Is it possible to get more than one harvest from a single autoflowering plant?

My gut instinct is to say, "No, of course not." But I grew an auto-flowering plant last year, and it had just started flowering "full on" when I knocked it off the counter and broke it off just above... not the cotlydons, but the very first pair of leaves above those. I threw it away, then someone talked me into digging it out of the trash and trying to repair it. That failed, and I was going to throw it away again, but those two leaves were still green - so, out of curiosity, I decided to ignore it and see how long it would take to die.

It grew up, flowered, and got harvested, lol. Did the unintentional abuse hurt the yield? Who knows. If I remember correctly, it yielded 12.6 grams. But it spent most of its life in a 18-ounce Solo cup, until (IIRC) 20 days before harvest, when I upgraded its root space to a massively huge...

2-liter Mountain Dew bottle ;) . And I also harvested it just a wee bit early, when my oldest friend stopped by one evening and mentioned that he'd just learned he had cancer and I felt the need to cheer him up by handing him a poke of (freshly harvested) bud.

And I have been told many times that, once an auto-flowering cannabis plant reaches its full flowering stride, that the plant isn't going to get any bigger. That one did - it might have been three inches tall after the... accident.

As AKGramma stated:

Even assuming that a plant is capable of revegging, I would assume that it needs to have a ready supply of nitrogen (/calcium/etc.). Therefore, if I was going to attempt such an experiment, I'd feed it well with a nutrient ratio tailored for this purpose, a couple of days before I tried to initiate the regrowth (and I'd have prepared things by making sure that the light schedule was only at 12:12 for at least ten days prior to doing so, and then switch to either constant light or 20:4). And I would leave as much "greenery" as possible on the plant when I cut the buds off of it https://420.com/. I couldn't even begin to guess whether it would be better to leave some buds or to remove all of them. I know that I see more roses when I remove the ones that are already there, and the same seems to hold true for my peppers. But I'm trying to get more flowers/fruit, whereas you're trying to reveg the plant.

Whatever you decide... And, again, if it was me doing the expriment (as in all things, YMMV, lol), I'd probably not wait too long to harvest those buds before attempting the reveg.
When I first started growing last year I used photoperiod seeds as thats what was gifted to me.

I live in a state where I'm allowed to grow 4 plants for home use.

I smoke about 1/8 a week and mainly consume my own supply.

If I grow 4 autoflower plants (assuming I do a decent job) what kind of yields should I realistically expect as a noob to autoflowers? I basically don't want to put myself in a situation where I have a bad harvest from the autos, and not enough to last me 5 months till new photoperiod plants are ready.

Also, beyond not needing to switch the light schedule, are there any other big differences / considerations in growing autos vs photoperiod plants?

When I first started growing last year I used photoperiod seeds as thats what was gifted to me.

I live in a state where I'm allowed to grow 4 plants for home use.

I smoke about 1/8 a week and mainly consume my own supply.

If I grow 4 autoflower plants (assuming I do a decent job) what kind of yields should I realistically expect as a noob to autoflowers? I basically don't want to put myself in a situation where I have a bad harvest from the autos, and not enough to last me 5 months till new photoperiod plants are ready.

Also, beyond not needing to switch the light schedule, are there any other big differences / considerations in growing autos vs photoperiod plants?

@nickwiley welcome to the forum :welcome:

this is an old thread whose members haven't been exactly active in a while. why not pop over to the introduction section and let us know who you are. you can tell us a little about yourself and your plan for the grow.

you can get a lot more info and advice starting there.

there really isn't a set answer to your question. a lot will depend on your planning and environment. proper lighting, nutrition, ventilation, all need to be considered. then there is the choice of genetics.

there are a few things to watch out for.

the failure rate for autos for most first timers is far higher than photos. autos run on their schedule, not yours. some growers can't react fast enough when encountering problems.

they can stunt and trigger on minor stressors and wind up with smaller yields.

their nutritional needs are usually a bit different as well, they feed less and are far more sensitive to deficiencies and excess.

they are an option if you have a little experience and are confident you can react to any curveball they might throw.

@nickwiley welcome to the forum :welcome:

this is an old thread whose members haven't been exactly active in a while. why not pop over to the introduction section and let us know who you are. you can tell us a little about yourself and your plan for the grow.

you can get a lot more info and advice starting there.

there really isn't a set answer to your question. a lot will depend on your planning and environment. proper lighting, nutrition, ventilation, all need to be considered. then there is the choice of genetics.

there are a few things to watch out for.

the failure rate for autos for most first timers is far higher than photos. autos run on their schedule, not yours. some growers can't react fast enough when encountering problems.

they can stunt and trigger on minor stressors and wind up with smaller yields.

their nutritional needs are usually a bit different as well, they feed less and are far more sensitive to deficiencies and excess.

they are an option if you have a little experience and are confident you can react to any curveball they might throw.
Hi bluter, ran into old thread of yours regarding switching from hps to led . After hps (and having to screw SSE) for 30+yrs plus good watermelon og yield this time I’m finally ready to make switch ! I’m also getting too fuckin old to play games with leccy company when I move house this year lol !
So anyway ; Question - will 300 +/- quid get me good enough led set up to replace 600/1000w hps ?
I appreciate that it takes ,apparently, a fair bit of trial and error to suss out the differences in power etc. Could I be a bit cheeky and cut out the trial and error bit , (as I imagine you have already done that shit), and ask for couple recommendations please ?? Cheers man 🤘

Hi bluter, ran into old thread of yours regarding switching from hps to led . After hps (and having to screw SSE) for 30+yrs plus good watermelon og yield this time I’m finally ready to make switch ! I’m also getting too fuckin old to play games with leccy company when I move house this year lol !
So anyway ; Question - will 300 +/- quid get me good enough led set up to replace 600/1000w hps ?
I appreciate that it takes ,apparently, a fair bit of trial and error to suss out the differences in power etc. Could I be a bit cheeky and cut out the trial and error bit , (as I imagine you have already done that shit), and ask for couple recommendations please ?? Cheers man 🤘

european market is quite a bit different, but i'd say you've got a decent budget depending on the area you want to cover.

how much area are you covering and what brands do you have readily accessible ?
just saw this on eBay but I have not got the knowledge to translate led watts to hps watts. So don’t have a clue if it’s any good or not….
Have one area that is L-160cm W-70cm H-200cm and the other is L-200cm W-160cm H-200cm ( this space however is triangular,or ‘attic shaped’ lol

BF94CA3B-09F1-4781-BA5C-E935F6D63469.png

just saw this on eBay but I have not got the knowledge to translate led watts to hps watts. So don’t have a clue if it’s any good or not….
Have one area that is L-160cm W-70cm H-200cm and the other is L-200cm W-160cm H-200cm ( this space however is triangular,or ‘attic shaped’ lol

BF94CA3B-09F1-4781-BA5C-E935F6D63469.png
Btw that one is £180

Btw that one is £180
not bad for a budget but i'd stay away. it's claiming far more than it can do for far less than what a real rig will.

look for a strip rig and not a platter. anyone selling a platter is trying to move old crappy stock. 281 lm's aren't a bad emitter, but there's better emitters now. also look for mean well drivers or something a touch more equivalent.

edit : go through the board for a discount too. check to see what the sponsors have in your country first.

Cheers bluter, took break for few days man - was originally going to go with hype and grab a mars hydro 600 but market getting cheaper as the tech getting more stolen by our little wide eyed ‘friends’ ! It really necessitates knowing exactly how the new tech works to find mid range good (and at the moment looking like) 2nd hand bars on eBay 🇬🇧, think postage from US would negate any savings made so , if u don’t mind, could I look on eBay again and see if I can find a couple, post on here and ask ur opinion please ?

Back
Top Bottom