How long will mixed nutes last?

If I mixed 1/4 strength Big Bloom nutes into a 1 gallon jug, does anyone know how long that sealed feed will last? I only water about half a liter every 3 days, and feed every other watering. So it might be a few weeks before I go through it all. Is there anyway to tell if it has gone bad?

I probably could. But it's also not too big a deal to toss it either. lol. A gallon of RO water costs 79 cents for me and I only used 1/2 tablespoon of nutes. :laughtwo: I just didn't know if it would keep longer. Next time I will just mix a half gallon.

I probably could. But it's also not too big a deal to toss it either. lol. A gallon of RO water costs 79 cents for me and I only used 1/2 tablespoon of nutes. :laughtwo: I just didn't know if it would keep longer. Next time I will just mix a half gallon.

Why do you use RO water?
Did you know that these plants have been growing and thriving for millions of years - - without RO water?

If your water is safe for YOU to drink, its ok for your girls.

~ Auggie ~

Why do you use RO water?
Did you know that these plants have been growing and thriving for millions of years - - without RO water?

If your water is safe for YOU to drink, its ok for your girls.

~ Auggie ~

I dont drink my tap water though. It is 280ppm and pH of 8.4

That tap water sucks dan. 8.4 holy shit.

Exactly why I buy RO for my lady. :rofl:

A lot of the spring waters for sale at my grocery store are a high pH as well. RO is 7.4 so it's pretty close to 6.5 when I mix nutes. Then I dont have to use a lot of pH adjusting chemicals.

mine is 8.5 and just under 500ppm,I drink it and use it for hydro(when rain water isnt available)

I do send it to get tested and change my nutrients accordingly

Right out the tap? Are these really big water districts. I'm 6.8 out the tap. Just curious highest I've seen in these areas is right below 8

yeah its a pretty big draw,the coral reefs in the tank don't like it,but the plants don't seem to mind.

this is city water,my well was a higher ppm

Mine is city water as well. Here is the breakdown from my water facility

Water Chemistry
Hardness: Approximately 140 mg/L as CaCO3 (8.2 grains/gal)
pH: 8.6
Sulfate: 94.4 mg/L
Chloride: 27.6 mg/L
Magnesium: 17.0 mg/L
Calcium: 27.0 mg/L
Ammonia: 0.24 mg/L

Aside from the high pH it actually looks pretty decent

That's funny how water can vary from area to area so much. Wish I could have well I'm receiving large water bills as of late. Was even higher with my ro flying through the gallons.

My tap water, what one might call city water or at least got from local water company is on average PH 6.5, PPM 500.

It does change at times but may depend on where the water is sourced from & mainly in times of drought !

To be honest most water companys have strict guide lines for water for human health & tested many times before coming out of your tap... ye ok i work in horticulture i've looked after green house, poly tunnels veg/herb gardens all of which have used mains/city water supply for the last 20 years, i mean it will be a long time before i flap around with RO for growing in soil etc... just my opinion !

Also bed rock can effect PPM/PH, if the water is pumped out from deep under ground... bed rock & different types of rock have mineral content which can vastly differ from one type or the other & also PH which can effect water which can also include local soil out doors PH value for example !

Mmm it is really a bigger picture to look at the end of day :love:

My tap water, what one might call city water or at least got from local water company is on average PH 6.5, PPM 500.

It does change at times but may depend on where the water is sourced from & mainly in times of drought !

To be honest most water companys have strict guide lines for water for human health & tested many times before coming out of your tap... ye ok i work in horticulture i've looked after green house, poly tunnels veg/herb gardens all of which have used mains/city water supply for the last 20 years, i mean it will be a long time before i flap around with RO for growing in soil etc... just my opinion !

Also bed rock can effect PPM/PH, if the water is pumped out from deep under ground... bed rock & different types of rock have mineral content which can vastly differ from one type or the other & also PH which can effect water which can also include local soil out doors PH value for example !

Mmm it is really a bigger picture to look at the end of day :love:

Exactly why I choose to use RO water. Tap water is to inconsistent. If a problem occurs during a plants life cycle, I know that at least the water I have used is a constant factor and the variable comes from something else. :thumb:

When I fill my fifty gallon res's I run a hose over to them. My tap water usually comes out at about 7.1 to 7.5 range. I have learned that I need to put an oz (a shot glass) of Ph down to get it to the 6.0ish range we all seek. About a month ago I ran the hose in, threw 30cc of Ph Down in and filled it up. When they were all done I Ph tested it and it came in at 4.8 "Huh?" I think. "What the hell? Did I zone out and put two shots in?" Tested again. Yea, the pen is calibrated ... hmm.

So, I go in the house and run a glass of water and Ph test it. It tests at 6.0 right out of the tap. So, I call the water district and talk to the nice lady. I told her what I found and she says, "Yea. Joe has been on vacation so the tank hasn't been ph'd in a long time." I was kind of taken back and asked for more info ... "We've had a lot of rain this last month, and that changes the ph. We like to adjust it to the 7.5 range because it's easier on our pipes, reduces rust, and it tastes better. But Joe is our chemist and he's been away for a couple of weeks so the ph has gone out of range." I said, "oh", and she said, "Hope it hasn't affected your crops." (There is a LOT of MJ grown in this area so she knew why I was calling - and I may not have been her first call on the subject.) I explained that I always check and make adjustments. She said Joe would be back in a couple of days and it would go back to normal - and it did.

I don't have a PPM meter. Been growing for four score and seven years and never needed one ... I don't even know how to spell PPM. I can see where, in SOME areas one would be needed - but, I just never needed one. My girls are happy with whatever PPM they're getting.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom