How to get started growing indoors organically - No bottles

Could the LOS gods please comment on this ?

Living_Organic_Soil_217_liters.jpg

Looks good. What will you be using for teas?

Looks good. What will you be using for teas?

I have no clue .. it will be vermicompost based, that I do know. I have not researched teas yet, but it's on the list :) If this checks out, I can get to finding the stuff, and finding ways to grind the raw materials :p

I've also just learned about spikes .. and it seems there is a whole lot more to this then just building a soil .. but so far I enjoy the learning and Sue's grow is a great reminder of why again I am trying to wrap my head around it :)

I had a long post typed out but I was waiting to actually post it, then I lost it. Bummer!

I do this all the time. :rofl: My daughter keeps trying to train me to copy on a regular basis and particularly when I get ready to preview or post, and I usually do. Every once in a while I slip up, and that's usually when it glitches.

You've seen my posts. That's a lot to re type. :laughtwo:

Tomtos, you won't regret that decision to go with LOS. This is the type of reaction CO and I hoped to inspire. It's nice when a plan works. :green_heart:

That journal of CO's is the one that inspired me to go with LOS. The results speak for themselves.

The issue with your topics, CoOrganics, is that before I know it, I have 20 tabs open and forgot where I was :p Loving it tho :)

So true. I have a whole page of folders I'm working my way through and dozens of screen shots I need to transcribe and catalog. Such a student! :laughtwo:

I have no clue .. it will be vermicompost based, that I do know. I have not researched teas yet, but it's on the list :) If this checks out, I can get to finding the stuff, and finding ways to grind the raw materials :p

I've also just learned about spikes .. and it seems there is a whole lot more to this then just building a soil .. but so far I enjoy the learning and Sue's grow is a great reminder of why again I am trying to wrap my head around it :)

Save yourself the trouble of playing around with spikes. Interesting concept, but if you're interested in growing top-quality cannabis with LOS you won't need any spikes. You'll need good pots of a fairly large size to give your extensive roots space to spread out and a decent watering program to keep up with your thirsty plants.

This LOS is all about simplicity. Good soil, great lights, adequate water, regular replenishment through teas, drenches and top dressing. So simple it's almost unbelievable, but we LOS growers keep proving that point.

With a no-till approach it's even easier. It warrants at least a try.

We don't really do spikes, that's more true living organics style, layers and spikes of dry amendments. That is exactly what I used to do before I found this. LOS amendments are pre-composted whenever possible, globally mixed into soil mix, and we mulch our containers, and we use botanical teas, SST's and ACTs in addition to infrequent top dressing. We value quality humus above all, and let the SFW do our day to day gardening. We don't till the soil. And did I mention we mulch our containers?

We don't really do spikes, that's more true living organics style, layers and spikes of dry amendments. That is exactly what I used to do before I found this. LOS amendments are pre-composted whenever possible, globally mixed into soil mix, and we mulch our containers, and we use botanical teas, SST's and ACTs in addition to infrequent top dressing. We value quality humus above all, and let the SFW do our day to day gardening. We don't till the soil. And did I mention we mulch our containers?

....ah, I seem to have stumbled on a pre-LOS grow of yours then :p

What's the thoughts on using a Hydrolyzed Fish Fertilizer with LOS?

Its usually considered one of the few "must have" ingredients. But its actually not mandatory. However you are getting nutrients into the soil is usually fine. One of the great things about LOS is that there isnt one way to do it. I use Fish Hydrolysate and I can tell you it works well. It has lots of good stuff -vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, and growth hormones- in there that they manage to protect through a cold blending process of fish carcasses.

Get the tried and true Neptunes Harvest Fish Fert. Don't get it blended with seaweed (its best to buy kelp meal separately) or what is known as "Fish Emulsion." Fish Emulsion is boiled down and the carcasses used in the process are often stripped of pretty much everything so you getting a dirty fish broth almost...Hydrolysate is where it is at.

The idea is the following, please correct me if I am making an error here:

Get a compost heap/bin going. Throw everything on it that might be helpful .. incl. manure of non-meateating animals. Pee on it once in a while, for N content.
Once this one is about full, get a second heap/bin going, once that is full, the first should be about ready to feed to the wormbin.
Feed compost heap to worm-bin, and resulting product is what we top-dress with, make teas with, and use in soil.

Right ?

Cathing up here PlanetJ but yeah you got it. Listen if you need rock dust hit me off list with addy I'll send you a care package. I've got relatives in St Peterburg, RU so sending stuff to the EU is not all that bad. I can swing it NP. Put your manure in the compost bin. It will HEAT up everything and add a lot of leaves, the worms will eventually find the way into the bin as long at the bottom of the bin is open to the soil which is the way I've always done it. You will have sooo many worms it will be creapy..trust me.

We have a community garden down the street that built their compost heap on a concrete slab, right next to an open edge of the garden space, where it SHOULD have gone. One of the reasons I haven't joined this group yet is I am stupefied that people who garden outdoors and compost can be so clueless! Every time I walk past it I wonder how they expected the worms to get to the compost. Surely they know about worms and compost?

Cathing up here PlanetJ but yeah you got it. Listen if you need rock dust hit me off list with addy I'll send you a care package. I've got relatives in St Peterburg, RU so sending stuff to the EU is not all that bad. I can swing it NP. Put your manure in the compost bin. It will HEAT up everything and add a lot of leaves, the worms will eventually find the way into the bin as long at the bottom of the bin is open to the soil which is the way I've always done it. You will have sooo many worms it will be creapy..trust me.

Good tip!! Thanks .. and if my quest stays this hopeless I will make sure to PM you. So far, all the companies I called have this pit where the dirty water from carving/polishing rocks ends up .. this is no-access, I can not get a few buckets of the stuff. :(

I will be building a simple mill from a drum, and just pound the crap out of what I have laying around ... see where that gets mee .. as soon as I get to this, I will make pictures for everybody’s amuzement ;)

We have a community garden down the street that built their compost heap on a concrete slab, right next to an open edge of the garden space, where it SHOULD have gone. One of the reasons I haven't joined this group yet is I am stupefied that people who garden outdoors and compost can be so clueless! Every time I walk past it I wonder how they expected the worms to get to the compost. Surely they know about worms and compost?

90% of the population is utterly clueless .. the fact that they do not die is because their body is smarter then them. I was clueless about worms and compost .. but I found out on my first google search into compost .. and most people, well .. they dont google .. they think they already know it all, or rather ask someone who acts that part ;)

Back
Top Bottom