How to grow in Coco: Feed schedule

Hi @Cultivator. I know you're not on here much these days but if you do see this I'd really appreciate your advice.

I'm trying to move to the nutes you have recommended in your schedule but some of them aren't available where
I live. I'm specifically looking at bloom base nutes at the moment. I can get GT Coco Bloom A+B or Ionic Bloom but not Ionic Coco Bloom. Which one would you go for? Or something different altogether? Thanks heaps :Namaste:

Hi @Cultivator. I know you're not on here much these days but if you do see this I'd really appreciate your advice.

I'm trying to move to the nutes you have recommended in your schedule but some of them aren't available where
I live. I'm specifically looking at bloom base nutes at the moment. I can get GT Coco Bloom A+B or Ionic Bloom but not Ionic Coco Bloom. Which one would you go for? Or something different altogether? Thanks heaps :Namaste:
If your looking to grow in coco I would get coco specific nutes, you could use other nutrients but coco will specifically be for our chosen medium and will probably work a little better

If your looking to grow in coco I would get coco specific nutes, you could use other nutrients but coco will specifically be for our chosen medium and will probably work a little better
Thanks mate. All the coco nutes available here are 2 part (A+B) and I know Ionic Coco is a one part product. Was just interested in knowing what Cult would use

I dont have any run off at all. I have my ec spot on and never have any probs. Small amounts often. Then when i flush i start 10 days before harvest. 1 flush with 20% run off of plain water not ph adjusted then i just water daily as per regular feeds.

Sent from my SM-G925F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi Cult,

I hope you're well. I'm sure you don't remember me, but 5-6 years ago you helped me a lot with my setup. From setting up my ventilation system, to sorting out my RDWC system to upgrade to 32mm connectors. Not to mention the hours i've spent going through your journals with a comb. I grow in Coco and RDWC only.

I'm getting some mental nute burn at the moment in flower. I feed twice per day, once in the morning, once late afternoon, of around 2L each time (16 Fabric pots).
I would love to not have to worry about handling collection and disposal of run off, but my plants are experiencing some wicked nute burn, which was made worse by a recent heat wave it seems, so im feeding to run off at the moment to try and combat it after a couple of days of flush).

My feeding regime is similar to yours (as i learn most of what i know about growing in coco from you)

Rain water - EC 0
- Buddhas Tree Silica
- Canna CalMag Agent -> EC 0.6
- Buddhas Tree Coco A + B -> EC 1.4 (for veg and flower)
- Buddhas Tree Metaboost (End of Veg and Week 3-8 of flower)
- Diamond Nectar (Veg and first 2 of stretch)
- Cannazyme (every.single.feed)

- Flower Burst (few days before flip and week 1-3 of flower)
- PK 9-18 - Week 4 and 5 -> EC usually goes up to around 1.8
- Atami Bloombastic - Week 6 and 7 -> EC usually goes up to around 1.8

- Great White
- Root Excelerator Gold
- Voodoo Juice (First 2 of veg and flower) - I tried without this but i get bigger stalks when i use it

Flush Week 8

My questions

1. Would a dripper system help with these problems by keeping the medium slightly saturated, constantly, instead of giving 2 big feeds per day? Could this be a factor in my nute burn problems?

2. I'm using Buddhas Tree Coco A + B because i like the Buddhas tree range and as im using a lot of their products it made sense to use their base too. Would you recommend using Ionic Coco Bloom instead, is there a reason you use this?

I hope you're well, and glad to see you're still active and helping the community.

GG

Some more info of my grow. Coco is a 60/40 Perlite mix. I'm growing under good quality LEDs.

I just went through this entire thread and answered some of my own questions. My takeaway:

1. Would a dripper system help with these problems by keeping the medium slightly saturated, constantly, instead of giving 2 big feeds per day? Could this be a factor in my nute burn problems?

Potentially yes. Perhaps my nute burn is from the coco drying out sometimes causing build up nutes. If i implement a dripper system i can ensure the coco is regularly damp.

2. I'm using Buddhas Tree Coco A + B because i like the Buddhas tree range and as im using a lot of their products it made sense to use their base too. Would you recommend using Ionic Coco Bloom instead, is there a reason you use this?

I think i'll be switching to what you recommend. Using the AN PH Perfect 3 Part and Ionic Bloom. I used to use Canna Coco and switch to Buddhas Tree Coco because it was giving me issues, and because i use the other BT nutrients. I'm a big fan of the Buddhas Tree stuff.

My understanding around was the run off was a little off too. I am multi feeding as I'm using a Perlite mix, so i perhaps should have been allowing a little run off. I'll be going 100% coco going forward and setting up drippers.

I'm also using the Canna Professional Plus Coco. So i'll be swapping that out for either the Plagron or the Biobizz Coco.

Thanks for all of the valuable information in this and your other threads. Appreciate the time you put in to answering all these questions. And very often repeating yourself

One thing it would be good to get clarity on is your preference of final bloom boosters @Cultivator. If you could chose either one for the last couple of weeks (Week 7 & 8) before flush, would you favour:

- Atamo Bloombastic
- PK 9-18 + Metaboost (I use this Week 4-6)
- Plagron Green Sensation

And would you preference be the same for DWC and Coco?

It was someone else that told me abot diluting PH chemicals for minor adjustments...

So you use coco choir medium while I use strictly Grodan Rockwool cubes and plugs into a 6in netpot hanging over fizzy water and nowadays, I too start the seeds in the cubes they will live in.

I am considering a cocoa choir but I still haven't mastered this BubblePonics system I'm getting better but want to experiment more with my DWC system.

Hey everyone.

Ive been growing for a long time now and mostly coco. Ive grown literally thousands and thousands of plants so here i will dedicaye a thread to growing in coco.

Please ask questions, i will always answer. No question is stupid, if you dont know then you dont know.

I will start by adding this feeding schedule. There are variations and more ways to do it but this will 100% give quality results.

Here is the Coco schedule. Remember its a guide, no substitute for knowing plants needs.

Ive had a lot of questions on nutrients recently so im going to list a full nute schedule that i use for Coco and Hydro growing. Im not going to list a soil feed schedule because there are variables that could affect what nutrients are used. Also 99% of my growing is hydroponic and I include coco in that so I will advise on what I do to get top results.

Before I make the list be aware that nutrients are way less important than light source and environment. I know alot of people grow on a tight budget but dont skip on a good light source. The video I posted yesterday explains about minimum requirements for growing and why. You want minimum 400w actual draw for a 4x4 square foot area (1x1m), yes you can grow with less but i'm not interested in growing weed with a torch or a 200w draw LED that claims to be a 600w equivalent. If you are growing even one plant make it the best it can be, its a long process to grow. Dont settle for an oz or 2 every 3 months as its wasted time and money when you can x6 that minimum just by using the correct source. A 400w hps would be the minimum requirement for me and my feed schedule represents a grow using adequate light. It stands to reason that a plant with less light will need less nutrient, just like a standard car will need less fuel than a Bugatti Veron.

So with all that said here are the schedules. You can omit anything you like additive wise but base nutrient is the most important. These are recipes that work for me and will vary depending on the quality of the water but anyone using water that is no higher than 0.7ec (350ppm) or using RO water should work. Of course try to never use tap water higher than 0.4ec (200ppm) if it can be helped.

The schedules will be based on 9 week strains, if running 8 week strains just finish nutes a week earlier. I never grow strains longer than 9 weeks now but a 10 week strain you would add 1 more week of the final boost. Strains over that will be different mix and I wont touch on that today.

I have got to these recipes over 15 years or so growing. Im not saying this is the only way but you will not fail if you follow these recipes and have adequate light source and environment.

My schedules will go off using RO water so a starting water of 0 EC (0 PPM) This will make it easier, you can omit calmag if water is of good quality and 0.3ec+ usually but its worth having incase it needs to be dded. If using water of 0.3 ec (150ppm) for example you would add that value to the value of feed i suggest. So if I suggest 1.0 ec of nutes you would add 0.3ec on to that making 1.3ec. Also the values will add up so for example if its 0.3 calmag and i add base nutrient then add it on to the 0.3ec. so if i say base up to 1.0ec that includes the 0.3 of calmag, in other words 0.7ec of base nutrient.

Finally a good EC/PPM meter is really important as is a good PH Pen, they will help you know exactly what is going into the nutrient mix and will be a valuable tool for diagnosing any possible problems. Never go off what the bottle recommends especially for anything that effects EC/PPMs.

RECIPE FOR COCO COIR.....

SEEDLINGS....

Jiffy pellets/root riot cubes/rockwool

Calmag (optional, use if water is RO) 0.1ec (50ppm)
SuperVit 1 drop/4litres water
H+G Roots Excellurator Gold 0.3ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/4 litres
PH 5.5-5.8

Soak the cubes or pellets in the solution and wring out so damp and not wet, add the seedling. this mix will get the rooting started quickly and produce strong hairy roots. I transplant into a 1-3 litre pot as soon as the tap root comes out the bottom of the cube.

FIRST TRANSPLANT

Great White mycorrhizae sprinkled in the hole where cube will be placed or onto the cube itself.
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.0ec (500ppm) This is approximately 2ml/litre.
Roots Excellurator 0.3ml/litre
SuperVit 1drop/4liitres
Advanced Nutrients VooDoo Juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

PH 5.8

SECOND TRANSPLANT.....

Great White Mycorrhizae sprinkled in hole for transplant or direct onto rootzone
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrient PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.2-1.4ec (600-700ppm)
SuperVit 1drop/4litres
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

FLOWER PERIOD (START OF 12/12)

WEEK 1

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.4ec (700ppm)
Buddhas Tree Flower Burst 0.25ml/litre
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1scoop/10 litres
Advanced Nutrients sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 2

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 3

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.5-1.6ec (750-800ppm)
Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 4 and WEEK 5

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.6ec (800ppm)
Buddhas Tree PK 0.25ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 6

CalMag 0.3ml/litre (150ppm)
Buddhas Tree Pk 0.5ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1-2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/10litres

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 7

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 1.8ec (900ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 8

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.8ec (900ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 2.0ec (1000ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 9

First water to 50% run off.
Allow to dry until pots light to lift.
Water only daily. Enough so that its ready for more 24 hours later. DO NOT KEEP DRENCHED. Biggest chance of bud rot is now.
Flushing will clean excess salts and increase both yield and quality as it forces plants to finish.
Only water until harvest, minimum 7 days water.

Hydro is exactly the same as above with 3 changes.

1st replace Ionic Coco Bloom with Ionic Hydro Bloom

2nd Base nutrient EC/PPM at each feed can be pushed an extra 0.2ec/100ppm if required

3rd PH should be between 5.5-6.0 throughout.

In Recirculating Hydro PH swings are normal, allow some fluctuation as its better for plants to have a good range to uptake nutes. Set it at the lower end and allow it to increase. If it goes over 6.0 readjust to 5.8.

The recipe above is just one recipe that works well. Once you understand the plants needs at each period of growth you can adjust the feeds as going week by week isnt the most accurate way to do it but 100% this baseline recipe will give great results.

Finally in Coco and Hydro plants must be fed daily at least once per day. Do not keep media saturated ever. For Coco give enough liquid so plants are ready to be fed again 24 hours later when hand feeding. So plants should be light to lift but not completely dried out to the point of leaves wilting. Never allow it to dry out completely as the salts in the Media will burn the roots.

I hope this helps and if anyone wants alternatives to any products just ask.

Peace.
THis is funny. I water 3 time a day to a 50% run off. Recirculated back to res. no salt build up ever. Keep them wet.

Attachments

• grow.jpg
    grow.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 230
hey bro.

So i have all the nutrients that is on your post dated 2017 haha!

I was wondering cutting out most of whatbis on there and still getting a great yield?

How does this sound?

Base nutrient in veg;
Advanced Nutrients
- Micro
- Grow
- Bloom

Base nutrient in flower;
Ionic
- Coco Bloom.

And for additives I will use.
- CalMag (when needed)
- Ph down
- Silica (possibly won't need it).

Beneficial bacteria;
- Mycorrhizae (when transplanting & occasional bloom feed)

Is there anything from your list that you would add? I woukd just like a full understanding on the nutes and if you have come to a conclusion you don't need to use so much? Or is it all down to environment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated bro. Thank you

Hi,

I’m Very new to all this.

The more I read the more it does my head in lol.

I’ve read else where to water with 20% run off for Coco. Apparently it’s critical to flush away salts with each water but now I’m reading that no run off is the way to go.

I’m thinking maybe delete all previous knowledge I’ve learnt and start fresh here to avoid conflicting information.

So water less volume but more often is the go for coco. Have I at least got this right?

The last time I watered was 6 days ago. I watered until I had 20% run off and the small pots are still heavy.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I’m Very new to all this.

The more I read the more it does my head in lol.

I’ve read else where to water with 20% run off for Coco. Apparently it’s critical to flush away salts with each water but now I’m reading that no run off is the way to go.

I’m thinking maybe delete all previous knowledge I’ve learnt and start fresh here to avoid conflicting information.

So water less volume but more often is the go for coco. Have I at least got this right?

The last time I watered was 6 days ago. I watered until I had 20% run off and the small pots are still heavy.

Thanks in advance.
Yes

my water is 0.4 , where you state things start add up I’m a bit confused. If you say get it to 1.0 with 0.3 cal mag and .7 base nutes.
do I just do .9 base nutes to get my 1.3.
Adding no cal mag.
Assuming I don’t have much in the 0.4 when will I know if I need to add cal mag and at what dose.
Sorry if it’s confusing .
thanks for any replies people

THis is funny. I water 3 time a day to a 50% run off. Recirculated back to res. no salt build up ever. Keep them wet.
How is this funny? If you read carefully I said when HAND WATERING ONCE PER DAY, as that is what many newer growers do. When I say saturated I mean not sitting soaking wet in a tray with run off. Its impossible to over water coco when it runs away. Would have been more polite to ask why I state this in my original post instead of trying to flex here. I've grown thousands and thousands and thousands of plants. If you don't agree with me make sure its in the correct context. I recirculating system is not the same as hand feeding x1 daily and this thread is aimed at novice growers.

hand feeding x1 daily and this thread is aimed at novice growers.

Novice grower here and I’ve found this thread great and I’ve managed to grow some decent bud. I can’t get most of the products that you recommended where I live but I’ve found products that work for me when using the ECs you have listed as a guide. Thanks heaps mate. Hope to see you around here more often.

I’ve been drooling over your critical jack and amnesia haze :yummy:

Thanks for all this info! I’ve gone page by page through everything available. It was painful at times and is just a total feat of perseverance your still here sharing the knowledge, thanks a million. Im fully invested in your system. The only sub I had to make was for the USA version of Ionic Bloom. Its not coco specific but looks like others have used it with success in coco. Really looking forward to what this method will produce for me

Hey everyone.

Ive been growing for a long time now and mostly coco. Ive grown literally thousands and thousands of plants so here i will dedicaye a thread to growing in coco.

Please ask questions, i will always answer. No question is stupid, if you dont know then you dont know.

I will start by adding this feeding schedule. There are variations and more ways to do it but this will 100% give quality results.

Here is the Coco schedule. Remember its a guide, no substitute for knowing plants needs.

Ive had a lot of questions on nutrients recently so im going to list a full nute schedule that i use for Coco and Hydro growing. Im not going to list a soil feed schedule because there are variables that could affect what nutrients are used. Also 99% of my growing is hydroponic and I include coco in that so I will advise on what I do to get top results.

Before I make the list be aware that nutrients are way less important than light source and environment. I know alot of people grow on a tight budget but dont skip on a good light source. The video I posted yesterday explains about minimum requirements for growing and why. You want minimum 400w actual draw for a 4x4 square foot area (1x1m), yes you can grow with less but i'm not interested in growing weed with a torch or a 200w draw LED that claims to be a 600w equivalent. If you are growing even one plant make it the best it can be, its a long process to grow. Dont settle for an oz or 2 every 3 months as its wasted time and money when you can x6 that minimum just by using the correct source. A 400w hps would be the minimum requirement for me and my feed schedule represents a grow using adequate light. It stands to reason that a plant with less light will need less nutrient, just like a standard car will need less fuel than a Bugatti Veron.

So with all that said here are the schedules. You can omit anything you like additive wise but base nutrient is the most important. These are recipes that work for me and will vary depending on the quality of the water but anyone using water that is no higher than 0.7ec (350ppm) or using RO water should work. Of course try to never use tap water higher than 0.4ec (200ppm) if it can be helped.

The schedules will be based on 9 week strains, if running 8 week strains just finish nutes a week earlier. I never grow strains longer than 9 weeks now but a 10 week strain you would add 1 more week of the final boost. Strains over that will be different mix and I wont touch on that today.

I have got to these recipes over 15 years or so growing. Im not saying this is the only way but you will not fail if you follow these recipes and have adequate light source and environment.

My schedules will go off using RO water so a starting water of 0 EC (0 PPM) This will make it easier, you can omit calmag if water is of good quality and 0.3ec+ usually but its worth having incase it needs to be dded. If using water of 0.3 ec (150ppm) for example you would add that value to the value of feed i suggest. So if I suggest 1.0 ec of nutes you would add 0.3ec on to that making 1.3ec. Also the values will add up so for example if its 0.3 calmag and i add base nutrient then add it on to the 0.3ec. so if i say base up to 1.0ec that includes the 0.3 of calmag, in other words 0.7ec of base nutrient.

Finally a good EC/PPM meter is really important as is a good PH Pen, they will help you know exactly what is going into the nutrient mix and will be a valuable tool for diagnosing any possible problems. Never go off what the bottle recommends especially for anything that effects EC/PPMs.

RECIPE FOR COCO COIR.....

SEEDLINGS....

Jiffy pellets/root riot cubes/rockwool

Calmag (optional, use if water is RO) 0.1ec (50ppm)
SuperVit 1 drop/4litres water
H+G Roots Excellurator Gold 0.3ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/4 litres
PH 5.5-5.8

Soak the cubes or pellets in the solution and wring out so damp and not wet, add the seedling. this mix will get the rooting started quickly and produce strong hairy roots. I transplant into a 1-3 litre pot as soon as the tap root comes out the bottom of the cube.

FIRST TRANSPLANT

Great White mycorrhizae sprinkled in the hole where cube will be placed or onto the cube itself.
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.0ec (500ppm) This is approximately 2ml/litre.
SuperVit 1drop/4liitres
Advanced Nutrients VooDoo Juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

PH 5.8

SECOND TRANSPLANT.....

Great White Mycorrhizae sprinkled in hole for transplant or direct onto rootzone
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrient PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.2-1.4ec (600-700ppm)
SuperVit 1drop/4litres
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

FLOWER PERIOD (START OF 12/12)

WEEK 1

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 2

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 3

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.5-1.6ec (750-800ppm)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 4 and WEEK 5

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Buddhas Tree PK 0.25ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 6

CalMag 0.3ml/litre (150ppm)
Buddhas Tree Pk 0.5ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1-2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/10litres

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 7

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 1.8ec (900ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 8

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.8ec (900ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 2.0ec (1000ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 9

First water to 50% run off.
Allow to dry until pots light to lift.
Water only daily. Enough so that its ready for more 24 hours later. DO NOT KEEP DRENCHED. Biggest chance of bud rot is now.
Flushing will clean excess salts and increase both yield and quality as it forces plants to finish.
Only water until harvest, minimum 7 days water.

Hydro is exactly the same as above with 3 changes.

1st replace Ionic Coco Bloom with Ionic Hydro Bloom

2nd Base nutrient EC/PPM at each feed can be pushed an extra 0.2ec/100ppm if required

3rd PH should be between 5.5-6.0 throughout.

In Recirculating Hydro PH swings are normal, allow some fluctuation as its better for plants to have a good range to uptake nutes. Set it at the lower end and allow it to increase. If it goes over 6.0 readjust to 5.8.

The recipe above is just one recipe that works well. Once you understand the plants needs at each period of growth you can adjust the feeds as going week by week isnt the most accurate way to do it but 100% this baseline recipe will give great results.

Finally in Coco and Hydro plants must be fed daily at least once per day. Do not keep media saturated ever. For Coco give enough liquid so plants are ready to be fed again 24 hours later when hand feeding. So plants should be light to lift but not completely dried out to the point of leaves wilting. Never allow it to dry out completely as the salts in the Media will burn the roots.

I hope this helps and if anyone wants alternatives to any products just ask.

Peace.
Hi great post.. I’m a little stuck if anyone can put me right. It’s the 50% run off flush bit. 50% of what? Pots are 20 litre if that helps.
thanks for any help

Back
Top Bottom