Is my cure ruined? Let dry too long

One thing I’ve tried in the past is I vacuumed them just to the point where the bag got nice and snug and then hit the manual seal button. If you just let the machine run then you’ll end up with a brick :laughtwo:

I do find out the bags lose their seal overtime and less handled with a lot of care. Or maybe I just need to buy a way more expensive set up

For longer term storage it would be nice to get rid of the oxygen. O2 is actually pretty destructive stuff in lots of ways. If I could find a way to make my mason jar vac seal attachment work on gallon jars I’d probably use it. I wonder if buds would keep their colour for years instead of turning brown?

The oldest bud I have in my stash happens to be - Blueberry ha ha. 2013 I think? I haven’t checked it in quite a while,
I’m curious if these oxygen absorbers would work for long term storage, you can get 100 for 10 bucks on amazon.

Attachments

• 3D51390F-E6A4-4757-9C33-3F32468C832C.jpeg
    3D51390F-E6A4-4757-9C33-3F32468C832C.jpeg
    527 KB · Views: 62
I’m curious if these oxygen absorbers would work for long term storage, you can get 100 for 10 bucks on amazon.
They work. Vacuum pack them after you open them.
One thing I’ve tried in the past is I vacuumed them just to the point where the bag got nice and snug and then hit the manual seal button. If you just let the machine run then you’ll end up with a brick :laughtwo:
Yeah, I tried both those ways as well.
I do find out the bags lose their seal overtime and less handled with a lot of care. Or maybe I just need to buy a way more expensive set up
Another type of storage (and gifting) I am trying is sealing mylar with my special heating clamp....mylar has zero permeability and is opaque. I get the 5g bags and cut them down smaller (and just seal the edges)....allows me to make pretty much any size bag I want.

Looks worth a try hey? A quick Google and it looks like they just contain finely ground iron. The o2 bonds with the iron to to make iron oxide aka rust, removing it from the jar (hopefully)

Looks worth a try hey? A quick Google and it looks like they just contain finely ground iron. The o2 bonds with the iron to to make iron oxide aka rust, removing it from the jar (hopefully)
Often used in long term food storage, so should be fine for cannabis.

Personally I’d just rehydrate it, or at least some of it -if you’re going to use the rest for edibles, and put in the jars to cure normally. I personally haven’t noticed any problems over the years curing bud that got over-dried then rehydrated before curing. To me it seems perfectly good, fragrant and well cured.
At any given time I’ve got many gallons on the shelves, some of which I know got over dried a bit in the drier. I think it would be noticeable if I had gallon jars of weed that are totally uncured? It is possible that the overdried/rehydrated stuff isn’t quite as good and it just goes unnoticed though.

The idea that bud dried beyond 55% RH cannot be cured, is one of those things that gets repeated often online. Is there anything much in the way of factual info to support the idea? Seems pretty sparse- almost nonexistent. Not that it couldn’t be true, of course- but it also might be another one of those weed-forum myths? Not like there aren’t a few of those going around...

Do all dried herbs have to stay above 55% RH at all times or they’re ruined? I haven’t noticed it. I’m pretty sure that’s not how most producers operate. Tobacconists have no issues rehydrating cigars and tobacco as long as it hasn’t crumbled. My tea is fine in its box. My garden herbs seem great without a big fuss over curing, humidity packs, ‘burping’, etc.
Mostly it seems that oxidization is the main cause of quality loss, which is why it’s good to keep things jarred or packaged.
This is the most sensible comment on the subject of drying/curing and RH.

Back
Top Bottom