Is Anyone Using Phillips 315 Watt Ceramic Metal Halide?

Nobody will ever convince me to change lights. At least not with what's out. Dogwash killed it. I hit a gram per watt on my first grow ever. I have 2 clones left over that I'm flowering now and there growing crazy. I have been neglecting them somewhat just from being busy and there still going strong. A 315 light in a 3 foot area is perfect. If you have a bigger area get 2.

...or if you're obsessive, get 4.

It's gonna be crowded at the top of the tent with four 315s in but hey if u can fit em in and keep temps down then awesome :)

I've been checking out some supplementary lights today, 120w tubes, similar spectrum to the CMH but not so powerful

If i can get four of them squeezed in the corners then that's gonna lift things a little

Agreed about the heat. I doubt that I'll make a decision until mid summer so I'll have a chance to better monitor the ambient temps around the tent during the hot part of the year and better speculate on my ability to keep temps down in the tent.

The dimensions of the reflectors (wing type) that I'm considering are .5m x .4m so I'm not too worried about fitting them in my 1.5m x 1.5m tent. They'll fit but ya, it'd be crowded. Being wing reflectors I can bend them as desired to focus the light to match the needed footprint at whatever height above canopy.

My goal with this is to never desire more light again in this tent. It was a downer to buy 4 two tube t5 fixture for perimeter lighting and have that not seem to help much. I'll just chalk it up to a lesson learned.

At some point is it just wasting money? I mean 2 Lights in your tent would be fantastic. Do you think you'll dbl your crop by stuffing another 2 lights in it? Not saying you wont. I don't know

Well, Dogwash has 2 lights in his same size tent and he's looking to add supplementary light. So I guess the answer is that no, 2 lights with a 3'x3' footprint each don't appear to be sufficient for a 5x5 space.

I don't believe that it would double the crop, I don't think plants and lights are modular like that, but it's not really about that for me. I'm interested in maximizing the potential of the space. I know that the part of the plant directly under any given light will produce the biggest buds in any given grow space and that the branches further away will make smaller, more airy buds. This isn't so much a business for me, mostly a hobby. I like to grow SCROG so good light over the entire surface is very useful.

I have a grow tent 1/2 your size (2.5 x 5 ft) and ideally if I had two 315w CMH fixtures that would be optimal.

Having 4x 315w fixtures in a 5x5 tent is an excellent idea.

I can't imagine 1260 bare bulb watts in a 4x4 tent. Can barely get a 1k aircooled to work in my space without heat issues. Definitely wouldn't work for me. Probably end up with one 315 and some cob side lights. Thanks guys.

Good idea.. 2 will get you going good. If you up it to 4in a 5X5 area you wouldn't need anything else except fans and a good exhaust fan for temps.

I can't imagine 1260 bare bulb watts in a 4x4 tent. Can barely get a 1k aircooled to work in my space without heat issues. Definitely wouldn't work for me. Probably end up with one 315 and some cob side lights. Thanks guys.

It's gonna be crowded at the top of the tent with four 315s in but hey if u can fit em in and keep temps down then awesome :)

I've been checking out some supplementary lights today, 120w tubes, similar spectrum to the CMH but not so powerful

If i can get four of them squeezed in the corners then that's gonna lift things a little

Here's a guy who's packing in 315s at what looks like similar spacing as what I would be doing with 4 in a 5x5 tent. In his words..."I'm absolutely KILLING it with these 315s".
20170310_200705.jpg

I didn't even think I really needed more lights really until yetanotherguy got me thinking about putting four in there and now I can't get that idea outta me head!

Fuk

They would fit in but I'm just able to keep temps down with two so not sure how wise it wud b to do?
Maybe if I ran both extraction filter fans at the same time? Five inch they are

I didn't even think I really needed more lights really until yetanotherguy got me thinking about putting four in there and now I can't get that idea outta me head!

Fuk

They would fit in but I'm just able to keep temps down with two so not sure how wise it wud b to do?
Maybe if I ran both extraction filter fans at the same time? Five inch they are

Haha, sorry man...I know how you feel though. I just finally weighed my last harvest for the first time, just out of curiosity. I got about .47 grams per watt of good bud, not counting trim or larfy stuff, with my 1140w lighting. I don't care too much about that but I was curious and I'm pretty sure 1260w of CMH would do much better without costing me much more in ventilation.

Not to make things worse for you, that one dude updated with some pics though he hasn't answered my questions yet. Obviously he's using cool hoods.
16852.JPG
22496.JPG

A friend of mine who runs a 20000w flower room recently bought 10x of these 315w CMH lamps, and dumped them after one run due to marginal canopy penetration & lackluster performance vs. his usual Gavita DE HIDs. For the record.

Well that's gavita eh, aren't they ultra bright pro lamps? I'm sure they are top end but haven't ever seen em running

Yetanotherguy, whose pics are you sharing? I'd like to read that thread

I'm kinda in the maximizing space just to see how good i can make it gang, bit of a geek challenge really

Gonna pick up some supplementary tubing today i reckon

That guys has popped in on a thread, he doesn't seem to keep a journal, on another forum that I poke around in. Turns out he runs a sealed room with CO2 and AC to keep things cool (which would be necessary with a sealed room). He thought four 315s in a 5x5 would be overkill but for better or worse, I disagree as long as temps can be kept down.

As an alternative to four 315s I'm reading up on vertical growing but I'm sure I'll stick with the horizontal grow.

Back
Top Bottom