but then again i have not tried it so i would not know.

if you dont like bleach use hydrogen peroxide 35%food grade but most people use bleach for laundry Ihave used both with success but I do prefer peroxide less harmfull to our eco system in fact most european countries use 35%peroxide for water treatment as well as public swimming pools by the way it is a natural product of nature also known as ozone but be very carefull follow the directions itis also dangerous check aerophonic supersonic on the net

5 pero

use one tablespoon of regular laundry bleach or the same amount of hydrogen peroxide35% food grade into a quart of water leave overnite rinse next day put into damp folded j cloth using the bleach or whatever simply kills moulds and fungi before your babies germinate nothing more happy planting

using bleach or peroxide I have found both work well I would not risk germinating seeds without making sure all mould and fungus spores were neuatralized before planting I hate wasting my time and money I also use th same method for my tomatoe seeds

Hello
I am having a lot of trouble getting my seeds to grow. I can get them to germinate quickly, but out of the last 25 I planted two weeks ago in Root Riot cubes, only six popped up. Two are about three inches long with only the top leaves. The other four are small, and stopped growing. I only add Thrive Alive to the water. They are in a propagation dome at about 76 degrees. I have a 200 watt CFL and 2-400 watt MH lights. 18 hours on and six off.. I am loosing a lot of seeds, but worse, I am loosing crops. I do clones the same way and have no trouble. I have lost close to 50 feminized seeds since last summer. I just ordered some more seeds and 4 of your germination kits to see if this makes a difference.
What am I doing wrong??

Ah no that dudes mistake is the humidome eon seedlings - doesn't allow enough light in unless its only 2" tall humidome. You can't use the 6" or 7" humidome for germinating and should instead use 23 or 26w CFL 2" above the seedling to keep her from stretching upward and falling over.

I've used the 7" humidome with no problems, they stretched tall but were hearty enough to handle it. Sea Kelp is a great additive in low quantities for seedlings - they always thrive on a bit of sea kelp.

when germinating seeds never forget mould spores and who knows what else can be present on your seeds so make sure that is loooked after first. you can use 1 tablespoon of bleach or 35%hydrogen peroxide food grade to your overnite soaking solution I prefer the peroxide myself as it has that great oxgenating capacity directly to your developing root systes

I've never used anything but tap water, though they say distilled is better, and though I've only been through 2 rudimentary grows, I've germinated probably a hundred seeds or so...and virtually all of them work, even with crappy bagseed. Even with obviously weak seeds... it's like they're MEANT to grow! Just like train said, 24 hrs. in water, then put between moist paper towels and keep dark and tepid (I just did well over a heating pad meant for seedlings) and maybe a day or so you'll see taproots.. Don't use any nutes at all, just put it in growing medium, taproot down, 1/4 inch or so, don't pack it down or put anything heavy on top and the next day or two and you'll have a little sproutling... virtually everytime regardless of seed quality...if you can't break the seed by pinching it, it'll work almost every single time.

I have Rapid Rooters but the last one I germinated, I just used 3 or 4 paper towels, wet them down but not dripping, put the seed in it and fold it into a square just small enough to fit into a zip lock bag. Place the bag on top of my computer for a little warmth and 24hrs or less, I have my tap root.

ok i am doing my first grow, i have my seeds in the paper towles, and 2 of the 5 cracked...still waiting on others, the only reason why i havnt placed my cracked seeds in my rockwool is because they say it muct be 5.5 pH for the rockwool to soak in, my pH materials wont arrive in the mail for another week...please help me out with this, can i by pass the pH for the germination and sprouting process?

Well, your def not going to be able to wait another week. I would say that you wold be ok. You have to do something right? Or just start them out in soil. You could always get some of those little 1qt pots or solo cups to use. I have used solo cups and they work just fine. Poke some holes in the bottom for drainage. Fill it with soil. I myself moisten it enough to where I get a little dripping out of the bottom. I let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes to drain. I use a pencil and make a hole about a 1/4 deep. Place the tap root facing down. Cover loosely. I guess it's either something like that or go ahead and use the rockwool. JMO.

ok i am doing my first grow, i have my seeds in the paper towles, and 2 of the 5 cracked...still waiting on others, the only reason why i havnt placed my cracked seeds in my rockwool is because they say it muct be 5.5 pH for the rockwool to soak in, my pH materials wont arrive in the mail for another week...please help me out with this, can i by pass the pH for the germination and sprouting process?

Put the seeds in if they're already cracked. Use the same water you used to wet the towels. That worked, didn't it? A week being watered with unadjusted tap water is a lot better than leaving them in the paper towel.

wow thank you guys so much, i need ass much as help as i can get...how can i keep in touch with you guys on here this is my first time using a forum as well. i would like to keep up to date with you guys to show you my progress!!!!

Back
Top Bottom