I'm needing some help please

doublejjr

Hello everyone i hope I'm in the right place. What I'm trying to do is grow lol. It's just for my wife and I. maybe 2 plants at a time will be enough until cycle goes around to grow again. But I'm limited to space i have been looking at the pc growers but to small. So I'm trying to get some input from you guys.

What will be a good small grow box for 2 plant and for ebb system? maybe a 3x3 box or 4x3? and the lighting hds light are better to use but cant use them so been looking at cfl light. how many cfl's do i need.

thanks

They sell these grow cabinets in the magazines and the internet. I am pretty sure they come prefab. with the fans and drip systems already installed. One thing though, doublejjr, why use CFL? CFL produce some really leafy crappy bud in my opinion. Why not, if growing only 2 plants, get a 600 HID and get some dense, top shelf marijuana. CFL are ok for vegging but for budding they suck.

the reason for the CFL's? i have seen on the internet some awesome yield but not knowing the taste or quality of the bud. also the CFL's are cheaper to run. also less heat

+1 on the HID.

I think if you are going to only grow like 2 plants you might be better off with something like a 150w HPS that is vented well. If you are going to buy all the hydro stuff, I think the light is the most important. The only problem with the 150w is after you finish a successful grow you might be kickin yourself for not buying the 600w :)

The problems with CFLs is the bigger ones seem to be unreliable or you need so many small ones you run into space problems and even some small heat issues. Right now Im doing a full CFL grow because my current space can't handle the heat from the HPS. The bud looks like some fire but just are not as tight as Id like them to be. Id prioritize the light over tents and even growing hydro, soil is cheap and forgiving but I understand hydro seems to turn over faster so that cant be overlooked.

Defintely hit up Tulip's CFL Tutorial if you choose CFLs its a great thread, the 4 way sockets are pretty clutch. It somewhere on these forums.

I also saw some great looking grow tents on amazon that started at like $90+ depending on size.

Edit: Nirvana ships to US as do others. Ive heard nothing but great things about Nirvana seeds and will be making my next order from them

Ok, I've decided to use a 400w hds light. I'm just going to keep it simple as possible. possible CFL on the sides. My plans are I have a 42'' Tv in my room sitting on top of a dresser. I'm want to build or purchase a box something to reset the tv on since I'm using the dresser that the tv is on now.

now with that being said.

How big should the box be with the 400w hds light. theirs needing to be room enough for the plant to grow with out getting burned. also so the plants can grow at a good size? also the TV needs to be at least 4 to 5 feet tall.

I'm planning on using the ebb system for this?

Thanks

I've used a 400w hps in my closet and I couldn't keep the heat down with air being drawn in from my crawl space and air being pulled out to the outside of my house. I now use T-5's on top and cfls on the side. I keep six plants going at all times with 2 coming to maturity at a time. I get 1.5 to 2.5 ozs. per plant. I also get some tight buds; check out the pic on my profile.

hello herb fellow, now with you using the t-5 how many on top? and how many CFL's on side? will a 250hds work for you?

If you are dead set on a setup like that. You are going to want to build it as tall as possible Id imagine and maybe look into scrog growing. Ventilation is going to be your biggest problem because 400w give off so much heat. Make sure the light has its own ventilation or the temps will be unmanageable.

Im a soil grower so I cant advise you on the ebb part Im not sure the dimensions on something like that.

Do you need the box to be discreet or is just ideal for complete darkness?

Edit: I forgot about T5s thats actually a great idea for the box youre describing.

to Billmoe93 it's mostly for being discreet. cause i have no extra closets that my wife will let me use lol. but i do have a garage non-heated very cold in winter and very hot in the summer. could possibly work in the garage with the right plan setup. but still need to be discreet in the garage. please reply

thanks

I dont know the clearance on a ebb system but with a light and accounting for stretching when they start flowering 4-5 feet will be used up very fast. Its disheartening when you just run out of head room and you know you are hurting your main colas.

I mean it seems to me you are willing to spend the money to get it right. So maybe a tall grow tent in the garage. If you are pulling cars in and out then you got to be smart about it. What temps are we talking in the garage? How low and how high? Ive always grown in the fall through spring because I wont shell out for AC for my personal grow space.

At this point I think if you do the 5ft box in the house, the T5s are your best bet for heat and clearance. The density of the buds is more of a problem for caregiver/cash crops. Its nit picking but when you put in the time you want the A1 results.

I will only growing 2 or 3 plants at a time for personal use. as far as the garage goes the I live in the U.S so it gets cold out there probably in the lows of 10 to 20'sf now in the summer it's very hot and humid here. this passed summer it got about 105f out there.

So i thinking inside will be better cause not buying a ac unit for the garage. pointless just for self usage of smoke.

so for a 4x4 box dresser the t-5 will work? how many? I been looking at the t-5 I can get a unit with 8 t5 in it 4 foot with the 3000k and 6500k bulbs changes between growth stages.. that's still a nice size of lumins

The more the better, if I recall correctly rule of thumb is 5000 lumens per square foot min. 6000 to 9000 lumens is ideal.

Just do a search or check out the stickies, they will give you a more precise answer.

light_chart.jpg

heres a good image for lighting

also I'm thinking this is without the cooled hds bulbs

the unit is called the
UltraGrow 48
(8) 4' Bulbs
40,000 lumens

hey there double, You could do a small scrog cabinet. I built one using a 150watt shop light from menards, that i rewired into a homemade hood I made out of a old hibachi grill. lol. it worked.. You can use a 7 gal. rubbermaid tub and scrog 2 plants under the 150w and get a good yield, depending upon strain to of course. heres a pic of the cabinet, with the hydro tub, scrog screen, & 150w light.
Cabinet_with_scrog_tub.JPG

Top left is the electrical cabinet, & the tall open section on the left bottom holds the intake tubes, a 12" T5 light and can hold 3 bonsai mothers of your choice. If you make a small 6 site Aero cloner, you can keep a pretty good perpetual grow that will keep you & the misses smoking for a low cost.
Hope it helps...

hello you said a 150w light? which kind? hds? also what are the dimensions of the grow side? and also the size of the whole box? thanks

i like it very much make a good place to put the tv on top lol..

light_chart.jpg

heres a good image for lighting

also I'm thinking this is without the cooled hds bulbs

the unit is called the
UltraGrow 48
(8) 4' Bulbs
40,000 lumens

While I like this chart, it's just a very basic reference and doesn't seem like it takes an air cooled light into account.

I'm assuming you're talking about an HID light as I'm not familiar with an hds light...right?

I've got a grow space about the size of what you're talking about and my 250w HID light is 10" off my plants with great veg results so far. I've got a small fan blowing air in between the lights and plants, keeps it cool. I can also touch the glass without burning as my light is air cooled/ventilated.

T5's and CFL's are great for veg, not sure about flower although I've seen great results here both ways.

Just my unseasoned opinion from many, many hours of study...:peace:

hey there double, You could do a small scrog cabinet. I built one using a 150watt shop light from menards, that i rewired into a homemade hood I made out of a old hibachi grill. lol. it worked.. You can use a 7 gal. rubbermaid tub and scrog 2 plants under the 150w and get a good yield, depending upon strain to of course. heres a pic of the cabinet, with the hydro tub, scrog screen, & 150w light.
Cabinet_with_scrog_tub.JPG

Top left is the electrical cabinet, & the tall open section on the left bottom holds the intake tubes, a 12" T5 light and can hold 3 bonsai mothers of your choice. If you make a small 6 site Aero cloner, you can keep a pretty good perpetual grow that will keep you & the misses smoking for a low cost.
Hope it helps...

Dude..that so rocks! Awesome job!! :party:

Back
Top Bottom