I'd pass it off as genetics as well, it is just way to much to look at right now.

Indica or dominate indica strains would prefer cooler temps to grow whilst sativa dominate strains will tolerate higher temps... so this makes things a little tricky when growing multiple strains each with there different characteristic's plus your environmental conditions.

Don't forget hybrid strains either.

Normally fox tailing is associated with higher temps but it may just be strain/genetic related with conditions grown under.

I'd pass it off as genetics as well, it is just way to much to look at right now.

Indica or dominate indica strains would prefer cooler temps to grow whilst sativa dominate strains will tolerate higher temps... so this makes things a little tricky when growing multiple strains each with there different characteristic's plus your environmental conditions.

Don't forget hybrid strains either.

Normally fox tailing is associated with higher temps but it may just be strain/genetic related with conditions grown under.

Wow interesting.

I do have to many strains. There are 7 strains. After this there will be groups, any suggestions on how to set that up? India gives more dense yield?? Do all I do a and then all Sativa?

Wow interesting.

I do have to many strains. There are 7 strains. After this there will be groups, any suggestions on how to set that up? India gives more dense yield?? Do all I do a and then all Sativa?

Thanks for your help. Always learning ☺️

My grow normally has a few pure sativas alongside various indicas, in a 6x8 space. Plenty of times I’ve had upwards of sixteen strains, and it does get a little more complicated with all the clones of them, and the different ages/stages and feeding requirements. Right now I have ten strains I think including an Ethiopian sativa, two Golden Tigers, and. Carnival, alongside a few heavy indicas.
Other than the different feeding levels which adds a little work, I can’t think of any issues growing sativas and Indicas together. I regulate height by supercropping and training, or scrogging. Shorter plants get raised by sitting them on wooden blocks.
The sativas do tend to finish better on a shorter day cycle so I run the flowering room on 11/13.

Do you feed individually in groups or by plant for the different needs of the plants?? If I see some need different or less I act accordingly but ugh.... becoming a shit load of work. How do you organize yours? Thanks for your advice :)
@Weaselcracker

Do you feed individually in groups or by plant for the different needs of the plants?? If I see some need different or less I act accordingly but ugh.... becoming a shit load of work. How do you organize yours? Thanks for your advice :)
@Weaselcracker

Go check out the fellows grow journals out, that is the stuff in the green writing below :p

Might learn a different story that way.

Well, it is a lot of work at times, but mainly when you’re new to it. I used to find my whole grow operation to be massively confusing at times. Now it’s second nature to spin those dials and push the buttons (metaphorically speaking).

I don’t know what style of growing you do. It would be easier to base my answer on knowing that. I could probably find out if I dug around, but for the moment I’m too busy/lazy.
At this time I’m using bottled nutrients and soilless (peat moss/perlite), with weekly feedings.
This isn’t the easiest method though probably easier than straight hydroponics.

I measure ppm. The pure sativas usually get a max about 3/5- 3/4 the strength of nutrients that the hungriest indicas get. So one common situation is to mix up a bucket of bloom nutes to the strength of the hungriest feeders (making sure the ph is correct) feed them, then dilute the mix as I move on to the lighter feeders. Really simple.
Usually there are several plants that will take the same mix, so yeah I group them as much as possible. I try to round things off to be as simple as possible without getting really obsessed about the ‘perfect’ feeding level. When in doubt aim low, until proven wrong.

For example my heaviest feeder in mid flower may need around 1100 ppm (by my meter). There may be a few early flowering ones or medium feeders that need around 900 ppm so I just water it down to that. And most of my sativas max out at a steady 750 ppm. I cut the nutes to water only or else a very light bloom mix for at least the last two weeks.

Other situations are when I have plants in the first week or two of flowering that may require all grow nutes, or a mix of grow/bloom nutes since they haven’t actually started flowering yet.
I keep a bucket of grow solution in the veg room so I’ll add some of that to the bloom mix for the early flowering ones. Also simple.

Veg is the same deal. A bucket mixed at max strength for whichever plant is biggest and hungriest- and water it down from there as I feed.

It can get a little complicated when you’ve got a lot of clones of different ages, different strains, new strains, babies, etc. But like everything else it gets easy with practice.

And like I said there are easier growing methods than the way I’m doing it. Soil being one of them since you don’t have to feed as often on a schedule or measure ph.

@Weaselcracker your the F’in bomb! That’s so interesting
. Explains a lot. Liked your journals too. Give me a direction.... well for everything. Haha
I haven’t put my indica on blocks but I definitely am going to do that for my next room. Makes way more sense. Not gonna lie I get tired physically of caring these 5 gallon bucket’s of nutrients. But that’s the way I have to do it. Your comment about the feeding ppm’s Indica vs Sativa So I understand correctly your sativa are less PPM and your Indica? Do you know why that is? Curious minds want to know

Thanks MK.
Honestly I don’t know why they evolved this way. Or maybe I do, but I’m just guessing really.
To some extent they may use the same amount of nutrients over their lifetime. Sativas take quite a bit longer to flower, so in the end they go through about the same amount of food.
In my not so vast experience, the longer a strain takes to flower the less nutrients it needs, and vice versa.
So an 18 week flowering sativa will always feed lightly in my experience, while an 8 week flowering indica will be a heavy feeder.
Indicas grow further from the equator where growing seasons are shorter- so traditionally they wouldn’t have the luxury of taking a long time to flower, whereas the opposite is true for the tropical sativas. Sativas have the time to pace themselves a little and revolve more around dry/wet seasons than around the change in light cycles.
Anyway- all sorts of garden plants feed at different levels, so why not the different cannabis branches I guess.

Hopefully you don’t have to haul buckets too far. I used to constantly haul buckets all over the place in my younger days -now I’ve gotten smarter and use pumps and whatnot

wow Thats so cool! I guess it helps to know then the linage of the strain then...I feel like a junkie right now...."give me more info, more I say!" No I'm not a real junkie lol I just love growing. Its my therapy :)
My plants are going through so much right now... I so upset I have never had issues in my room before, now Im dealing with blowing up AC causing heat stress and I have way to many plants in my veg room (100) in 1/3/5/7.5gal all at different stages from reveg to Mothers and my next beauties to flip that it is really stressing me out. Room is 12x14. My newest group Peyote Cookie showed signs of N for the first time. I will flush them but sigh* ... Just one more thing.
It was because I added two more lights to my veg room, so it has 4 now and my flower has 2 so today will be the day that I flip my rooms around. my veg room because its bigger will be my flower room (4lights) and my flower room will be my veg with 2 lights, then change the timers. Just getting over whelmed I guess.
Is that the right thing to do?? Any suggestions how recover? New growth looks good though. The conditions have been good, no mould no bugs thank god.
Mommas kitchen is only 5'2 ft haha sooo 5 gal to anywhere is to far lol but its actually only 40ft.x about 10 buckets. Not sure of how else to do it and make sure that they all get the "amount" they individually need. How do the big boys do it? I guess they must stick to one strain or have many of one??

Thank you @Weaselcracker happy Tuesday

Here are some of my Durban Poison I took down last night. I let the bottom finish a few more days. I didnt even expect this plant to produce anything because it was weird from the get go. However she has heavy nugs... so I am happy and it smells amazing!!! Just thought Id share my baby. :) I am hoping to take down all them Shiva Skunk, Thai Lights, Durban Poison, Gods Green Crack, Purps and I'm leaving my Blueberry longer. It just isnt near as finished as the others. What do you think?

Looks great. Wow- 12 x 14 veg is a huge space. 100 plants in veg is a whole lot. That’s definitely way more big boy than I am.
My entire grow is 12x8, but most of that is working space as opposed to growing area. A much missed member here named Uncle Cannabis once broke his growing area down as it compared to the size of 4x8 sheets of plywood. A totally brilliant idea IMO. To use his SOP calculation - my actual growing area is less than 1.25 SOP.
My veg area, about 40”x40” is half the size of the flowering area, which has two 600 HPS.
I find that I usually am overgrown in veg and producing way more than I have room to flower. I don’t mind having extra though as it gives me more options than not having enough.
Ways of compensating for that include - dimming the veg room light, hacking tall plants down short, supercropping, underfeeding, and tossing out duplicates or strains I’m less impressed with. One great way to buy time is cut clones of a plant in veg then toss the original.
I don’t grow mother plants anymore- too much trouble. I just clone from the clones. I’ve been doing this with some strains for several years.

If you’re growing 100 plants in veg and flowering even half of those, it’s bound to be a lot of work. Growing a bunch of variety is a lot more fun than growing a monoculture, but also takes more thinking.

A guy who is constantly growing a wide variety of very beautiful plants, is PotChimp. Check out his journal here. PotChimp's Side Projects

I’m not sure exactly how he manages the workload but he makes it look easy.
He did say that when he switched from bottled nutes to granular nutes, which he digs into the potting mix, everything got way easier and grew better.

Other than that my best advice is to start a journal. You’ll get lots of help. It really got my growing on track when I did that.

I hear that is you always clone a from clone the strain gets weaker?? No?
Ill look at PotChrimps. ok what is Monoculture?
Thanks for all your advice... Ill be reading and reading it again and again haha till it sticks.
One more question Master @Weaselcracker did my trim look good? I am never sure I took off the right amount

Your trim looks great. Sometimes I leave more sugar leaf on if they’re really frosty, but usually I trim about the same as you did.
I edited my post a teeny bit. By monoculture I just meant growing one strain. Seems like usually people with large grow rooms or people trying to sell will often just grow one or two strains at a time. Not everyone though- there have been people in the forum growing legally for profit who do grow a variety, but that’s still more of an artisan/micro-growery operation than a mainstream commercial grow, which would usually be a boring monoculture plant factory approach.

Re the cloning thing- I don’t know. Some people will say (or speculate) that cloning a strain will weaken it overtime but I have not noticed that at all. I know that some people have kept strains alive for decades doing this and they seem perfectly fine. I’ve been cloning my pineapple chunk for almost 5 years now and the plant seems identical to when I started, and the bud continues to blow everyone away. So if it’s any different, I haven’t been able to tell.

Myself I found that using mother plants seemed to weaken the plants. I had to constantly transplant them into bigger pots and hack them down smaller when they overran my veg space. They were constantly getting root bound and suffering, Whereas the clones are always growing full speed ahead.
Maybe if I had a lot more space I could manage the mothers better. But the reality is they just keep getting bigger, and that’s a bit of a pain in the ass. I wouldn’t want to have to deal with a vegging mother plant for five years, like I’ve done with my pineapple chunk

Good points! Im kinda feeling that way too. Yea, I like fun soo monoculture approach wouldn't work for me really, Im way to curious about all the strains even if I don't smoke. Ya I don't smoke. I wish I could but asthma gets in the way so I do oils and edibles. I think I'd get bored to fast then think of it as a labour instead of a love.
Thanks so much for taking the time and answering all my questions and sharing... sending you a cyber high five!!

When I have left sugar on Ive been told its harsh to smoke?

Back
Top Bottom