Hydrogen Peroxide!

The main method of Hydrogen Peroxide is that the roots suspended directly into water with no growing medium.There are 6 basic types of hydroponic systems; Wick, Water Culture, Ebb and Flow, Drip Nutrient Film Technique and Aeroponic. There are hundreds of variations on these basic types of systems, but all hydroponic methods are a variation or combination of these six. Scroll down this page to see drawings and a description of each type of hydroponic system.

Let's look at what Ed Rosenthal says about peroxide in High Times two years ago.

I found this article very interesting. It was written by Ed Rosenthal. I see a lot of mis-information about peroxide, and debate too, so I wanted to show you what he says. Of course, everyone has their opinion. (this is a cut and paste)

by Ed Rosenthal.
How much hydrogen peroxide should be used?
When and how much hydrogen peroxide should I use in my hydroponic solution?

Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer that can be used to destroy fungi, molds, bacteria and other infectious agents as well as some pollutants. Adding it to your water helps plants by destroying infectious agents and by adding oxygen to the roots' environment.
Hydrogen peroxide is an essential ingredient in maintaining a clean growing room. It replaces chlorine bleach, which is antiseptic but harmful to breathe. When added to reservoirs, hydrogen peroxide slows the growth of algae and other water organisms so that trays and utensils need to be cleaned less frequently. Soil and water borne diseases such as pythium and other stem and root rots occur at much lower rates in hydrogen peroxide-enriched water. Hydrogen peroxide works because of the oxidative reaction, so micro-organisms are unlikely to develop a tolerance.
There are many ways to add hydrogen peroxide to the water. A measured amount every three days is the crudest method, but still effectively enriches the water. A smaller measured amount daily would even out the peaks and valleys of oxygen in the water. Another method is to use a drip similar to an IV bag, which continuously adds a regulated amount. The most sophisticated method is a probe which measures the oxygen content of the water as an indirect means of measuring the hydrogen peroxide, and adds an appropriate amount as needed.
When used properly, hydrogen peroxide can keep infections in the garden to a minimum and stimulate root growth by increasing the oxygen content of the water. Hydrogen peroxide degrades into free oxygen and water over a three-day period. Some of the oxygen dissolves in the reservoir water and is used by the roots.
Different concentrations of hydrogen peroxide solution are available. It is sold diluted to 3% in drug stores. Some indoor garden shops sell 10% grade and 35% grade is sold in a few health food stores and over the Internet. The 3% hydrogen peroxide solution can be used topically to sterilize cuts and infections. Hydrogen peroxide solution at 10% burns skin. 35% hydrogen peroxide solution acts much like a concentrated acid and is handled as a hazardous, corrosive liquid.
The 10% hydrogen peroxide solution is sometimes used at rates as low as one ounce per 10 gallons water; however, enrichment using an ounce per gallon is more effective for disease control. When 35% hydrogen peroxide solution is used, it can be added at the rate of three ounces per 10 gallons of water. If a 3% solution is used, use three ounces per gallon of water as a cure.

Thanks Roseman. The main reason I introduced H2o2 into my rez was because I started 5 plants in one 5 gallon bucket. Some of them turned out to be males, and when they where pulled, the roots were left tangled with the others. I didn't want to damage the good rots by trying to remove the old ones. I figured the H2o2 would keep root rot and other negative side effects at bay (can't be good to have dead roots breaking down in my rez, but soil would most likely be a different matter). There is nothing like some hands on experience to learn. Next time, 1 plant per 5 gallon bucket.

Thanks Roseman. The main reason I introduced H2o2 into my rez was because I started 5 plants in one 5 gallon bucket. Some of them turned out to be males, and when they where pulled, the roots were left tangled with the others. I didn't want to damage the good rots by trying to remove the old ones. I figured the H2o2 would keep root rot and other negative side effects at bay (can't be good to have dead roots breaking down in my rez, but soil would most likely be a different matter). There is nothing like some hands on experience to learn. Next time, 1 plant per 5 gallon bucket.

I have tested this EIGHT TIMES, look here:
Whacking The Males

NO SHOCK, NO slow growth, no consequences and I have convinced many many growers to try it and they got the same results.

I have tested this EIGHT TIMES, look here:
Whacking The Males

NO SHOCK, NO slow growth, no consequences and I have convinced many many growers to try it and they got the same results.

My Friend! 1,000 +reps Roseman (when I can...;))! I had read all sorts of crap about how messing with the roots is very counterproductive. Your thread on cutting the roots off is so informative. It's just the info I've been looking for. This is the kind of stuff I love this community for! I could'be searched all day online and never found this info, but all I did was post something, and a solution is posted within minutes! :slide::thumb:

Speaking of whacking the roots... I use an EZ-Clone 120 cloning machine. When cuttings root they do so at an uneven rate (some clones root days before others). I have been trimming roots to a uniform size for transplant for several years now... Not only is it not harmful, but also prevents a clone from becoming prematurely root-bound; if I do not trim the roots and simply coil the extra up in the bottom of the pot they tend to become root-bound almost from the gate. I will have to take some photos on the next run.

Speaking of whacking the roots... I use an EZ-Clone 120 cloning machine. When cuttings root they do so at an uneven rate (some clones root days before others). I have been trimming roots to a uniform size for transplant for several years now... Not only is it not harmful, but also prevents a clone from becoming prematurely root-bound; if I do not trim the roots and simply coil the extra up in the bottom of the pot they tend to become root-bound almost from the gate. I will have to take some photos on the next run.

When I go to Lowes or Home depot, and buy a quart container of 3 or 4 plants for my garden, the roots are all tied together, interwoven together. I pull them apart, cut them evenly and set them out and they take off with no consequences. So I tried it with my pot plants. I told a 100 Deep Water Culture, they tried it and it works for them too.

Thanks Kickstart. This is very useful info for me as I plan on doing soil grows at some point. I am going to pass this along to my local buddy who uses a EZ-Cloner into soil. I am sure this will help him because I know for a fact he coils up the root at the bottom of the pot!:smokin:

When I go to Lowes or Home depot, and buy a quart container of 3 or 4 plants for my garden, the roots are all tied together, interwoven together. I pull them apart, cut them evenly and set them out and they take off with no consequences. So I tried it with my pot plants. I told a 100 Deep Water Culture, they tried it and it works for them too.

Well, now a 101 Deep Water Culture will have tried it. Thanks for all of the useful posts/threads you bring us.:goodjob:

New growers are always thinking they have to treat their plants with kid gloves...the problem occurs when you start getting nice size buds and people start squeezing them...this is the time to leave your plants alone and alot of time if you do have nice size buds that squeezing could lead to bud mold and rot.

Thanks Ledtester, that is the truth! Yeah, I don't plan on messing with my buds. It's kind of like a strip club (can't touch, but look all you want...). I try to wear latex gloves most of the time when I'm handling my plants. I know being clean and maintaining a sterile environment are great prevention tools. :smokin:

It's kind of like a strip club (can't touch, but look all you want...).:

OHHH I don't know about that. I would probably either get slapped and tossed around by the bouncer or she would ask me for more money with what I do to my plants and depending on the finery of the establishment!...lol

BTW I bought a 4lt of H2O2 two weeks ago for someone for $30 for 35%...today I happen to stop in and the stuff is only 29% and they want $70 for a 4lt jug WTF!

This is for whoever asked why you shouldn't use drug store HP
H2O2 is an oxidant and corrosive. I wouldn't be eating it. If you're looking for DILUTED H2O2, you can find it at the drug store near the toothpastes and dental care products. It's also used to bleach hair, so you may find it there depending on the store.

It should be noted however, that the 3% hydrogen peroxide from drug stores is for external use only as it contains powerful stabilizer compounds which are toxic if taken internally.

H2o2 can degrade in heat, but no where on the package does it state that so that packages are left in the sun and become destroyed, and they fail to take responsibility for not noting that on the package.

Here are some of the ways to use hydrogen peroxide that I'll talk about at this site:

As a mouthwash and gargle
In relaxing baths and foot baths
To sanitize toothbrushes, and dentures
As a produce wash, to keep fruits and veggies fresh longer
To disinfect compost pails, cutting boards, and scrub brushes
For washing carpets, floors, and windows
Stripping wood furniture, and cleaning wooden decks
Removing mold
To brighten laundry & remove stains
To clean out aquariums
To keep the water clean in fish farming
In gardening: As a plant fertilizer and plant spray
To clean swimming pools and spas, as an alternative to chlorine
Taxidermists use it to clean and whiten bones.....
It's used in making cheese
Aseptic packaging (those weird little boxes that food comes in) are sprayed with it
It is used in products for whitening teeth, treating acne, and cleaning contact lenses
Oh, and it's also great for cleaning cuts and skin infections! You know, like the brown bottles at the drug store....
Now, this is kind of wonderful, really. Right there, hydrogen peroxide is very practical to have around

Hydrogen Peroxide: practical, environmentally friendly & anti-bacterial

BTW I bought a 4lt of H2O2 two weeks ago for someone for $30 for 35%...today I happen to stop in and the stuff is only 29% and they want $70 for a 4lt jug WTF!

H2O2 is also used in livestock watering troves. Most feed stores carry it by the gallon and five gallon. Saves a few bucks. :peacetwo:

:nicethread:

Thank you soooo much for all that great info!!

I've always known that the generic h2o2 at the drug store is stabilized, but I did not know that the stabilization chemicals were not OK for use in gardening... very good to know that!

I also did not know I could order 35% h2o2 -- that's a big money saver over the years for sure, and I'm very excited to be able to replace my chemical-based cleaning solutions with h2o2 if I can, that would be fantastic! Talk about the ultimate in organic gardening...

:thanks:

One question -- can anyone recommend the best concentration levels for things like watering in soil, versus making a more concentrated cleaning solution?

I would think that for soil watering I would still be going with just a few tablespoons of 3% solution per quart or so, but for cleaning I was thinking that a solution with a higher concentration would be better, perhaps 10%? But I'm not sure now concentrated I should go with the h2o2 before it'll get corrosive and start to eat my mylar, etc... that would be no fun. I'll have to do more research.

Also, it appears that when h2o2 decomposes, it produces oxygen gas, which might need to be vented from time to time. Do I need to worry about my bottle of 35% h2o2 popping its top one day when it's on the shelf??

Oh... any safe handling instructions? I'm no chemist. Any safety info would be great, I have no interest in melting off half my face in a bizzare accident. ;)

Back
Top Bottom