Is My Carbon Filter Working Properly?

BrixNewb

Ok guys, I have a Phresh 400 CFM carbon filter attached to a 420 CFM CanFan that only gets run about half speed. The thing is that the filtered air has an odd smell that I would describe as yeasty with a fruity hint. Is this normal? I am wondering if perhaps my ducting has holes and is drawing in unfiltered air.

So what does your filtered air smell like?

My filtered air smells like nothing.

420 CFM fan is a bit big for the 400CFM filter. So never run that full tilt. If you over run the filter capacity it isn't working.

My filtered air smells like nothing.

420 CFM fan is a bit big for the 400CFM filter. So never run that full tilt. If you over run the filter capacity it isn't working.

Nope, CanFan has three settings, I run it on the lower two, but regardless of the speed, the air smells the same.

If your filtered air smells like nothing I am thinking I am maybe picking up scent from holes in the ducting. I have new ducting so I think I will work on swapping everything out.

Where is your fan in the set up. List the whole fan,duct,light,filter organization.

At the end.

Carbon Filter>Aircooled Reflector>Fan

Filter was bought brand new and has only been used for this one run, going on 3 months now.

The order of your items is wrong creating the problem. The air is getting in from the reflector. You want the fan to push filtered air through the reflector not pull so there is positive air pressure in the hood so that the filtered air is getting pushed out of those gaps. By sucking through you have negative air pressure in the reflector which is not air tight and there will be leaks.

I wasn't saying you are running it too fast. I was just warning you that the setup is not optimal and it is possible that if you get stoned you might put it on a setting at some point when you are not paying attention that causes it to not work. It is not an issue just a warning. Also pulling too much through can damage the filter and the fan since the motor is pulling through too small of an orifice.

None of that is problematic just the set up is miscalculated so you can unintentionally break stuff.

:goodluck:

:peace:

The order of your items is wrong creating the problem. The air is getting in from the reflector. You want the fan to push filtered air through the reflector not pull so there is positive air pressure in the hood so that the filtered air is getting pushed out of those gaps. By sucking through you have negative air pressure in the reflector which is not air tight and there will be leaks.

I wasn't saying you are running it too fast. I was just warning you that the setup is not optimal and it is possible that if you get stoned you might put it on a setting at some point when you are not paying attention that causes it to not work. It is not an issue just a warning. Also pulling too much through can damage the filter and the fan since the motor is pulling through too small of an orifice.

None of that is problematic just the set up is miscalculated so you can unintentionally break stuff.

:goodluck:

:peace:
I am running a Blockbuster hood which has a pretty good seal, so I was under the impression that it was air tight. I could try it the other way around but it will take some rearranging.

there could be other points of failure but the concept I am explaining will fix them all. There are many bad videos online about how to set this up wrong. this is a common mistake bro no big deal.

What I am pointing out will fix them all...

If you direct attach the fan to the filter good then it is pushing clean air around. Any gaps downstream from this will have positive pressure from clean air so any leaks will leak good air wherever they are.

:thumb:

And good...even great seals will eventually wear out even if they are just in a Hot Dry environment constantly going real hot then real cold every 12 hours.

:bong:

Appreciate the help. I have rearranged the tent as you have suggested and we will see. Initial results are smelling too promising, but I want to give it at least 24 hours and check again.

If the filter is working correctly this should fix the problem. Sometimes also the carbon in a filter may settle somewhat. It may pay to open her up and brace the top carbon with closed cell foam. This keeps the filter tightly packed and the closed cell foam acts like a gasket, preventing flow where there is a lack of carbon.

If it is light enough to shake it in a quiet room this may tell you. But if it has only settled a little bit it may not make noise.

I run two filters. One in the grow room just "pre-treating" the air. It also provides air circulation over the canopy. The other filter is outside the grow and a fan pulls the air through the lights and out the filter.

If I can't get this shit straight I will just slap the carbon filter on the very end of the exhaust and vent it to the grow room.

So I tried the way Villageidiot suggested and was still getting the same scent. So I did some brainstorming and decided to try something a little unorthodox at the cost of having to cool the room containing the tent a little more. I took the carbon filter and fan completely out the tent. In the tent I have the Blockbuster reflector with a filter on one end and the hose leading to the fan which pulls air from the reflector. Then on the other end of the fan we have the carbon filter with air being pushed through it. This eliminated the smell but is now pushing (slightly) warm air into the room containing the tent. No big deal, I am able to cool the space no problem. This is only temporary, but for now it works.

Back
Top Bottom