How much PM is OK if washing buds?

Hi, things seem to change by the hour on my outdoors grow. One girl is close to the end and is having some pm issues. I have been spraying with defguard @ 3 day intervals for a couple of weeks. I don't want to ruin the bud flavor any more than I might have already. It's a bacteria spray. We're in for damp cool days and nights.for the next few days with little sun.
She has been clear looking til an hour ago. A few small lower branches are going gray on leaves and sugar leaves too. How long do I have to correct it? Does pm cause bud rot in hours? Days? Should I pull the plug, or just the afflicted areas? First timer here having a nervy. Thanks

First off. Powdery Mildew will not ruin your buds. It needs air to breath and can not survive inside a bud. You mentioned that the sugar leaves are starting to get it. You will probably loose some trim but the buds themselves won't be hurt. One thing that should be mentioned. Powdery mildew is a pain in the ass. It is not dangerous. While it is considered a mold it will not hurt you to smoke it. Washing buds and other precautions can mitigate that even more.

Should you pull the plug? I wouldn't because of the PM. If the coming weather is as bad as you say Then that might be a reason. Outdoor crops are always effected by weather. Lots of different crops have been harvested just because there is to much risk letting it continue. I will let outdoor growers help you with that.

With that said it is better to not have PM. I used a mix of 1 1/2 tablespoons bleach in 32 oz of water. It controls PM pretty well in the late stages of flower. It evaporates in a couple days so. As long as you give it a day or 2 it will not effect flavor. I have seen no hair or trichome damage when I used this solution. It seems to work and is not overly invasive like some of the over the counter remedies.

First off. Powdery Mildew will not ruin your buds. It needs air to breath and can not survive inside a bud. You mentioned that the sugar leaves are starting to get it. You will probably loose some trim but the buds themselves won't be hurt. One thing that should be mentioned. Powdery mildew is a pain in the ass. It is not dangerous. While it is considered a mold it will not hurt you to smoke it. Washing buds and other precautions can mitigate that even more.

Should you pull the plug? I wouldn't because of the PM. If the coming weather is as bad as you say Then that might be a reason. Outdoor crops are always effected by weather. Lots of different crops have been harvested just because there is to much risk letting it continue. I will let outdoor growers help you with that.

With that said it is better to not have PM. I used a mix of 1 1/2 tablespoons bleach in 32 oz of water. It controls PM pretty well in the late stages of flower. It evaporates in a couple days so. As long as you give it a day or 2 it will not effect flavor. I have seen no hair or trichome damage when I used this solution. It seems to work and is not overly invasive like some of the over the counter remedies.
Jackalope, I got lost and didn't reply to this awesome post you made. I guess I may have read it or was told by another helpful grower here because I remember the point you make. Much appreciated friend! Sorry for the late note!

I've used both SNS 217 and low fat milk for PM. Both worked fine spraying twice a week and drenching the whole plant. I do bud wash at harvest if I use any of these.
Rifleman, you're another good grower I lost in my madness. Thanks for the help! I ended up using something called defguard, a bacteria of some sort. It worked well and we had a happy ending after all. I washed as well. Both plants taste fine and we have bud for quite a while. I don't like getting lost like that and I'm glad I got caught up with you.

This old house I live in seems hold it deep in all the cracks and crevices. I have cleaned everything best I can. I am sure there is still dust older them most people on this site floating around. This place was built in 1905 lol. I now treat all plants as if they have it. I have found that the plants don't mind the treatments so better to treat stuff that's not there then to not treat and let it get a good foothold.

This old house I live in seems hold it deep in all the cracks and crevices. I have cleaned everything best I can. I am sure there is still dust older them most people on this site floating around. This place was built in 1905 lol. I now treat all plants as if they have it. I have found that the plants don't mind the treatments so better to treat stuff that's not there then to not treat and let it get a good foothold.
I'm thinking of getting on board that train. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.

g'mornin friends,, just a note,, i had some powdery mildew on my lemon skunk plant outdoors this year,, cuz of cold and wet,, and i controlled it with a spray of isopropyl alcohol and water, a 50% mix of 99%alc and water. spray well, does not hurt the buds, plants or anything but mould, bugs and mildew,,

cheers friends,, oh, and no resistance to iso alc,, perfect

Keep your temps up. PM thrives at temps under 80-85°F
So much to learn.
g'mornin friends,, just a note,, i had some powdery mildew on my lemon skunk plant outdoors this year,, cuz of cold and wet,, and i controlled it with a spray of isopropyl alcohol and water, a 50% mix of 99%alc and water. spray well, does not hurt the buds, plants or anything but mould, bugs and mildew,,

cheers friends,, oh, and no resistance to iso alc,, perfect
Thanks Nivek, another arrow in the quiver!
Edit: I wonder what % alcohol melts trichs?

yes, indeed, one should wonder about that,,

but not for long,, i have been using this spray for a few months now,, for spider mite control,, on my fully developed buds,, yikes,,

but no worries,, does not affect the buds at all,, not even a smidge,, even if the slightest dissolvation takes place,, the alc evaporates very quickly leaving all the goodness behind

least that is the way it works in my mind,, ha,, cheers

Back
Top Bottom