How to grow in Coco: Feed schedule

Hi I’m just switching to use coco on my 2nd transplant clones. I’m using AN iguana juice/ancient earth/sensisym/ Cannazym/great white/calmagxtra. I always ph adjust my water to 6.0 and everything has been going fine in pro mix BX. Can I continue to do the same nutrient solution or do you think I will run into problems? Right now my ppms are from 640-690 on their 9th day since rooted and plants are looking

EFAAB93E-E245-47E9-9556-CE86F0D1F4FC.jpeg
Hey @420ragz, cult isn't around much these days, so I thought I would chime in, if i have it wrong I'm sure he will correct me when he's back :).

Based on what you are feeding currently it all looks like it can be used in Coco :thumb:

I was concerned about the Ancient Earth but having checked it seems that's ok for Coco too.

As for your PH, it will vary depending on the stage of growth, but between 5.8-6.1 is what i usually aim for in Coco. Favouring the higher end toward the end of Flower.

:peace:

hey some good info for sure is there a topic that goes more in detail about understanding ec/ppm. my tap water has measured 70pmm and currently use that. on avg my ppm after mixing my micro, grow, bloom around 850-900.
have not ran any cal mag. have had to treat plants once with Epson slat water/spray when they were roughly 3 wks old.
currently this is my first grow. will do a intro soon with some pics of my setup and plants.

Hey everyone.

Ive been growing for a long time now and mostly coco. Ive grown literally thousands and thousands of plants so here i will dedicaye a thread to growing in coco.

Please ask questions, i will always answer. No question is stupid, if you dont know then you dont know.

I will start by adding this feeding schedule. There are variations and more ways to do it but this will 100% give quality results.

Here is the Coco schedule. Remember its a guide, no substitute for knowing plants needs.

Ive had a lot of questions on nutrients recently so im going to list a full nute schedule that i use for Coco and Hydro growing. Im not going to list a soil feed schedule because there are variables that could affect what nutrients are used. Also 99% of my growing is hydroponic and I include coco in that so I will advise on what I do to get top results.

Before I make the list be aware that nutrients are way less important than light source and environment. I know alot of people grow on a tight budget but dont skip on a good light source. The video I posted yesterday explains about minimum requirements for growing and why. You want minimum 400w actual draw for a 4x4 square foot area (1x1m), yes you can grow with less but i'm not interested in growing weed with a torch or a 200w draw LED that claims to be a 600w equivalent. If you are growing even one plant make it the best it can be, its a long process to grow. Dont settle for an oz or 2 every 3 months as its wasted time and money when you can x6 that minimum just by using the correct source. A 400w hps would be the minimum requirement for me and my feed schedule represents a grow using adequate light. It stands to reason that a plant with less light will need less nutrient, just like a standard car will need less fuel than a Bugatti Veron.

So with all that said here are the schedules. You can omit anything you like additive wise but base nutrient is the most important. These are recipes that work for me and will vary depending on the quality of the water but anyone using water that is no higher than 0.7ec (350ppm) or using RO water should work. Of course try to never use tap water higher than 0.4ec (200ppm) if it can be helped.

The schedules will be based on 9 week strains, if running 8 week strains just finish nutes a week earlier. I never grow strains longer than 9 weeks now but a 10 week strain you would add 1 more week of the final boost. Strains over that will be different mix and I wont touch on that today.

I have got to these recipes over 15 years or so growing. Im not saying this is the only way but you will not fail if you follow these recipes and have adequate light source and environment.

My schedules will go off using RO water so a starting water of 0 EC (0 PPM) This will make it easier, you can omit calmag if water is of good quality and 0.3ec+ usually but its worth having incase it needs to be dded. If using water of 0.3 ec (150ppm) for example you would add that value to the value of feed i suggest. So if I suggest 1.0 ec of nutes you would add 0.3ec on to that making 1.3ec. Also the values will add up so for example if its 0.3 calmag and i add base nutrient then add it on to the 0.3ec. so if i say base up to 1.0ec that includes the 0.3 of calmag, in other words 0.7ec of base nutrient.

Finally a good EC/PPM meter is really important as is a good PH Pen, they will help you know exactly what is going into the nutrient mix and will be a valuable tool for diagnosing any possible problems. Never go off what the bottle recommends especially for anything that effects EC/PPMs.

RECIPE FOR COCO COIR.....

SEEDLINGS....

Jiffy pellets/root riot cubes/rockwool

Calmag (optional, use if water is RO) 0.1ec (50ppm)
SuperVit 1 drop/4litres water
H+G Roots Excellurator Gold 0.3ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/4 litres
PH 5.5-5.8

Soak the cubes or pellets in the solution and wring out so damp and not wet, add the seedling. this mix will get the rooting started quickly and produce strong hairy roots. I transplant into a 1-3 litre pot as soon as the tap root comes out the bottom of the cube.

FIRST TRANSPLANT

Great White mycorrhizae sprinkled in the hole where cube will be placed or onto the cube itself.
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.0ec (500ppm) This is approximately 2ml/litre.
Roots Excellurator 0.3ml/litre
SuperVit 1drop/4liitres
Advanced Nutrients VooDoo Juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

PH 5.8

SECOND TRANSPLANT.....

Great White Mycorrhizae sprinkled in hole for transplant or direct onto rootzone
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrient PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.2-1.4ec (600-700ppm)
SuperVit 1drop/4litres
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

FLOWER PERIOD (START OF 12/12)

WEEK 1

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.4ec (700ppm)
Buddhas Tree Flower Burst 0.25ml/litre
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1scoop/10 litres
Advanced Nutrients sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 2

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 3

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.5-1.6ec (750-800ppm)
Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 4 and WEEK 5

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.6ec (800ppm)
Buddhas Tree PK 0.25ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 6

CalMag 0.3ml/litre (150ppm)
Buddhas Tree Pk 0.5ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1-2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/10litres

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 7

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 1.8ec (900ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 8

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.8ec (900ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 2.0ec (1000ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 9

First water to 50% run off.
Allow to dry until pots light to lift.
Water only daily. Enough so that its ready for more 24 hours later. DO NOT KEEP DRENCHED. Biggest chance of bud rot is now.
Flushing will clean excess salts and increase both yield and quality as it forces plants to finish.
Only water until harvest, minimum 7 days water.

Hydro is exactly the same as above with 3 changes.

1st replace Ionic Coco Bloom with Ionic Hydro Bloom

2nd Base nutrient EC/PPM at each feed can be pushed an extra 0.2ec/100ppm if required

3rd PH should be between 5.5-6.0 throughout.

In Recirculating Hydro PH swings are normal, allow some fluctuation as its better for plants to have a good range to uptake nutes. Set it at the lower end and allow it to increase. If it goes over 6.0 readjust to 5.8.

The recipe above is just one recipe that works well. Once you understand the plants needs at each period of growth you can adjust the feeds as going week by week isnt the most accurate way to do it but 100% this baseline recipe will give great results.

Finally in Coco and Hydro plants must be fed daily at least once per day. Do not keep media saturated ever. For Coco give enough liquid so plants are ready to be fed again 24 hours later when hand feeding. So plants should be light to lift but not completely dried out to the point of leaves wilting. Never allow it to dry out completely as the salts in the Media will burn the roots.

I hope this helps and if anyone wants alternatives to any products just ask.

Peace.
This is unrelated to feed schedule . I have a serious problem with fungus and fungus gnats in my area and come to realize the only way to avoid them is to be proactive. I was hoping the fungus wouldn't grow in coco but it has already shown up .. what I have done is put cinnamon top dressing on top of the coco trying to prevent the fungus from growing in plants that as of now I don't believe have an issue yet. I was hoping you have some advice?

Hey everyone.

Ive been growing for a long time now and mostly coco. Ive grown literally thousands and thousands of plants so here i will dedicaye a thread to growing in coco.

Please ask questions, i will always answer. No question is stupid, if you dont know then you dont know.

I will start by adding this feeding schedule. There are variations and more ways to do it but this will 100% give quality results.

Here is the Coco schedule. Remember its a guide, no substitute for knowing plants needs.

Ive had a lot of questions on nutrients recently so im going to list a full nute schedule that i use for Coco and Hydro growing. Im not going to list a soil feed schedule because there are variables that could affect what nutrients are used. Also 99% of my growing is hydroponic and I include coco in that so I will advise on what I do to get top results.

Before I make the list be aware that nutrients are way less important than light source and environment. I know alot of people grow on a tight budget but dont skip on a good light source. The video I posted yesterday explains about minimum requirements for growing and why. You want minimum 400w actual draw for a 4x4 square foot area (1x1m), yes you can grow with less but i'm not interested in growing weed with a torch or a 200w draw LED that claims to be a 600w equivalent. If you are growing even one plant make it the best it can be, its a long process to grow. Dont settle for an oz or 2 every 3 months as its wasted time and money when you can x6 that minimum just by using the correct source. A 400w hps would be the minimum requirement for me and my feed schedule represents a grow using adequate light. It stands to reason that a plant with less light will need less nutrient, just like a standard car will need less fuel than a Bugatti Veron.

So with all that said here are the schedules. You can omit anything you like additive wise but base nutrient is the most important. These are recipes that work for me and will vary depending on the quality of the water but anyone using water that is no higher than 0.7ec (350ppm) or using RO water should work. Of course try to never use tap water higher than 0.4ec (200ppm) if it can be helped.

The schedules will be based on 9 week strains, if running 8 week strains just finish nutes a week earlier. I never grow strains longer than 9 weeks now but a 10 week strain you would add 1 more week of the final boost. Strains over that will be different mix and I wont touch on that today.

I have got to these recipes over 15 years or so growing. Im not saying this is the only way but you will not fail if you follow these recipes and have adequate light source and environment.

My schedules will go off using RO water so a starting water of 0 EC (0 PPM) This will make it easier, you can omit calmag if water is of good quality and 0.3ec+ usually but its worth having incase it needs to be dded. If using water of 0.3 ec (150ppm) for example you would add that value to the value of feed i suggest. So if I suggest 1.0 ec of nutes you would add 0.3ec on to that making 1.3ec. Also the values will add up so for example if its 0.3 calmag and i add base nutrient then add it on to the 0.3ec. so if i say base up to 1.0ec that includes the 0.3 of calmag, in other words 0.7ec of base nutrient.

Finally a good EC/PPM meter is really important as is a good PH Pen, they will help you know exactly what is going into the nutrient mix and will be a valuable tool for diagnosing any possible problems. Never go off what the bottle recommends especially for anything that effects EC/PPMs.

SEEDLINGS....

PH 5.5-5.8

Soak the cubes or pellets in the solution and wring out so damp and not wet, add the seedling. this mix will get the rooting started quickly and produce strong hairy roots. I transplant into a 1-3 litre pot as soon as the tap root comes out the bottom of the cube.

FIRST TRANSPLANT

Great White mycorrhizae sprinkled in the hole where cube will be placed or onto the cube itself.
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.0ec (500ppm) This is approximately 2ml/litre.
SuperVit 1drop/4liitres

PH 5.8

SECOND TRANSPLANT.....

Great White Mycorrhizae sprinkled in hole for transplant or direct onto rootzone
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
SuperVit 1drop/4litres

WEEK 1

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 2

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 3

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 4 and WEEK 5

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 6

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 7

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 1.8ec (900ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 8

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 2.0ec (1000ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 9

Water only daily. Enough so that its ready for more 24 hours later. DO NOT KEEP DRENCHED. Biggest chance of bud rot is now.
Flushing will clean excess salts and increase both yield and quality as it forces plants to finish.

2nd Base nutrient EC/PPM at each feed can be pushed an extra 0.2ec/100ppm if required

In Recirculating Hydro PH swings are normal, allow some fluctuation as its better for plants to have a good range to uptake nutes. Set it at the lower end and allow it to increase. If it goes over 6.0 readjust to 5.8.

The recipe above is just one recipe that works well. Once you understand the plants needs at each period of growth you can adjust the feeds as going week by week isnt the most accurate way to do it but 100% this baseline recipe will give great results.

Finally in Coco and Hydro plants must be fed daily at least once per day. Do not keep media saturated ever. For Coco give enough liquid so plants are ready to be fed again 24 hours later when hand feeding. So plants should be light to lift but not completely dried out to the point of leaves wilting. Never allow it to dry out completely as the salts in the Media will burn the roots.

Peace.
What coco coir should i use ? form Biobizz Light or Plus, or Canna Coco Plus , to follow correctly your feeding schedule ? thanks in advance !

Hi everyone, this is a long thread with some excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to help us noobs.
I don't really have any questions, I just thought I'd share.
This is the first time I've used coco perlite 70/30, pre-buffered. (Which is a fancy way to say it's been flushed and had calcium added to it, since coco eats calcium)
My tap water has a pH of 5.1 and EC is 0.6, and these values fluctuate regularly.
Because of this I'm using filtered water (pH 6, EC 0) to avoid any issues.
I am hand feeding once per day.
I add calmag (4 ml per gallon)(1 ml per ltr) and nutrients every feed.
I water (feed) almost every day, (I didn't feed every day during infancy as they weren't drinking a lot) but I feed every day now as I just flipped to 12/12, and will probably be more frequently through flowering.
I feed to a minimal runoff every time, once I see them dripping, that's it.
I settled on using EC as my measurements since ppm tends to confuse me because of the different multiplication scales.
I started with around 0.5 EC at the beginning and I'm up around 1.6 now.
I have too many plants for my tiny little light but they seem to be doing ok.
If I get a few oz's I'll be happy. If I get more I'll be ecstatic.

20210914_120856.jpg

20210914_120727.jpg

20210914_120856.jpg

20210914_152939.jpg

20210914_153005.jpg

20210914_153027.jpg

20210914_120856.jpg

20210914_120740.jpg

20210914_120727.jpg

What coco coir should i use ? form Biobizz Light or Plus, or Canna Coco Plus , to follow correctly your feeding schedule ? thanks in advance !
I can't find the ionic coco bloom anywhere in America and Europe will not ship it here. Any ideas? Is there a substitute for us yanks? I was really looking forward to following your instructions.

I can't find the ionic coco bloom anywhere in America and Europe will not ship it here. Any ideas? Is there a substitute for us yanks? I was really looking forward to following your instructions.
Hey mate. This thread is a great resource. I don’t think OP is on this site much these days. I couldn’t source the nutes in his schedule here in Australia either. I’ve been happy with the results I’ve been getting by using what’s available here and targeting the ECs he has set out

Hey mate. This thread is a great resource. I don’t think OP is on this site much these days. I couldn’t source the nutes in his schedule here in Australia either. I’ve been happy with the results I’ve been getting by using what’s available here and targeting the ECs he has set out
So you think if I did the cal mag, shark bite, sensizyne etc. and used sensibloom in place of the ion stuff, and used his ec's range that it would be a good schedule to grow by? (pun intended, lol)

Hi everyone, this is a long thread with some excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to help us noobs.
This is the first time I've used coco perlite 70/30, pre-buffered. (Which is a fancy way to say it's been flushed and had calcium added to it, since coco eats calcium)
My tap water has a pH of 5.1 and EC is 0.6, and these values fluctuate regularly.
I water (feed) almost every day, (I didn't feed every day during infancy as they weren't drinking a lot) but I feed every day now as I just flipped to 12/12, and will probably be more frequently through flowering.
I settled on using EC as my measurements since ppm tends to confuse me because of the different multiplication scales.

20210914_120856.jpg

20210914_120727.jpg

20210914_120856.jpg

20210914_152939.jpg

20210914_153005.jpg

20210914_153027.jpg

20210914_120856.jpg

20210914_120740.jpg

20210914_120727.jpg
Plants are looking good! What are you giving them besides the cal mag? I just started a 70/30 mix and was looking for ideas on nutrients.

Plants are looking good! What are you giving them besides the cal mag? I just started a 70/30 mix and was looking for ideas on nutrients.
I'm feeding them with nutrifield coco a&b, and numerous additives, flavor savior, bud burst, crystalic, fulvic acid, guano etc. I'm pretty much just following the instructions on the bottles. This is the first time I've used it. You can see my nutrients mix in my journal, I don’t know how to make the words green to take you there lol, but it's 'experimental grow to see the difference between coco and soil'

OK, I will look for your grow journal. I am going to start one for my new coco grow. Check it out if you want. Thanks for the reply.

Been growing in coco and watering more like soil. In that I would water till run off then wait for the pots to get light. Admittedly I would water them when carrying a little more weight than a soil pot. The number of days it took to need the next watering would decrease. In the end I am watering daily and yeah it is fine. But I have always noticed watering to run off the first time would slow growth down and so would watering till run off when potting up.

A friend never waters to run off and instead increases the amount of water he gives over time. He is always seeing faster growth than me. I also once remember growing similar to this topic. I had a freebie and I remember I would water it daily but not till run off. Only a light feed wish I could remember how much. Anyway it had the best roots I have ever seen. I would literally finish work and just use a syringe to go around the pot. The whole pot was wrapped in lovely thick white roots. So I am keen to try this method again.

Can anyone give a guide of how much water to start with when it comes to giving enough so the pot requires a feed the next day? Think I saw the number 50ml floating about? I know the time it takes to dry will depend on the environment but a rough guide would be nice. Will be starting in small round pots.

Also how light do we want the pots to be exactly? I know the guide says so the pots easy to lift but the first pots are easy to lift anyway lol. Can’t over water coco so not worried about that but just an idea of how light the pot should be getting to know if I am giving the right amount of water to see the pot get ready for a feed in 24 hours.

thanks and has anyone done a diary using this method to see the guide in action?

So you think if I did the cal mag, shark bite, sensizyne etc. and used sensibloom in place of the ion stuff, and used his ec's range that it would be a good schedule to grow by? (pun intended, lol)

Hey mate. I’m far from an expert but I’ve been happy with the results I’ve gotten following the ECs. Good place to start anyway. Good luck with your grow

Thanks for the reply. In terms of EC I am confident as anything. I have grown in coco before but like I say I feel I was treating it more like soil. Water till run off then wait for pot to get light, the days it takes decreases till watering daily.

I am more curious as to how much water to give the first small round pots in order for them to be light enough for a watering the next day. I know every grow room is gonna be different and affect how much water but just a good starting point would be nice. Also would like to be bit more clear on what’s exactly light enough for the next water. I know it says when the pots light enough to lift but trouble with that is the first pots are light enough for that even fully saturated lol . I get not allowing coco to completely dry of course.

hope I am making sense lol can’t wait to give this method a try. The roots look lovely and yeah I done similar just the once. Think I had a freebie and was just messing around ready to bin it. Came home from work and was watering it daily, certainly not a huge amount and not getting run off. these without a doubt was the best roots I’ve ever had.

Anyone who’s followed this guide from seed able to help me? I am popping seeds into jiffy’s tomorrow so should be ready to go into first pots in a short period of time.
I have literally read every page on this thread lol I am not even joking. I have zero issues or concerns with things such as EC.

I have seen it said no more than 50ml at first and I get that’s a rough guide. I want to be aiming to give enough so that the pots nearly dry after a day. I wasn’t joking when I said I have read every page, I have seen cult say you want the pot to be about 85% light.

I get the coco out the bag and it has some moisture, but very little. Now say I give 50ml and the next day it’s light enough for a watering. I give 50ml but I already know what amount won’t be reaching the bottom of the pot. So will it now hold back the growth of the roots? As I know your not supposed to let coco dry out. Or will it be a case that if 50ml saturates just the top half of the pot and it’s drying after 24hours. Over the next couple days add more water and more area gets saturated And the roots grow further as time goes on?

Surely if you continue to just feed 50ml multiple times its only gonna be saturating the same area that covers rather than the whole pot? Yet I know watering till whole pot feels fully saturated even with out run off. Then it will take longer than 24hours to dry.

Hey everyone.

SEEDLINGS....

PH 5.5-5.8

FIRST TRANSPLANT

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
SuperVit 1drop/4liitres

PH 5.8

SECOND TRANSPLANT.....

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
SuperVit 1drop/4litres

WEEK 1

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 2

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 3

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 4 and WEEK 5

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 6

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 7

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 8

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 9

Peace.
Can anybody tell me how much one scoop of Great Whigte is? I didn't get a scopop in my tiny jar.

20210914_120856.jpg

20210914_120727.jpg

20210914_120856.jpg

20210914_152939.jpg

20210914_153005.jpg

20210914_153027.jpg

20210914_120856.jpg

20210914_120740.jpg

20210914_120727.jpg
i like it ,nice plant ,good led grow light

It's been a while, the end is in sight.
I'm now feeding 3 times a day,
EC 2.0
pH between 5.7 and 6.2
The tent is super crowded, I didn't prune a lot, and there's too many plants for the light, but I'm still learning what I can get from 100w. So far I'm pleased with it, but I'm sure it could be better.
I'm definitely going to get a few nice buds at least.
Here's some pics of what they look like now.
PS, the smell is wonderful too.

IMG20211104164022.jpg

IMG20211104164010.jpg

IMG20211104163953.jpg

IMG20211104163931.jpg

IMG20211104163850.jpg

IMG20211104163839.jpg

IMG20211104163741.jpg

IMG20211104163646.jpg

Back
Top Bottom