Jay's Noob Organic Soil Grow: Green Crack, White Widow, The Purp

Oops missed a close up of the GC...

20200919_184900.jpg

Sept 29, 2020 (Flower Day 33 - Week 4)
Lights
Type: Mars Hydro TS 3000W
Light Schedule: 12/12
Distance from Lights: 18" (I keep raising the lights too keep this distance constant)
Par: Avg 500 (edges) and 940 (center) μmol/s/m2

Watering
I’m watering with a blumat gravity fed system. Now that I'm running the dehumidifier full time outside of the tent I've started using this for my reservoir with no pH adjustment. The blumat’s reservoir is topped off 1 1/3 gallon daily.

Environment
Temperature: 25C Day Cycle / 20C Night Cycle
Relative Humidity: 50% pretty steadily

Soil/Nutrients
Last top dressed each plant with 1.25 cups of Gaia Green 2-8-4 on Sept 1. With all the compost and worm castings in there I don’t think I’ll need to add anything else other than water.

Dates
Seed Drop: June 22, 2020
Veg Start: June 28, 2020
Flower Start Date: Aug 28, 2020 (VEG DAY 62)

Updates
I think the Purp is lacking water as the bottom set of leaves and stems are pointing down (if the stems were pointing up then I’d be worried about the blumats somehow providing too much water). I put a moisture meter down into the soil and the moisture drops right off at 4” or so. Today I watered in to address the issue. I also also watered in a bit of NPK Raw Soluble Bloom Microbes in case the previous batch dried up. I’ll now wait 3 hours and adjust the blumats. The other two plants look fine, but I’ll double check with a moisture meter to be sure.

The Purp
20200929_212113 - The Purp.jpg

20200929_212139_The_Purp.jpg

Green Crack
20200929_212159_GC.jpg

White Widow
20200929_212207_WW.jpg

All 3 (The Purp out front, the GC in the back left and the WW in the back right. The CG and Purp are propped up about 5 inches, otherwise the WW would be towering over all of them)
20200929_212103.jpg

That's it for this week. Sending positive energy your way. :Namaste:

Oct 5, 2020 (Flower Day 39 - Week 5)

Lights
Distance from Lights: 18" (I keep raising the lights too keep this distance constant)

Watering
I’m watering with a blumat gravity fed system. Now that I'm running the dehumidifier full time outside of the tent I've started using this for my reservoir with no pH adjustment. The blumat’s reservoir is topped off 1 1/3 gallon daily.

Environment
Temperature: 26C Day Cycle / 20C Night Cycle

Soil/Nutrients
Last top dressed each plant with 1.25 cups of Gaia Green 2-8-4 on Sept 1. With all the compost and worm castings in there I don’t think I’ll need to add anything else other than water.

Dates

Updates
I think the stretch is done for the Purp and GC, but WW put on some more height this week. The Purp is a bit unhappy with the heat/light and is tacoing a bit. In fact I think everything may be foxtailing as well. I may try to turn down the lights a little.

The Purp
20201005_214816.jpg

20201005_214640.jpg

Green Crack
20201005_214823.jpg

White Widow
20201005_214833.jpg

All 3 (The Purp out front, the GC in the back left and the WW in the back right. The CG and Purp are propped up about 5 inches, otherwise the WW would be towering over all of them).
20201005_214804.jpg

That's it for this week. Peace. :peace:

Oct 6, 2020 (Flower Day 40 - Week 5)

Update:
A deficiency showed up literally overnight. I thought I’d get in there and raise the lights to help with some of the tacoing and foxtailing and I noticed that GC is showing what appears to be a calcium deficiency.

There are two things that have changed lately:
  1. GC had grown closer to the light… the only leaves affected are those under the light, so perhaps it’s heat/light stress.
  2. I switched to distilled dehumidifier water and allowed the pH to swing up to 6.8. I don’t think the pH swing alone would cause this -- but perhaps my soil is lacking calcium and the tap water was just enough to make up for it. Although it seems odd that this would only affect the leaves under the light (unless perhaps the leaves would be trying to draw up more calcium for some reason?).
I may never know which of these problems it was as I raised the lights back up to the 18” buffer and watered all of the plants with a total of 2 gallons of distilled water and mixed with Sensi cal-mag xtra at the recommended dose and bud juice at ¼ of the recommended dose. I also added in about 10 ml of humax, 1 tbsp alfalfa meal and 1 tbsp kelp meal. This is just my broad-spectrum solution that seems to resolve most common deficiency issues I encounter. If it were early in the grow I might just wait and see if the plant could work it’s way out of it, but we’re 2 days away from week 6 of flower. If you’ll recall GC is a 9-10 week strain, so I could very well have 4 more weeks to go yet… in two more weeks I’ll start letting the small stuff go and expect to see end-of-life symptoms.

I also turned off the dehumidifier which was causing a lot of heat. We’ll see how the relative humidity does without it… anything over 50% at this point makes me nervous.

For the rest of the grow I will use plain tap water bubbled for 24 hours pH’d down to 6.5, just like the majority of this grow where things were going great.

Well, all in all I’ve kept this grow mostly organic (would have preferred to have had the appropriate biology life, bone meal and lime instead of needing Sensi cal-mag xtra, but oh well -- next time). I think I’m going to stick with this organic thing. In fact next grow I may go all in with a no-till organic setup. I already purchased a grow bag that will take up my 4x4 very nicely.

The Unhappy GC
20201006_200111.jpg

Oct 14, 2020 (Flower Day 48 - Week 6)

Lights
Distance from Lights: 18”

Watering
I’m watering with a blumat gravity fed system. Before adding the water I allow it to bubble for 24 hours to off-gas any chlorine and I adjust the water down to 6.5 pH.

Environment
Temperature: 25C Day Cycle / 22C Night Cycle

Soil/Nutrients

Dates
Oct 29 (Projected) - Harvest (Week 7) The Purp
Nov 5 (Projected) - Harvest (Week 8) White Widow
Nov 19 (Projected) - Harvest (Week 9 - 10) Green Crack

Updates
Everything looks okay to me this week. The plants seem to have recovered from the calcium deficiency that showed up last week. My water reservoir keeps climbing up over 1 full point from 6.5 to 7.5 daily which is a bit annoying as it takes a lot of vinegar to bring down 10 gallons of water from 7.5 to 6.5. I can’t wait until the next grow when I completely throw pH out the window and rely on the soil biology to do the work.

I have to be careful around this time of the grow as I usually start losing interest and becoming complacent with small issues. Maybe it’s because the changes each week are so subtle? Maybe it’s just a feeling of wanting to move on the next fun thing. Maybe it’s because it’s NORMAL to see deficiencies as the plant matures to end-of-life! Maybe it’s because when I open the tent my entire house smells wonderful to me, but always draws “comments” from family and friends -- not disapproving, but annoying :)

Speaking of which I think The Purp is close to ready for harvest. Technically tomorrow will be week 7 which is when it’s due (although I’ve heard contrary reports that the flowering cycle breeders refer to is days since the buds started developing, not the day of 12/12 flip). I’ll just keep an eye on them and expect to harvest sometime before Halloween.
Well, I almost don't know if I should bother with the time lapse as very little has changed. Oh, well, here it is nonetheless.

The Purp
She's close!! I will definitely pick her in the next two weeks.
20201014_135205.jpg

20201014_135251.jpg

GC
This one looks ahead of schedule to me (looks sooner than Nov 19 or 4.5 weeks from now).
20201014_135316.jpg

WW
Looks like it's a LONG ways off (supposed to be ready in 3 weeks or Nov 5 -- I just can see it finishing that quickly. But maybe I'm relying to heavily on the pistols browning as an early indicator). I thought maybe I got the flowering periods between the GC and WW reversed, but no I haven't. Based on the plant's structures the WW is built exactly like the other WW I grew (low flower to leaf ratio). Either it's something specific to this phenome, or the WW is going to mature very quickly. Next week I'll be sure to take a look at the trichomes closer (maybe I'll start doing closeups of the trichome instead of time lapses from now on).
20201014_135325.jpg

Edit: Group Picture Update!
20201014_135156.jpg

Peace all. Hope you and yours are happy and well. :Rasta:

Oct 22, 2020 (Flower Day 56 - Week 7)

Lights
Distance from Lights: 18”

Watering
I’m watering with a blumat gravity fed system. Before adding the water I allow it to bubble for 24 hours to off-gas any chlorine and I adjust the water down to 6.5 pH.

Environment
Temperature: 25C Day Cycle / 22C Night Cycle
Relative Humidity:40%- 50%

Soil/Nutrients

Dates
Oct 29 - Harvest (Week 7) The Purp
Nov 5 - Harvest (Week 8) White Widow
Nov 19 - Harvest (Week 9 - 10) Green Crack

Updates

I’m not sure what happened, but my blumat system “failed” this week. One of the watering devices ran constantly and dropped 10 gallons of water on the Green Crack and obviously it eventually made its way to the bottom of my tent. That was a mess! Goes to show how important it is to check on the plants daily… not a big deal with a reservoir, but if it was plumbed into my house it could have been disastrous!

Anyway, I discovered the issue within 12 hours and within 24 hours had it cleaned up. I parked the dehumidifier back in the tent for a few days to dry out any areas I couldn’t reach. That meant my temps were in the low 30s and humidity around 30% for a few days. This may affect yield, but I really didn’t want to risk mildew/mold at this point in the grow -- we’re almost at the finish line!

The Purp is turning a bit purple… not quite as intensely as I had hoped, but it’s definitely there!

The Purp
The Purp is a 7 week plant. She’s showing her end-of-life signs. I see a mix of clear, cloudy and brown trichomes so I think I'll pull her next week. I prefer a more relaxed high over a racy one (which is why my original goal was to pull her Oct 29), so I usually run my plants just a bit longer than most folks. I think this plant will be my lowest yielder -- but I have to say she was the most tolerant of all 3 plants. I'd say this one is a great candidate for beginners -- quick finisher and fairly tolerant. I made a clone of this plant early on, put it into flower and pollinated with some pollen I collected from a male Purp on my previous grow. That clone is in a different tent in my garage. It's probably closer to a month away from harvest, though.
20201022_154922.jpg

20201022_154820.jpg

Capture.PNG

GC
The GC looks like it's finishing up WAY faster than expected. I think this will be my second highest yielder. It's been showing some light stress. The leaves directly under the lights are "rusting" on the edges pretty badly, but not on the outer leaves or those that are shaded. I'll get a sugar leaf under the microscope when I harvest The Purp and make a game-time decision on whether to pull her too.
20201022_154933.jpg

20201022_154943.jpg

WW
The WW is the biggest and baddest of the bunch and doesn't show any sign of stopping any time soon. The strange part is the trichomes look fairly cloudy in spots. The maturity of the trichomes stand in contrast to the very green leaves and white pistols. Maybe she'll be ready sooner than I think?
20201022_155002.jpg

20201022_155043.jpg

All 3
The Purp's out front, the GC in the back left and the WW in the back right.

Well I'm glad I have clones of all 3 of these plants because none of them have disappointed. I'll wait for a smoke test to decide which clones I'll keep around and which I'll cull. I'll probably do some root pruning on each clone to keep them nice and small until I decide.

Well here's a shot of all 3. It may be the last pic of all 3 together depending on when I pull The Purp.

20201022_155113.jpg

Peace guys. I wish you all the best in your lives and growing journeys. :)

November 29, 2020

I haven't given up on the journal... just not much to show yet.

The Purp - Complete
Nov 2 (Flower Day 68 - Week 9) -- I pulled The Purp. The Purp was supposed to be a 7 week plant, so I think this is right on schedule (I think breeders usually count weeks since the plant shows flowering signs which usually takes 2 weeks or so).

I dried this in a tent with regulated temperature and humidity of 20C and 50% RH for about a week. At which point I trimmed and put it into bottles. Yield was a modest 90g well trimmed. Lots of sugar on the leaves. I'm happy with this one!

I tried it out today and it needs more curing. Quite smoky. But wow, it packs a punch. I vaped my usual amount of weed and a single puff hit instantly. This is definitely the most amount of sugar I've ever grown (out of maybe 20 varieties). This one is a keeper -- really glad I gave a clone to my dad and used a second clone to make seeds.

My only regret was that I was looking for more purple visually. I think this one needs a different name. Perhaps "Sugar Rush"?

The Purp Bud Shot.jpg

WW - Drying
To be updated one trimming is done. I pulled this on Nov 17 (Flower Day 83 - Week 11) and hung it in a tent with regulated temperature and humidity of 20C and 50% RH. It's still in there as I usually trim with a friend, but given the Covid situation that won't be happening any time soon. This was an 8 week plant and I pulled it 1 day shy of 12 weeks. So it was a about 2 weeks over the target date given the aforementioned extra 2 weeks breeders take off of their targets.

GC - Drying

Also to be updated once trimming is done. I pulled the GC on Nov 23 (Flower Day 89 - Week 12). The trichomes on this were developing at an odd rate -- with a 33% clear, 33% cloudy, and 33% brown ratio. With a target date of 9-10 weeks I was pretty close to the breeders recommendation.

I'll have one more update in this journal once I've trimmed and jarred these and can report on yield (although that may take a few months... I'm in no hurry).

I think this may be my last journal -- doesn't seem to be much interest out there.

Peace all! :volcano-smiley:

White Widow - Final
This one produced 5.5oz (154g) in total (trimmed as seen below). The outside isn’t obviously sugary, but when you put on the camera flash they certainly pop. I wish I had turned on the flash for The Purp… the picture above (previous post) is without flash and completely dominates the WW in terms of appearance..

The high is exactly how I remember WW, “Good Night!!!”

Sleepy it is. Stronger than the last time I grew it for sure, but at the end of the day I don’t see hitting it a lot other than one hit before bed because I’ll be tapping out.

xUotwsoSbi9629xF0fGoZjH0Mu66s7DpgAgIppOfEZZY4kp02F.jpg
peCohDUPQ5g0uVv7vUS2kbwKVDtdJABG-KN5QrgKLtIexRkDFw.jpg
zvIzpj9hnLv11I93uKpKhb9GWXsSq7ZhbA0q-W-m9AsCSDgdjh.jpg

Very well written. I'm on my first grow now, trying to research as much as possible, and it's detailed grow journals like these, with problems and remedies, mistakes and good things, that help out the noobs, like me. Thanks for the detail and taking the time to write it all down.
I've been wanting to try white widow for awhile. You find that it just puts you to sleep? I'm just trying to decide if I'd want to grow it in the future.

Back
Top Bottom