How many of your US gallons of soil = a European liter?

Spain1

Googled an hour, specifically say soil but always liquid comes up...have 20 liter fabrics for Photoperiod outdoor, what would that equate to in your US gallons ? So I can understand feeding / watering etc thanks + I'd like to try growing a tree this year, not a large plant, something like 7ft tall and 6ft wide.

Googled an hour, specifically say soil but always liquid comes up...have 20 liter fabrics for Photoperiod outdoor, what would that equate to in your US gallons ? So I can understand feeding / watering etc thanks + I'd like to try growing a tree this year, not a large plant, something like 7ft tall and 6ft wide.
20 liters is 5.28 gallons, you're not going to grow a tree in that. I use that size in my tent, and could probably get them to about 3-5 feet and 3 ft. wide before they become rootbound. Gallons and liters can be a liquid or solid measurements, it's by volume. It is also complicated a bit because while a 5 gallon bucket is 5 gallons, a 5 gallon pot is in "trade gallons", and is only 3.9 gallons!! Not sure if fabric pots are true liters/gallons or trade gallons..

Oh, I don't know. You can grow a pretty big plant in a 5 galon SIP. @Buds Buddy grew an auto that was maybe 6 feet tall by 4 feet wide, so pretty good size. So, maybe not oak tree size, but more like an ornamental flowering cherry. :laughtwo:

I included a pic of Buds' plant in the first pot of #SIP Club. (Link in my sig)

Oh, I don't know. You can grow a pretty big plant in a 5 galon SIP. @Buds Buddy grew an auto that was maybe 6 feet tall by 4 feet wide, so pretty good size. So, maybe not oak tree size, but more like an ornamental flowering cherry. :laughtwo:

I included a pic of Buds' plant in the first pot of #SIP Club. (Link in my sig)
I kinda think that's more the exception than the rule, but I could be wrong. BudsB is a very seasoned grower.

I kinda think that's more the exception than the rule, but I could be wrong. BudsB is a very seasoned grower.
True, but all I'm saying is that you can grow pretty big plants even in a 5gal. Bigger pots would allow for even larger.

Googled an hour, specifically say soil but always liquid comes up...
Because what is being measured is volume and water is the standard used. A gallon of water is the same volume as a gallon of soil. For what you want to know then a quick comparison is a US gallon is 4 liters; not exactly but it is a quick comparison.

Something else to keep in mind when measuring using teaspoons it is a level teaspoon unless what it says otherwise. Occasionally there will be a recipe that says something like heaping teaspoon when measuring a powder.

The easiest google search for comparing gallons to liters is:
gallons = liters

Over here we can buy a pot that claims to be a 5 gallon container but if it is filled with soil it only contains 4.5 gallons. I will measure across the top and the height of the pot and use google to ask:
volume of a cylinder calculator
Keep in mind that if measuring across the container it is the diameter. Some formulas will go from the center to the edge which is the radius. I just look and make sure I put the right number (diameter or radius) in the right place. A decent web page will let the user choose metric or Imperial (US).

Then there are the occasional pot or container which is not round. The question for google is:
volume of box

It can be done. My biggest plant indoors is in a 3gal fabric pot. Followed closely by 5gal fabric pots. This photo is of the hobos ladies.

Now that they've put on weight with buds the branches are a bit lower. But I bet if I grabbed 3gal plant, and bent the center stalk up that I bent over a month ago, it would be over 7ft. None of them quite 6ft wide, cause of limited space, and the light throw.

Good question - US Gal 3.77L, metric Gal 4.55L
I have 10L [meticulously verified by me] cloth pots labelled as 5Gal, so totally wrong either way
I was at school during the introduction of the metric system here, so C/f, oz/G, "/mm, M/Km is second nature to me
Still buy 8' x 3" x 2" timber though, not 2400 x 75 x 50mm [convention wrongly rounds 1" to 25mm, 1oz to 25g etc]
Imperial mathematics is an imprecise nightmare - ever tried working out the area of a 12.5" dia. circle?
Remember, π = 22/7 not 3.14159...
Good luck with that lol

Then there’s an imperial gallon, which is 20% more than a US gallon! Long ago I worked at a gas station, and had a guy try to tell me the pumps weren’t right and he wanted a refund, because he put 23 gallons in his cars 20 gallon tank, he pulled out his owners manual to show me. That’s when I noticed his car was made in Canada and the tank size was in imperial gallons, I sent him on his way!

Back
Top Bottom