Looking for help choosing my final plant pot size and type?

DeadHeadTed

420 Member
Hay everyone :)

Im a money-concious buyer but also looking for the best plant pot i can get.

Im currently using round 8 liter (1.76 Imperial Gallon / 2.1 US Liquid Gallon) and growing

3x Blumatic Auto (Height Indoor 60 - 75 cm / Height Outdoor 70 - 100 cm - Current = 33/29/28 cm)
Harvest month 8-9 weeks after sprouting - 3-4 weeks left and started floweirng 2 days ago.

1x Royal Cheese Auto (Height Indoor 40 - 70 cm / Height Outdoor 60 - 110 cm - Current = 41 cm)
Harvest month 9-10 weeks after planting - 4-5 weeks left and started floweirng 2 days ago.

3x Dance World (Height Indoor 60 - 100 cm / Height Outdoor 80 - 120 cm - Current = 30/25/23 cm)
Harvest is stated as early October - 3 months left and still vegging.

on a basic window ledge situation that gets around 9hrs of direct sunlight (clouds permitting) a day.
They were planted (after germination on tissure paper) and are all 5 and a half weeks old now :)

Im looking for help on what plant pots to go for next as im trying to save as much space and money as possible but am also worried about becomming root bound.

As i understand it the Smart Bags (those soft ones) prevent the plants becomming root bound so i would assume they would not need as much space but a website i was looking at says that i would need to buy one twice the size of the regular pot i would buy :-s. This true?

A cheap method i thought of was to buy a large 13 liter plastic bucket as they are super cheap and drill holes in the bottom. Would adding a fabric around the interior help slow down them becomming root bound?

Lastly, any ideas of how long i should wait to repot them? Due to the size checking the roots would be awkward but not impossible i guess.

Thx for all ya help guys! :-D

p.s. any other advice on my situation would be very appreciated too :)

13 litre bucket would be fine for most standard autos used them a few times. As u say drill holes in the bottom.will produce a big plant.also always go straight into ur final pot with autos;) for best results;) but of ur growing a superior auto like dutch passion beans.there autos grow huge
Mostly all i grow.but a plant that size u want a 5 gallon smart pot that will ensure she grows into a full beast without going root bound.the autos ur growing with there quick life span will enjoy the buckets;) hope this helps.happy growing every1;)

I was in this situation a few months ago trying to decide what to grow in.

Smart pots and Air pots were either way to much $ or completely out of stock. I ended up buying 5 gallon buckets and just drilling holes in the bottoms. So far they are working great! Might change it up for the next grow but if the harvest I get is acceptable I will continue with 5 gal. buckets for now.

These are 2 of my CKS Auto Early Miss in a 5 gal. bucket. (Had no choice but to either kill 1 or put 2 in this bucket.)

Above ground since April 24/16.

2016-06-24_20_07_26.jpg

I agree that the 5 gallon in-store brand of 5 gallon buckets would be the best choice financially and space-wise. A larger root ball = higher yield. You should have enough root space to see the autos to harvest.

Just as a comparison this is another CKS Early Miss above ground since April 24/16 in a very small pot.

2016-06-28_12_31_41.jpg

Go for at least a 5 gallon pot/bucket/bin. From what I've seen on here most people go from 18oz solo cups to 1-3 gallon pots to 5-7.5 gallon pots. Of course this all depends on your height restrictions and particular strains you're growing, if they'll need that much space or not. However, it'll never hurt to have extra root space just in case. Home Depot 5 gallon painters buckets work great and are fairly cheap too! Just remember to make plenty of drain holes not only on the bottom of the bucket but also about 2-3 inches up from the bottom on the sides. Hope this helps! .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thx everyone for the replys :)

AKgramma/Sharksbreath I have also seen the bulk of people going up to 5 gallon too but i was hoping to go with les place for my plants :)
thebeast27 i watched a vid last night "How to grow like a pro" the High Times grow guide and at 38:53 he says that a 3 gallon (13.6 liter) is fine for 3-4ft (92-122cm) plants too which is the size mine are said to grow too so it looks like thats going to be the size to go for based on yours and their reccomendations :)

Cheers everyone! :)

Back
Top Bottom