Jack Herer - Indoor - Soil

Leroy Jenkem

Strain: Jack Herer, feminized, Vision Seeds
Sativa/Indica: 90/10
Soil: 50% perlite, 25% manure, 25% M.G. organic (I know, its old)
Container: small styrafoam cup, will move up to 5 gallon bucket
Lighting: Sun System 150w HPS, a couple of 23w 5500k CFLs to help with stretch
Fertilizers: Alaskan brand ferts
Temperatures: 65-75 F
RH: 45-50%
Running 18/6 currently

This is not my first grow. Did a couple of auto white widows last year under CFLs with mixed results and last summer grew a couple of Jack Herers outside with great results.

The growing space is a closet up stairs. It has mediocre insulation so heat will be an issue July through September and cold January and February. I have no ventilation in the closet as of yet just a oscillating fan. Wanting to have something going around the end of the month. The temps don't get to crazy in here but to hot for a plant. About 90-95F last year. Ended up having to chop one of my widows early cause I wasn't ready for it. I guess I need some advice on how much ventilation I might need. I planned on making an intake vent from the interior room which is climate controlled, 70s year round and the exhaust through an attic access door then over to the gable vent. The room is 180 cubic feet. I was thinking a 240 cfm duct fan pulling through a carbon scrubber at a 20% lose would allow me to replace all the air in the room once a minute? Does that sound right? Should I shoot for the air being replace more often? In the "how to" on this site is says to shoot for 5 times but that just seems like a lot for such low wattage.

I am also looking for some suggestions for some kind of micro nutrient fertilizer I can work in with these Alaskan brand fertilizers.

Plant broke ground today. Will take a picture tomorrow, not like there is much to see at this point any way. Any advice us greatly appreciated.

I have all those heat issues in the attic and then some. The way I do it is pull air from outdoors in the early morning so the plants get their co2 to grow.. Timer then kicks in a 1kcfm fan on a controller that pulls air from the house on up into the attic. You have to make the room separate but not air tight from the rest of the structure.. Trick is to get enough air in that room to create a sort of bubble. You may need much higher cfm in the summer to keep that bubble- one of those 18-20" industrial fans from walmart works good if you can cut out a bracket for it.. Just make sure it's metal and not plastic fins- those will last.

Air conditioning could be last resort, but remember the heat has to go somewhere and it's really not power friendly. Expect one hell of a power bill. Fans can do the job though if you take the time to figure out how much air you need to move for the size of the bubble. The side effects of such high cfm is the air has to be sucked from somewhere- that means when you open doors to the outside you'll have a fight :) Another thing is if you have a indoor water heater- that might decide to vent into your home instead of out to the roof. The air comes from anywhere it can, even the vent over your stove, water heater, chimney, ect..

The carbon filter is something you can hold off until flower.. Vent the room out through the roof or outside if possible and you'll be fine with smells till then. Trick really is keeping airflow in that room, create the bubble if needed, then stick the cans in later during flower. Your nose will tell you :thumb:

You can add carbon to the intake of your home ac unit too if you wanted to be really anal about it.

Like I said not much to look at but got to start somewhere. I guess its good to have baby photos.

WP_20140306_001.jpg

WP_20140306_002.jpg

On a side note does anyone know why photos taken under hps lights look like there taken through window shutters?

WP_20140310_010.jpg

Day 5. Seedlings aren't very exciting but this one seems to be growing at a pretty good pace. Second set of real leaves have emerged, although, they still remain small. The temperatures are staying lower so I have been able to keep the light about 8" away. She got a little stretchy at first. I really thought I would have to keep the light further away.

I plan on painting the room tomorrow and taking some more measurements. Decided on making my own scrubber via some plans I found on this site but still haven't decide on fan size yet.

WP_20140325_0101.jpg

Start of day 21. Transplanted 3 days ago. Got shocked a little. First set of leaves (round ones) and the first set of true leaves yellowed plant showed no growth until today. Looks like she perked right back up, true leaves are green again and I removed first set of leaves because they just shriveled up.

She has the 6th node coming out now. Still pretty short. I didn't expect to get such tight internode spacing but I am. Guess we will see when she starts to flower. I plan on flipping to 12/12 next Wednesday.

Ordered a 240 cfm inline duct fan and a scrubber. I'm cheap so I opted for the free shipping so I have a little while tell I see them. My diy scrubber turned out a little crappier then I wanted so opted to buy one.

No side branching development to speak of yet, she is going to be a tall lanky one. Can't wait to see. I guess I have some concerns as to whether I should have topped or LST since I'm using lower wattage but I told myself I was just going to grow this one out.

Are you restricted in height or how come you start to flower so early?

Sort of. With the pot size I have it in now it could get in the 3'-4' range pretty comfortably. I guess one concern I have with lower wattage is how deep can it penetrate and the other is that I grew this same strain outdoors last year and one of them was about 12', so that has me a little intimidated indoors at least. I really love this strain and want to grow it for awhile so I am trying to get know her so I can get a good plan.

WP_20140402_001.jpg

So its the end of day 27 for her. My vent fan and scrubber should actually come sometime today so I decided to put off flipping 12/12 tell I get it going, hopefully by the weekend.

She's growing good. Think I over fertilized a bit because I got a few burnt tips nothing crazy looking or clawing so I'll go a little easier next time. Finally got a few side branches coming out on the 7th and 8th node.

I'll update again when I get the fan going.

WP_20140407_001.jpg
WP_20140407_0021.jpg

Day 33. This will be the first day of 12/12. She is at 11" so I think I'll still be okay for containing the stretch.

Ventilation it louder then I wanted. It also seems like it is moving more then 240 cfm. Probably going to buy a fan speed controller should be able to reduce the sound volume.

WP_20140414_014.jpg
WP_20140414_017.jpg

Beginning of day 41. Really took 3 days after the 12/12 switch for fast growth and preflowers to show. Went from 11" to 15.5" since last update. Lots of side branches developing. Had to remove some more lower leaves. Looks pretty good so far. I'm gonna try to figure out a way to get some good pics in the room.

WP_20140421_008.jpg

Beginning of day 49. Day 15 since flowering induced.

Had a little bit of a scare. Temps have been in the high 70s and lows in the 50s at night so I haven't had the heat on. We had a freak night that dropped to the high 20s. Needless to say grow room temps dropped down to 47. Plant got really droopy and no growth that grow day. The next day she perked up but still no growth. Third day she started back up. Up to a little over 20". I figure she will top out between 30-36".

Yeah I was gonna post some more pictures tomorrow somtime. I don't like taking them with the hps on so got to catch her right after lights off or coming on. Her stretch ended about two days ago, 27". White hairs are coming out at all bud sights and you can definitely tell that she has switch her focus to bud development. I think the next couple of weeks will be the most exciting.

WP_20140428_003.jpg
WP_20140428_005.jpg
WP_20140428_002.jpg

Day 56, flowering day 22.

Got one lonely 11 blade leaf the rest are all 10s and below. Seems to be going pretty well so far in the grow. Going to greatly reduce nitrogen to next to none for the rest of the grow.

Nice plant looking good. I'm new on here and really confused about the layout of the site but i just wanted to say whats up and ill definitely keep checking the progress on this girl

Thanks.

My suggestion is to start by going through "how to grow marijuana" section first. There is tons of good info on here. I really haven't been all the way through this site yet either. Big and pretty busy.

Oh I know how to grow, I'm not a pro but I've done a handful of small grows here and there. I actually just started a journal for my current grow you should check it out if you get a chance. and yea there's just a lot of tabs, that have a lot of side tabs, and I was confused with how to make i thread but i got that situated haha. thanks for the reply

WP_20140505_007.jpg
WP_20140505_005.jpg
WP_20140505_003.jpg

Day 63, flowering 29.

Still slowly growing up. A little under 32". Bud sights are slowly starting to get bigger. Temperatures still seem to be staying good. Outside temperatures have gotten in the mid to high 80s. Staying in the mid to high 70s in the actual room that was my main concern with grow location. Bottom leaves are yellowing. Not real concerned about that.

Back
Top Bottom