How To: 10oz per plant perpetual indoors

What about Bucket and Net Pot size? I will use my 4'x4' tent for veg and buy a 8'x4.5' tent for flowering and add more lights (using 650W LEDs similar to these click here. I intend to set up two E&F, one for each tent. I will buy clones to start in veg, but want to do a perpetual grow giving them 2 months in each tent and follow closely your recommendations on medium, topping, and scrogging.

I saw that you mentioned about experimenting with bigger buckets? Should I do 5 gal with 10-12" net pots, or 6, 7 or larger gallon buckets/tubs in flowering? What would you suggest for my 2 month vegging?

Ruby, it sounds like have big plans.

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "net pots". No net pots are used in this method. You might want to re-read page two of this thread. For a two month veg, I would suggest doing it the same way as outlined in this thread. I wouldn't expect the same yields with LED lighting.

Hi Capn, I really like what you do. I have been reading and rereading your posts and have learned a lot for you so far. I haven't had a chance to put anything into practice yet. In fact, I'm still a little over a week away from even ordering my setup, and because of cost my first grow will be soil, but my second will be your ebb and flow bucket style. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone.

SweetLeef

Hi Capn, I really like what you do. I have been reading and rereading your posts and have learned a lot for you so far. I haven't had a chance to put anything into practice yet. In fact, I'm still a little over a week away from even ordering my setup, and because of cost my first grow will be soil, but my second will be your ebb and flow bucket style. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone.

SweetLeef

Hey you can easily make this setup for less than $70 and your local supply store. Check out my DIY in my signature, which I also derived from the Capn's original idea ;)

SweetLeef

Hi sweetleef, welcome aboard and glad to hear you are learning from the articles.

A 1cu ft bag of grow cubes is $24. A bag of premium dirt is $22. Is it the $15 water pump and $10 in PVC you don't want to buy? Seriously, go with the cubes... your plant will grow MUCH faster during vegetative growth, so you'll be ready for flower so much faster. Your harvest will come at least 3 weeks sooner if you go with the cubes. Your closet will stay clean. Less chance for bugs, easier to correct PH and PPM mistakes... ah... the list goes on :)

Look at some of the experienced growers around here growing in dirt. They STILL have problems with deficiencies, lockouts, spotty leaves. Dirt is for house plants.

Unless you're an OLD guy with grey hair, then go with dirt. :rofl:

Capn I have read and reread your posts I'm an old guy with grey hair switching to hydro to increase yields and your ebb and flo looks like something I could do. I have 5 gal air pots and two 400 watt LEDs and a grow space of 6'X6'. I would like to use the bucket system my questions to you are this
What is the minimum water level need to soak the root zone? With reduced temps how often and for how long do I need to flood the root zone?
Plus reps+

Capn I have read and reread your posts I'm an old guy with grey hair switching to hydro to increase yields and your ebb and flo looks like something I could do. I have 5 gal air pots and two 400 watt LEDs and a grow space of 6'X6'. I would like to use the bucket system my questions to you are this
What is the minimum water level need to soak the root zone? With reduced temps how often and for how long do I need to flood the root zone?
Plus reps+

>>>I'm an old guy with grey hair switching to hydro to increase yields

Now THAT is funny! I hope you all know I'm kidding about the old guy thing... mostly. :)

This is a good question, Harley. First of all I would like to say that since I wrote this article, I have done MUCH comparing, and have found I can get the exact same results by top feeding, instead of flooding. I've been top feeding since, with the exception of recently I went back to ebb and flow in a side by side comparison. There's no difference. Top feeding completely saturates the cubes, and allows you to use a lesser volume of nutrients in your reservoir (saves money and hassle). It also simplifies things and gives you more flexibility in your pot selection. Here are some pictures demonstrating the power to top feeding:

Check my "simple hydroponics" article in my signature for more ideas on top feeding.

To answer your question, whether you are top feeding or flooding, you can irrigate for with a cheap 15 minute timer. So 15 minutes, times X per day. Typically you will do once a day in veg, then twice a day in veg once the plant gets really big (2 ft tall, 2 ft diameter). Then when you go to flower, 3x a day for the first few weeks, then twice a day for a month, then once a day in last few weeks of flower. You can lift up on your pot an hour after irrigating and note the weight. Then wait 5 hours. If you notice it's lighter, you can irrigate again.

It does depend on your pot size too. The larger your pot, the less you need to water. But don't stress about it. Unlike dirt, it's almost impossible to water too much with the cubes. As AG found out... when the plant gets large, it really sucks the water up out of the cubes, and one time a day is just not enough.

Almost forgot. If you're flooding.... flood at least 1/2 way up the cubes, preferably 3/4. Also, when flooding, it is necessary to manually top feed (pour a pitcher of water over the top of the cubes) in order to flush out the salts that build up at the flood line.

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes. I would encourage you to root two clones, and stick one in rockwool cubes and one in dirt, under the same light. S1ingblade did this and the cube plant was at least 50% bigger after a month. Remember you'll need to keep the PH around 5.8-6.1, and PPM will be less than you've fed in dirt. The good news is you don't have to worry about measuring the run off ph or ppm any longer!

I'm not sure what your plans are for plant count, but with your 6x6 tent, you could do a couple big ones in totes like I showed above, or even better, you could buy a 4x4 tray like sling did, and put 1- 4 air pots on it, with one tote underneath.

DSCN07737.JPG

A 1cu ft bag of grow cubes is $24. A bag of premium dirt is $22. Is it the $15 water pump and $10 in PVC you don't want to buy? Seriously, go with the cubes... your plant will grow MUCH faster during vegetative growth, so you'll be ready for flower so much faster. Your harvest will come at least 3 weeks sooner if you go with the cubes. Your closet will stay clean. Less chance for bugs, easier to correct PH and PPM mistakes... ah... the list goes on :) :rofl:

If it was just the ebb and flow vs soil aspect I would be full on ebb and flow. I was never interested in soil in the first place. The problem is I don't have an appropriate room or closet to do this in, so I need to buy a tent, the fan and filter, etc. I have spent hours online and in and out of stores pricing components and trying to find the most cost effective method. Since I am setting up completely from scratch and I have other monetary issues that are pressing. It will cost me about half as much to start with soil as it would to E&F. I don't have a garage full of odds and ends to use, I need to buy everything and the list of supplies is quite a bit longer compared to soil.

I have got to get some medicine growing for my sister and I simply cant wait to get everything together. Seriously, you don't have to convince me, having no growing experience whatsoever, It's pretty obvious even to me that your way es EL CAMINO! I'm fully onboard. Circumstances are not currently in that favor. I was just stopping by to introduce myself and to thank you for your knowledge and expertise.

Thanks AG, and I will make that setup. It just wont be my first setup. It's a difference of starting in November or the end of January. I can get this rolling now with soil or wait a couple months and give life a big ol' chance to get in my way. I will get to the bucket! I sub'd your grow too.

Thanks to you both, and everyone else in this thread.

SweetLeef

Totally understood, Sweetleaf. A $10 bag of miracle grow might be the way to go for you, then you don't even need to buy nutrients. There are hundreds of miracle grow threads out there.

If you do want to take a stab at the cubes, there is an even simpler way. You can put a 2" layer of lava rocks in the bottom of your pot, and then fill the rest up with cubes. Then put your pot in a little drip tray that holds a few inches of water. Then just hand feed every day. The roots will grow thru the lava rock and sit in the tray and soak up water. As long as you don't leave too much water in there, the inch or two of water will be fine, and allow the plant to go a full day without being watered. I do it like this during late vegetative growth, when I don't want the hassle of hooking up a recirculating system.

There was a guy on iseemag who did this... rockwool cubes in a rubber maid tote, hand fed them every day. He had a little tray in the bottom and it would catch the run off. In the bottom of the pot he used hydroton. It is worth a look. Search google for "400W HPS SCROG 450gr harvest" and you will find it.

Actually, I'm getting TGA Supersoil for the purpose of not adding any nutrients. A friend of mine has a decent sized operation and runs just Supersoil and water, and his girls are bangin'. So I'm going to try his way and then I'll try something like yours. The simplicity of my buddies grow reminded me of your buckets.

I'm just really excited to start the field work. I've spent the last couple of months staying up WAY too late reading about this stuff and I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

I just read the first page of the NBG grow you mentioned. Very cool stuff. I know what I'll be doing while I'm up WAY too late tonight. I'll start a journal as soon as I have something to journal about. Thanks for the advise.

Alright Capn,

I am assembling my online shopping carts, and will be ordering the stuff for my Capn Style EbbnGrow this week!

The 4th read of this How To starts.........Now! :) ;)

Hi,
And thank you for the info.

I just have two quick questions.

How tall is your veg room and how tall is your flower room?

Thank you again,
Much love and respect
Nate

Another quick question, if you don't mind.

After you flood and drain, the water that drains back into the reservoir. Do you drain that or re use it?

Thank you,
Nate

Back
Top Bottom