How To Clone A Cannabis Plant

I did a practice clone the other day.
I soaked my grodan in a solution with a ph of about 5 to balance out the higher ph of the grodan. I simply sat it in the window for a few days- it seemed very happy.

Yesterday I added it back to my plants, and since my clonex just arrived I took a tooth pick and put a small amount in the hole with the cutting- I'm not sure it was necessary at that point, but I'm allowing for "learning"
If it didn't work, I have much nicer plants to cut from... and sadly I only have a 6 container hydro kit...

I took the cutting from a very small plant, as I have a few nice bushy plants I didn't want to mess with. That little plant responded very well to my topping it- so all are doing well.
This weekend I will drain and change solutions for flowering 12/12

Can I take a clone from a plant that has already started to bloom?

How Long has it been blooming? I have herd that if it is EARLY in the Bloom, You Can take them and Give them Nitrogen after the rooting (Which takes longer because its trying to bloom) And 24 Hour Light and should bring it out. Again keep in mind this is only if its in the first week MAYBE 2 Of Bloom.

I am only in day 6 of the flower cycle, yet the smell of only 4 plants is consuming. Mind you, I went out to get a Homedics professional air purifier 3 days before flowering.

This is the perfect time for me to clone, yet I honestly have no room for any more plants- much to my dismay. I have one empty spot, but nothing large enough to house and root the clone. What I use for seeds is too small. I have only trimmed a few leaves at the bottom- not the massive leaves. Last time I replanted a clone it fizzled...
I honestly didn't give it enough time to properly root.

I'm bumming as I love this strain- yet I have tons of seeds.
There is one tiny plant being dwarfed by huge leaves- even with mylar she remains dwarfed. I'm curious to see what she will do as there is tons on new growth on her.

I have 4 baby clones, I took preflowering, hence my mama plant took off into a bush of cola's. I have a multi cola plant anyhow, now it's really bushy.
I wasn't sure about one or two of the clones, but they seem to be perking up- I may just have to replace 1. We'll see.

I found a clear storage container to house bigger clones since the only thing I had was seed starters. It worked out great at 6" high (12''x6"x6")

Something I think is of importance to some is that many people are giving too much moisture to the rooting area. There is a fine line between moisture and saturation. Unfortunately, this is also something one has to find for oneself. My early attempts at cloning, trying many ways all the way to an Aeroponics machine and all work, my success started when I would allow the fragile stem to absorb the moisture and no nutes 'cept some rooting hormones and of course, the pH is correct. Not saying gospel, but I found over watering to be sort of common. This is just the way I do it. Probably wasted lots of hours.

Hey...AWESOME tutorial...
a question if i may:
i got 8 nice 'clone starters' followed directions completely (i did use other gro-friend recommended rooting powder and nutes) and my set-up looks identical (got lucky there at my local hydro store...) with a natural occurance of condensation within the dome!
They seem a little "droopy" so far, but not appear to be dying outright. Is this normal and can i expect them to 'bounce back'?
Thanks y'all ... as i do NOT want to have to WAIT to buy clones...and NOT have 'dry spell"...lol...i'm venturing into the perpetuation of an AWESOME strain!
...stay tuned...
CHEERS
:thanks::welldone::goodjob:

There are many ways to successfully take cuttings and thus "cloning" from your mother plant. You must vent the dome on an "as needed" basis. Too much moisture is a bad thing. There is a fine line between the level of moisture and the ability of the plant to uptake liquid for survival If they don't show roots as fast as you'd like, have patience. I once spent over 8 weeks (61 days) to get a (rare & exotic) cutting to finally show roots. I almost tossed her many times, but gratefully, hung in there because that vibrant green color was always aparant showing that life was happening to this plant; just took its' sweet ass time. Those fragile cuttings are getting their nourishment from the moisture in the dome because they have no root structure. BUT it can take on an environment that is too damp. I wouldn't use any form of nutrients for the first 2 weeks. Way too powerful for these fragile cuttings. I absolutely love "Rapid Rooter Plugs" because they do have some mild nutrients in their composition, have planty of moisture in the plug to begin with and I see a success rate of over 90%. Once placed in my power clone machine, I really have to do nothing until it's time to relocate those babies. Oh, also use the adjustable vent openings in the dome. You'll get a feel for what is the best way for you. We all have done the wrong thing but with good intentions. We all had to start with our first. Loosing a few, while in your learning curve is simply part of the process. Good luck to you, and may your first harvest be a bounty...

THANKS TO ALL THE GROWERS THAT SHARE THERE TIME AND KNOW HOW,,TO TEACH US NEW GROWERS HOW TO GROW,,THIS IS A GREAT SIGHT,,MAYBE I'LL GET ENOUGH LEARNING THAT I CAN SHARE IN THE HELPING OF OTHERS,,ALSO,,THANKS SO MUCH TO 420,,FATBOY53:goodjob:

I want to try cloning this year and have been reading through this info. I can't find the definition to auto flower so I don't know what it refers too or if the ones I have are autoflowering.

My clones I just got are still small (about 8") but have started growing lower branches that I want to remove so they will be off the ground. (These will be an outside grow as soon as I get them adjusted to the time of darkness.) So anyway I plan to remove these branches anyway, so is there a chance that I can clone them?

My first grow last year was the greatest pot I have ever smoked and I have now been a year pain free. Thanks to those of you here for making it a big success.

I always try for the lowest branches to become clones. Don't want them anyway as the stretch and rapid growth the plants take on upon entering their flowering phase will eliminate any decent light reaching them anyway. Try for 2-3 nodes for your clones as more leaves will not necessarily root faster, rather the plant needs more moisture than it can absorb. Rooting powder will definitely increase your success rate but (IMHO) the moisture from a dome is far more important than any other single factor. Proper pH is essential too. One can even take a branch and bury a portion (between nodes) and roots will form off the stem. Remember this is a weed and if pampered too much, will not necessarily yield a happy plant. I tend to pamper, it's in my nature, but will "toughen them up" periodically. I grow everything Hydroponically, from cuttings to harvest, but didn't do this until I had a thorough understanding of soil.
Auto flowering is a man crossed trait most commonly found in the Ruderalis variety of Cannabis. The plant will flower no matter the photo-period, period; it is a result of time (age) and cannot be manipulated. Most professionals don't like auto flowering strains because one might want to flower sooner/later, depending on needs, etc., and this can be a real pain. Nothing wrong with this, it is a matter of preference.
Those 2 liter soda bottles are good, but I'd "black out" the area to be rooted as light depravity is the most import aspect therein. Darkness for rooting is essential.
Best of luck to you in this endeavor; you're embarking on a great rewarding and addictive "hobby" that should last a lifetime!

Thank You sfttailpaul for this helpful information, I am going to give it a try. I do not pamper my weeds and treat them as suck. lol But because of the high PH in my water I will fill several jugs of water and bring the PH down for cloning. When they get some size on them I will then adjust them up to the PH level that comes from my tap.

Lynne, are you growing in soil or Hydro? pH is one of the most important and sensitive factors you'll ever fight. Soil is more forgiving but Hydro offers superior control. Read the posts here (as well as other sites) about proper pH. A cutting (without any form of roots) is less suspect to pH swing, however once those roots pop, it becomes so very important...

I'm planting in soil, to lazy and too cheap for hydro. The soil where I live reduces the PH and that is a good thing. Last years clones that I bought I used muratic acid to reduce the PH until they were put into the mixture of potting soil and my dirt. I had a fantastic crop.

I live in the desert and power costs a fortune starting around June, I'm retired and on social security so I'm limited on what I can spend. Sooo no elaborate grow room for me.
I will say that I can't wait to get them adjusted to the dark; as it's back breaking work taking them in and out of my tack room to get them hardened up.

Hey all

Here is my experience to date with attempting to clone. I am hoping it will help others...took me 18 bloody month to get here...but was well worth it. I am a strong believer in "Knowledge is Power"...and I likes to share!

I tried the 'domed', rockwool approach...just couldnt get the hang of it...2 trys too.....VERY frustrating. So, my gro-guru "Moses" (who works at a hydro store) showed me something new...the lil 8 station cloning system, complete unit w/o lamp was $50....works like a CHARM!
The "WaterFarms" self contained hydro units were $69 +tax EACH!

Hrer's how the waterfarms look...
08_21_2011a.jpg

06_27_2011WonderWoman.jpg

(these were my first grow w/WonderWoman...they came out AWESOME! No fertilizer..NO bugs...NO mold...medical grade stuff!

....so "Moses" showed, with a lil effort, i could make 'waterfarms' cheaper and more efficient! cost about $35 each!

I had to acquire my grow essensials too...as i am on a 'fixed income' too...
HOWEVER...thru getting deals on equip amd awesome advice from my gro-guru "Moses"...i now have 2 complete grow rooms...
VEG/MOTHER room: large grotent, power vented, 600w HM. I'm doing individual hydrofarms (very easy to deal with, keeps disease from spreading, etc.) This room is good for up to 8 plants nicely, I'm keeping 4 mothers and vegging 6 w/plenty of room to tend garden.
Total cost about $650-700...roughly
FLOWER/BUD room: in a 6' x 7' x 8' closet in basement...1000w HPS, same hydrofarms setups. This accomodate 6-8 plants w/plenty of room to tend garden. Total cost: $450-600...roughly

...and as ALWAYS the only problem cost-wise is power! Nutes are almost ALWAYS available for discount if ya got "the Card"...but cheap anyway

NOTE: hi-end, 8 bulb flouresence' are great for veg/clone and total set up about $250..and power draw is 1/4 of HPS/MH!!! I'm switchin SOON!
BEWARE of LED lighting tho...it's in it's infancy, VERY EXPENSIVE and not as reliable.
All lighting mentioned will have the correct spectrums required, but bulb longevity and cost are what need to be considered.
A NICE knowledgable person at your local grow store will help. USUALLY, if you are a registered patient/caregiver, over 21 w/proper ID, you can talk freely and confindentially....AND get discounts!

CLONING: got a way cool cloning unit (8 clones)...enclosed lil system w/a lil sprayer inside keeping roots moist w/good air circulation. I test drove it w/some small cuttings...nice clean whiteish roots within 7-10 days. virtually maintenance free!

Follow directions posted here on 420mag and you should be fine.

The proceeds i made from 'donations' from my recent harvest was about $3,500....6 oz's medicine, and 27 dozen medible cookies! Not counting my 2 oz personal meds!
My actual out put was about $1875 (including power & nutes)..

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER...once you have recovered your startup costs, you be doing just fine...and it will help cover future nutes/power/possible upgrades!!!

Hey nibec, you catchin this? Thanks for all of your feedback and assistance/advice! Good karma headin your way dude!:thanks::thumb:

punksunn this is very impressive, but I have 3 horses that cost allot to feed. I'm to afraid to get donations as the Feds are cracking down in CA. Too old for the Gray Bar Hotel.:thumb:

hey lynne...
yup, the FEDS/STATE are crackin down in MI too...HOWEVER...patients STILL have the RIGHT to grow their own meds! As i like to keep up and informed w.the MMMR law...well..the law was WRITTEN for PATIENTS...NOT dispensaries!
AND caregivers MUST abide by the LETTER OF THE LAW (i.e., seperate, enclosed LOCKED grows PER PATIENT...
In MI, we are allowed 12 plants...and the Michigan supreme court declared alst year that "patient to patient 'transfer' of medicine, as long as their are abiding w/law, are IMUNE to prosecution"

I see and understand what is happening in CA and Colorado, etc, sadly, too many people are still seeing marijuana as a 'stoner' thing...when news and documentaries keep showing burn-outs and pot heads smoking and acting the fool, well, it gives MEDICINAL MARIJUANA a bad look!

AS for your costs, i understand there too...like i said, i had to start off small with just essencials just to get started. On a limited budget myself, it took me 18 months to get everything going AND correct!
For you to grow enough medicine for yourself, 2-3 hydro units is all you need (soil gardening is rougher as there are more 'tricks' to it) i just found hydroponics is easier and less costly in long run.
you can use regular flourescense (sp) lights...and you can make your own hydro unit on the cheap! check out the internet or this site and you will find cheap ways to make a good grow set up.
Its sad when the GOV, who WERE getting lots of tax dollars from CA dispensaries found it better (huh?) to spend more money to shut em down! what fools these politician be. They would surely change their closed minds if THEY were battling cancer, MS, and other illnesses that marijuana could help.
stay strong, NEVER give up and keep going...post here if i can help
:peace:

punksunn, yes it is ludicrous that the feds are biting the hands that feed them. Fools they are! Most of the Southern Calif news stations that I watch are not showing anything negative. This week they were covering a story about the dispensaries going union. They were showing the workers and customers that looked to be middle class America. The workers were very professional looking. Our state is more liberal than many others. I sure hope Montell Williams keeps up his fight promoting MMJ.

I was one of those people that didn't believe in the benefits of MMJ. I had smoked it 40 years ago and it didn't do anything for pain. I had gone in for back surgery 3 years ago and they OD me on the anesthesia and didn't do the surgery. So last year out of desperation I tried smoking pot. What was funny was that it didn't look like the weed I had smoked years ago. Back then as most of us oldies know it was the leafs that were smoked. I didn't have a pipe or papers and remembered how to make one from a toilet paper roll. I filled it up with my weed and smoked , it kicked my butt and I could barely walk. In 3 days my excruciating back pain was nearly gone. Now 1 year later I live mostly pain free. My recommendation allows me to grow 99 plants but I'm only growing 6.

I will see if I can find the info on making an inexpensive grow room as you make it sounds like it would be easier on me. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom