I have a two part question on electricity for indoor growing...

dirtyjerz

Ok besides outside involvements when growing, I've noticed that most people get caught growing indoors because of the electricity bill. Now my question is... how much electricity is too much... Is having a few hps lights, fans, carbon filters, and hydro set up enough to get the cops knocking at youre door. Ive noticed this because it seems with even one plant you can get into alot of trouble for growing...

other alternatives??? would a generator work? solor panels? stealing electricity seems to be a bad idea because that could draw attention.. what do most of you guys on here do... im completely just wondering, im too scared to grow...

You should try to decrease electricity use in other areas to offset your usage as soon as you add the grow lights.

Change all of your home lights to the most efficient CFLs. Unplug electronics and appliances when not in use to avoid energy vampires like flashing LEDs and other energy drainers. Reducing the temp of your water heater is a good way to save energy. Turn off your computer when not in use. Adjust your thermostat a degree or two.

I think most people could offset 400-600 watts of grow lights and a couple of fans with a little effort. I was able to offset most of my electricity costs using this approach.

:peace:

Harry

i see the best resoults from guys using solar power...........i'm pumping about 49,000 lumans...using one 435 watt, and 4 other lights....fan on high 24/7 and air and water pumps going 24/7........all this only uses $22.00 a month.........not even worth a look from the elect. company......unless you bills go over 150.00 more a month......should be no problem............tell them its your new hot tub!!!

I believe in the states each bedroom is allowed 1000 watts of power. So if you have a 3 bedroom house you could have 2 1000 watt lights and some fans and what not and be fine.

Happiehippie talked about solar panels, something I think sounds like a great idea. Once I get my own place Im going to install a bunch of solar panels. And Im sure they have come down in price and are probally a lot easier to install now too.

Depending on where you live and the cost of your electricty in your region, each electric bill will be different. We pay the highest in electricty here in Hawaii than anywhere else.
Average costs for me no lights is over $250.00 /mth and as high as $550.00 I just switched to Solar Water and that has reduced my avg bill from $500.00 to $250.00 / Mth. Add in 1K of lights, + fans, etc... I pay .42/KWH here.
If you live in a home 3/2 or app 1200 sq ft + adding in 1-2KWH of light will not set off alarms. Try using 600wHPS instead of 1K, to reduce costs. Stagar lights with timers too.
I am sure each of us share the same fears of growing. Sometimes we need to face those fears headon, in order to help us overcome that anxiety attack of FEAR Itself. Do you live in a State where it is legal for Medical Cannabis?
Have you researched what rights you have when an officer comes to " knock & talk"? Whatever that case is, never allow any Police Officer voluntarily into your home. EVER!! unless they have a Proper Search Warrant for that exact premise and for the exact specified conditions in which they are looking. With the help of many Cannabis Warriors amongst us trying to help overturn these archaic laws, that we have become feared by, we can change, what is a given right to to do in or own home or back yard, and that is to Grow our own Cannabis.
Good Luck

Don't even open the door for cops. If they have a warrent they're more then likely to knock your door down then wait for you to answer. Ask to see their badges and the warrent before you open the door if they do knock.

vexer thats not the greatest advice.... if u act suspicious, it would give them more of a reason to look into your situation...

but anyone ever use genorators??? do they use too much gas??

my generator uses about a 2 gallons a day for 2 1K watts a mover and a 8" vortex.

lol so youre paying approx 150$/mo just for that? maybe you should forget the generator idea.

almost cheaper just to buy the weed

-RC

If your worried about 150 dollars a month then a 2000 dollar generator isn't for you.
To go so far to say "it is almost cheaper to buy the weed", lol, where does 2lbs= $300??

lol im not arguing that 1lb/mo isnt worth but im saying if youre worried about your electric bill raising you probally wouldnt want to be spending an extra $150/mo on gasoline when fuel prices are rising right now

and i just want to say, youre right a 2,000$ generator isnt for me, thats why i have a 20,000$ full house backup generator that runs off 3 80gal propane tanks. BUT i still dont run it to cut down on my electric bill.

and i dont know how discrete a noisy generator is running next to your house when youre power has been working fine

anyways, i dont really want this to go any further so ill shut up now ;)
need to smoke one

-RC

Just curious how do you know that most people get caught this way?

because thats what "they" say

but i think thats from people stuffing 8+ 1000w lights in a 2b 2b house and running extension cords from the house next door and having all the windows covered up. its more than just the electricity, but having your bill go from $150 to 450$ might be a red flag for concern....

but i always wondered, shouldnt they give the benefit of a doubt? what if i wanted to grow a couple bedrooms full of tomatoes?

-RC

Actually most people get busted because they couldn't keep their mouth shut about what they were doing. They had to brag to a buddy and then to look cool the buddy had to brag about his buddy and it goes down the line like that. Very few get busted due to electric bills.
And solar and generaators are great to supplement electricity but make inefficient total power sources for growing unless you do it big time. I own 3 different generators. From a small 1000 watt one to a bigger 4000 watt one. none are super quiet and are obvious when running. More obvious than a slightly raised electric bill anyway.

I'm pretty sure the electric companies aren't in cohutes with LEO. I believe they have to follow a privacy policy, so they can't make any assumptions and just go blab them to whoever.

Every house bust I;ve heard about through friends has been traced back to complaining neighbors... smells, noise, multiple short visits..(usualy because of parking.) The big ones I hear about on the news usualy get popped for STEALING electricity...

a couple or so 1kw lights won't attract too much attention, especially if your in an older property...

The cost os more prohibitive... save energy wherever you can. Floroecent or LED lights in the house... use power strips for your computers tv's microwave, coffe maker etc., and turn em off with that...

See if there are peak hour and off hour rates in your area... it may be better to have your 12 on at night

Ok besides outside involvements when growing, I've noticed that most people get caught growing indoors because of the electricity bill. Now my question is... how much electricity is too much... Is having a few hps lights, fans, carbon filters, and hydro set up enough to get the cops knocking at youre door. Ive noticed this because it seems with even one plant you can get into alot of trouble for growing...

other alternatives??? would a generator work? solor panels? stealing electricity seems to be a bad idea because that could draw attention.. what do most of you guys on here do... im completely just wondering, im too scared to grow...

put it this way, unless you go throwing 10 1000w lights in your house overnight, you should be fine, just keep your secret your secret. dont ever tell any one. dont show us your face or tell anyone here where you live. just be very smart about what you do and think before you do it

dont leave obvious clues or anything that might draw attention outside the house.

i also left a few shampoo bottles in the bathroom window when i sealed it up to make it look like its being used for showers and not growing. make things look NORMAL. mow your lawn. dont invite people over and if someone stops by make sure they cant smell, hear, or see anything, keep the doors locked.

the only thing is about the electricity, if you live in an apartment or condo, if youre renting and you landlord recieves your bill. then i would keep it 1000w or less and cut down on all other electric possible to keep it varying too much. run lights at night, off at hottest parts of the day. under 1000w of lights doesnt add a whole lot to your bill, then think, toss a few CFL bulbs around the house and figure youre cutting 50w or so from each light. and turn things off (lights, fans, ect...) if youre not in the room. (excluding grow lights, fans, ect..)hehe

anyways good luck :rollit:

-RC

Back
Top Bottom