How to get started growing indoors organically - No bottles

I like that BB - "I treat my soil better than my plants."

The soil takes care of the plants for us. Worms help a lot. I'm assuming I have some in my pots. I don't care to disturb what's going on yet to satisfy my curiosity about them, but with new homegrown vermicompost topdressing it's kind of assumed.

Looks like the EM inoculant I make.

EXACTLY - that's the good'uns right there. you can get food grade EM-1 for personal use, try it. Very very good for everybody.

You make that??

It's a beautiful thing right there. EM is what is in/on the Kashi I use. The Kashi is the food source for the EM and once I water it the mycelium take over and consume the kashi then move on into the soil and eat up the organic matter that needs to be converted into minerals and food the plant to uptake. Ain't nature grand?

Jismo yer stating to "grow" on me despite our rocky start there. :high-five:

Thank you Jismo and Conradino, your answers are both helpful to me and I finally got my head around it. I only used myco when transplanting into the final larger pot, now I will definitely start with the myco much earlier. Thanks again, love this place :)

Hi i have a question about "Glacial Rock Dusts." I live on a glacial rock mountains and I was wondering what kind of rocks I should look for, and if anyone knows a good way to turn them to dust? I'd like to follow coots recommendation of sourcing as much locally as possible!

We're loaded with quartz, and other glacial rock.

Hi i have a question about "Glacial Rock Dusts." I live on a glacial rock mountains and I was wondering what kind of rocks I should look for, and if anyone knows a good way to turn them to dust? I'd like to follow coots recommendation of sourcing as much locally as possible!

We're loaded with quartz, and other glacial rock.

Basalt is the gold standard of rock dusts. Do you have any basalt available locally? Probably the best way to get dust is to befriend the local guys who work in rock sales. Landscaping, quarries, countertop manufacturers, things like that.

I'm glad to see you're seeking out local sources. Good luck with your search.

Basalt is the gold standard of rock dusts. Do you have any basalt available locally? Probably the best way to get dust is to befriend the local guys who work in rock sales. Landscaping, quarries, countertop manufacturers, things like that.

I'm glad to see you're seeking out local sources. Good luck with your search.

We go to maine a couple times a year, next time i'm going to snatch up a ton of kelp and make my own meal.. can't wait for that one!

We go to maine a couple times a year, next time i'm going to snatch up a ton of kelp and make my own meal.. can't wait for that one!

Rinse, rinse, rinse, and then rinse again. LOL! Lots of salt in what you can forage, but forage away.

Hi guys, i have a question about Botanical and Compost Teas.. I found a aeration pump laying around, have my bucket.. ready to go. Once I make it how long can I keep it stored before use? I don't need very much maybe a gallon at a time tops! My LOS pots will be 10 Gallons each and I will have two. My current is just a single 3 gallon.

Also would it be a good idea to soak new seeds in aloe water instead of just RO water before germinating them?

Thanks!

You shouldn't store it for more than 24 hours. One gallon may be enough to be split over each pot. I would just use it all and brew it for each application.

I haven't read much on sprouting with aloe. I'm not sure I aloe has the same washing effect that water does RE the growth enhibiting enzymes found on a seeds surface. I would probably germinate normally, then water with aloe after it sprouts.

Hi guys, i have a question about Botanical and Compost Teas.. I found a aeration pump laying around, have my bucket.. ready to go. Once I make it how long can I keep it stored before use? I don't need very much maybe a gallon at a time tops! My LOS pots will be 10 Gallons each and I will have two. My current is just a single 3 gallon.

Also would it be a good idea to soak new seeds in aloe water instead of just RO water before germinating them?

Thanks!

As CC pointed out, the ACTs don't keep. You can bubble a smaller volume. I always do about 1 to 1 1/2 quarts and then dilute with water to make it a half gallon, which I split between two 7 gallon pots.

If you make too much for your cannabis the remainder could be added to any house plants or your outdoor garden.

I would recommend a dilution of reconstituted kelp meal for soaking the seeds. I've also soaked in coconut water. If you're popping old seeds a small splash of added Fulvic acid can work wonders.

thanks guys :) still waiting on my buildasoil box.. :( amazon prime 2 day shipping has really spoiled the shit out of me when it comes to getting stuff mailed to the middle of no where. Took them awhile to process the package too, but I imagine good things come to those who wait. I ordered enough goodies to last me a lifetime. Picked up the 6.5 CUFT coot box and some pumice as it was impossible to find, and the best garden store in town looked at me crazy and said, "We haven't carried that for years, why not perlite?" I explained to them that perlite turns to concrete in my raised garden beds ;). Anxious to get my soil cooking as my current grow probably has a few weeks left. She's been showing preflowers for a couple weeks now, and am on day 41 from seed/Week 5 of veg.. Probably have another few weeks and really need to get this stuff cooking. I've got some time though as I'm gonna grow my next batch out and create Bonzai Moms before hand(Blueberry(Crop Kings), Jack Herer(Black Skull), Cookies Kush(Barnies), Pineapple Chunk(Barnies), White Widow(Dinafem).

Was thinking of putting my moms in 1 Gallon fabrics w/ living soil.. Thoughts?

That was my complete intention :)

I got half my order from buildasoil today.. i placed another order 2 days later.. still sitting as unfulfilled after 5 days.. thats a bit on the long side for me to stick a bag of pumice in a shipping box and get it out.. probably won't be ordering from them again.

I've had that happen to me twice with them. Both times I emailed Jeremy and got great satisfaction in the end. The quality and variety of their product line keeps me going back. I understand the frustration though. I think he's got serious growth going on and every now and then it catches up with them. Contact him. He'll make good.

what an awesome thread, sue.

Thanks Boogyman, but this was COorganics baby. When he left the site it fell on the rest of us to maintain it. We're glad you find the info useful.

I've had that happen to me twice with them. Both times I emailed Jeremy and got great satisfaction in the end. The quality and variety of their product line keeps me going back. I understand the frustration though. I think he's got serious growth going on and every now and then it catches up with them. Contact him. He'll make good.

Went to login just now and mesage them per your suggestion and it switched to fullfilled and i have some tracking info.. still ordered on the 30th of may, didn't ship till 4th of june so quite a long processing time. I bought enough this time i shouldn't have to go back for awhile.

I found another place to get coconut water powder from.. much cheaper for the same amount..

Can I go ahead and mix my soil and add the pumice when it gets here? really want to get it cookin!

Yes you can - and you can use the "recipe" loosely meaning substitute similar products that you can source locally. That makes LOS even better, you source your materials locally and sustainably to really keep it green. We live on the east coast and we can get everything locally here. To source everything locally and inexpensively you should locate your local feed store - most everything you need will be there maybe even EWC and or compost. This process is very forgiving, living soil already knows what to do, all you have to do is get all the parts together and go. You don't really have to let the soil "cook" per se unless you are adding in guano and/or alfalfa meal. Those 2 products are not necessary any way but some folks use them. I use alfalfa meal just cause I have it on hand. It will decompose and heat up same as guano so you would need to let it sit with water covered for a few weeks but I've transplanted clones a few weeks old right into that and the ladies were fine even with a fair amount of alfalfa meal but seedlings can get beat up. Also with alfalfa it attracts critters as well, as do seedlings so if you have mice they will be very thankful for a nice $10 seedling, here today gone tomorrow. Don't ask, grrrrr.

What you should do if you let it sit or are going to plant right into the soil, take some EWC and/or some soil from the woods near you, a handful of each is enough and bubble that for 24-36 hrs (ACT) and inoculate the soil and get the micro-oranisms a jump start with the ACT.

That's the single best thing you can do to get your soil ready for plants. Reason I say grab a handful of soil from your local forest/woods is for the fungus in the soil. Forest floor is rich in fungi and EWC will have all the beneficial bacteria in spades so you get the best of both worlds. Then follow that up with your coconut water and/or SST (sprouted seed teas) and you'll be amazed with the result. It will only get better the longer you use that same soil too! The SST feeds the fungi/bacteria and they go into overdrive, your plants roots respond to that and your plant now will also be in overdrive! You won't believe your eyes - overnight I've had plants double is height and girth.

I wouldn't sweat the delay too much - remember they are on the west coast and my experience is there's never a reason to "hurry" like we do here on the right coast. That and this time of year EVERYONE that gardens has been busy outdoors in the garden, this IS the busy time.

I had the same sort of issue with Horizon Herbs in Oregon (Comfrey roots) - a little delay pretty much every time I order but they get me my stuff. Plan ahead a little and expect the west coast vendors to be not in a hurry ... its definitely a west coast thing. 10 days to my door is about what I expect, 5 days ship time and 5 days to dust off dirt and do internet sales.

We're growing plants, no rush no rush (unless you're growing outdoors!!). My local teens are full bore into gorilla growing where we go hiking! It's hilarious. Wow do they have a lot of energy. They think they are stealthy too!!

Good luck with your soil and your ladies! Remember this is gardening and its FUN!! :cheer:

Went to login just now and mesage them per your suggestion and it switched to fullfilled and i have some tracking info.. still ordered on the 30th of may, didn't ship till 4th of june so quite a long processing time. I bought enough this time i shouldn't have to go back for awhile.

I found another place to get coconut water powder from.. much cheaper for the same amount..

Can I go ahead and mix my soil and add the pumice when it gets here? really want to get it cookin!

Back
Top Bottom