How to measure days and height

420NLguy

This is my first grow, so I would like to know what the prevailing method is for counting days and of measuring plant height.

I am currently calling the day I put the seeds in water to start germinating as Day 0. I'm at Day 35 now.

I am currently measuring plant height from the base of the soil nearest the root to the top of the stem [where the small new leaves start to grow up], as opposed to the top of the tip of the highest leaf. But that seems to be an issue now, as more leaves grow. The leaves grow straight up from the stem at first, then fan out. So do I measure to the top of those tips? After they grow more and fan out, it exposes the center of the stem, which is now lower than the tips were. So using the tip of the stem would make the plant look like it gets taller, then shorter. So I figure there must be a better way of measuring height.

Thanks

Whatever makes you happy dude, there aren't "rules" to measuring time/height. With that said, I (and I believe most people) use the day they plant their seed as day 1. Germination doesn't count towards growth in my book. Height is typically measured from the bottom of the plant (above the grow medium) to the top of the main stem. Like I said earlier though, whatever works best for you.

I count day 1 from the day the plant pokes out of the dirt. Some seeds like my last ones split in 24 hours and poked up 48 hours later. I've been waiting over a week for these ChemoX seeds to pop and one did yesterday and one today. Two left to go.

I count flowering days from the day I put the girls under 12/12.

It makes sense to me to do it that way. YMMV tho. As long as you're consistent with the way you do it you have something to compare YOUR future grows against tho it may not be comparable to other folks results.

Again, whatever works for you, just do it that way always, be consistant. Like Dirty420247 said, that way you have something to compare to for your future grows
In my book, I have germination,seedling stage,vegiation, then flower.
Germination is how long it takes to break the soil. Seedling stage is usually around 2 weeks, or till the 3rd node, then vegging is until I turn the lights to 12/12 cycle

to make it easyer on ya just let your lady grow to your desired height, 12 inches, 20 inches, 4 feet. Once you plant reaches your prefered height just switch the light cycle to flowering and wait for any signs of hairs, wait a lil bit more longer until you can see THC glands and keep an eye when they start getting golden then you harvest, dry it, put some in a bowl, and get stoned!!

My plants are doing much better ever since I started using Miracle Gro. That saved my bacon. They were looking real bad before that. Amazing stuff.

It's been 49 days since I put my seed in water. It took 3 days to sprout a tail, then on to a Jiffy pot. It took another 7 days to sprout the 1st "sensor" leaves (cotyledon). I have 3 plants doing well out of 5 seeds to start with.

I've read some place that veg starts when the 4th node appears and the 5th node is just starting to show in the apical. Others say veg starts when the 3rd node appears. My plants got to 4th node on Day 39. They had 5 blades/leaf until Day 49. Still others say to keep in veg stage until plants gets to 9 or 11 blades/leaf.

So I will keep them in veg stage until all plants get 9 blades/leaf. They should be nice and ready by then.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Again, whatever works for you but I do have a couple of comments. One, why are you using Mircle Grow? There are much better nutes than that crap. It is time released and you have no control of when your plants get which nute. Second, your plants will tell you when they are mature and ready to flower, just wait till you get alternating nodes, be it at the 7th, 9th, or whatever node.
Good luck

Again, whatever works for you but I do have a couple of comments. One, why are you using Mircle Grow? There are much better nutes than that crap. It is time released and you have no control of when your plants get which nute. Second, your plants will tell you when they are mature and ready to flower, just wait till you get alternating nodes, be it at the 7th, 9th, or whatever node.
Good luck

Agreed MG sux, but it's better than nothing at all.

The liquid and crystal versions aren't time release, just the stuff they put in their soil mixes and stuff marked time release. It's pretty easy to overdose with that liquid and the water soluble crystals. I used it many years ago and burned some girls in my haste. :0)

From ma experience yes miracle grow is better than nothing, i had a succesful chronic grow just by using the powder food and disolved in water, i used low doses thou and made ma lady hit like mike tyson lol

I'm using the crystal version. It's called Miracle Gro All Purpose. I mix 1 of their teaspoons with 1 qt. water, then give each plant 4 to 12 ozs of that every 2-4 weeks. It saved my plants, so it does work well. No more brown tips, yellow leaves, etc. All very healthy since I used it.

Plus, I don't have that much choice down here in Panama. You take what you can get. I was lucky to find that.

I like the "wait for alternating nodes" plan rather than "x blades/leaf" or "x inches height" (which is hard to do when you LST). Thanks. Good tip.

Back
Top Bottom