How does PPM in growing mediums change as water evaporates?

LLsBestGo

Can PPM increase as water evaporates from the growing medium after using liquid fertilizer?

Example situational question:
A metaphorical 0 PPM growing medium that holds 4x it's weight in water is watered with 50 PPM until fully saturated.
After said growing medium dries, how will the growing medium's PPM have changed if no nutrients were lost or used by a plant?
Will it increase or decrease from 50 PPM?

doesn't matter. if you have a glass of water with junk in it, the ppm will rise as the water content drops. that's what ppm is - parts per million - less million more parts.

however, you are going to lose a certain amount of mineral content with the evaporation. it's not a one : one equation. it is also incredibly irrelevant to growing, as there are so many more variables, it would be simplistic to draw a straight line from one to another.

doesn't matter. if you have a glass of water with junk in it, the ppm will rise as the water content drops. that's what ppm is - parts per million - less million more parts.

however, you are going to lose a certain amount of mineral content with the evaporation. it's not a one : one equation. it is also incredibly irrelevant to growing, as there are so many more variables, it would be simplistic to draw a straight line from one to another.
If my growing medium hold 2x its weight in water & it's recommended I feed my plants 100 Parts per million would it be best to feed them closer to 50 PPM expecting evaporation & an increase in PPM?

Back
Top Bottom