Interupted power question

Tecumseh

I have a question about my HID lights. In my area, for some unknown reason , we suffer from frequent power outages. Often the power only blips out for a half second or so. This causes my freakin' lights to go off. Of course, they are too hot to come back on right away. I'm almost always home and if it has happened while I'm away, I don't know. I've always gone and switched the light fixtures off for at least 20 minutes to cool before turning back on. What I want to know is,.. Will the lights come back on by themselves after cooling for a while or do they need to be turned off and then back on after cooling? And, is this bad for the lights? I'm using 2 400 W MH, HPS. It aggravates the hell outta me!

Thanx

I have a question about my HID lights. In my area, for some unknown reason , we suffer from frequent power outages. Often the power only blips out for a half second or so. This causes my freakin' lights to go off. Of course, they are too hot to come back on right away. I'm almost always home and if it has happened while I'm away, I don't know. I've always gone and switched the light fixtures off for at least 20 minutes to cool before turning back on. What I want to know is,.. Will the lights come back on by themselves after cooling for a while or do they need to be turned off and then back on after cooling? And, is this bad for the lights? I'm using 2 400 W MH, HPS. It aggravates the hell outta me!

Thanx

I've had the same problem with my setup and I have 2 ballast's. One is magnetic and one is a digital lumatek....the lumatek fires up instantly with no cool down, as soon as the power is restored, however my magnetic ballast takes like 20 mins....maybe switch to digital ballasts...

Have you considered the use of a UPS (uniterruptible power supply) to prevent power loss to your lights. 1kva units go for about $150.....

Have you considered the use of a UPS (uniterruptible power supply) to prevent power loss to your lights. 1kva units go for about $150.....

I've thought about this but, will those $150 units power 800 w of light and a fan, and for how long? I have 2 of the $150 variety on my computers but, I don't know if they would be adequate for my lights. Any that I've seen that are rated with 900 w or more go for around $450-550.

Back
Top Bottom