Just began the flowering stage and it's not going too well - Advice is most needed

Re: Just began the flowering stage and it's not going too well - Advice is most neede

hi sorry to post here .im still working out how 2.need some help please im a newbie and started my first grow with a 10 by 10 by 10 tent with 3 600s and a 1200led and a 150cfl.i have intake fan 10 inch and a exurst fan 12inch and 2 circle fans.i have 20 plants in tent veged for 8 weeks then turned down to flower 25 days in flower i tryed to do a scrog but when i turned down lights thay just keeped on growing up.eny help would be excellent my buds look to small for 25 days flower i dont no wot strain we have .stems have got exremelly long please look and eny advice would help this is my first grow thankyou in advance everone.
DSCN072210.jpg
DSCN07219.jpg
Temp? Humidity? A little late to try scrog but I'm no pro on that. Also you say turned down to flower, do you mean you decreased light power/intensity?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420

Re: Just began the flowering stage and it's not going too well - Advice is most neede

Wow. My first few grows were about the same size as yours in terms of lighting and space- I had 30-40 plants. I remember not having a clue what I was doing, lol! It was a hell of a lot of work and very stressful sometimes! But fun. Anyway- good job getting this far. :thumb:
They're probably almost done growing vertically. Slowing down anyway, I'm guessing?
I assume that they're sativas- they get tall like that.
They look good and healthy. And the size of the buds is ok for 25 days if they're sativas.
You just have a bunch of training to do. IMO- It's not too late to do some version of a scrog to get the canopy more level.

thankyou for your help yea i turned lights down to 12/12.been 25 days in flower now

Well. It sounds like you want help- I'm assuming because they're so overgrown.

So -you can leave them as they are. It won't be a very efficient grow - yield will suffer- possibly mold might set in because it's too crowded, and it will always be a pain in the ass to work with.

Or leave them mostly alone height wise, but perhaps with some cleanup of the undergrowth and a bit of tidying up.

Or- you can do all of the above and also try to get the overall height as even as possible- which is what I would try to do. This gives you the most efficient use of your lighting, and gives you a much better growing environment.

I can only really answer - 'what would I do...?'
I would make some scrog screens in the form of metal fencing material. The kind I'm thinking of uses 1/8" steel wire in a square grid pattern. It's quite stiff, so it can be cut into a fairly large flat shape which is rigid but light weight. I have some fencing at my place laying around- various sizes of mesh. For this project I would use the stuff with 5-6" size squares. I would cut a few sections- sized appropriately to be manageable for you to handle, and also do the job of covering a tidy section of your grow (which I don't know the dimensions of). As an example- for a 4x4' grow area I would probably use one 4'x4' piece of fencing. That size is a bit awkward but I have long arms and my grow room isn't super cramped- so I could manage this size. Smaller - like 2'x4' would be easier. Even better is if you have a helper.

Find some ways to hang the screen. I would buy some small hooks which screw into the wall, and or/the ceiling. One each above where I want the corners of the screen to hang. I would buy a bunch of light duty chain. I got mine in the pet section of the dollar store. It won't be supporting much weight.
String can be used but chain is much much better as you can raise and lower chain by hooking it at whatever point you want.
I would get the screen setup and hanging above the plants - the lower it down into the jungle a bit at a time while pulling the branches through the squares. It may seem a bit stressful at first but they are very tough plants. Just be careful bending limbs too fast. If you break something you can splint it up. No need to get stressed.
I'd try to get it so most of the best looking branches are through the screen. About one good budding tip every 4" or so. It's not going to be that even though. You might have some limbs that are 20" through the screen and some that are 4". Anyway- lower the screen until it's level and looks like it has a fair number of good branches in it. Don't worry about getting them all in. I would expect -from those pictures- to be pruning out quite a lot of stuff that doesn't fit in the screen. A smaller number of buds will get more light and grow more than overcrowded plants will.
After the screen is in place I would do some tucking and arranging so that the branches are evenly spread around the screen. I use pipe cleaners to tie long branches down to the screen to get them the same hight as the other branches.
I'm assuming you would need several screens to fill your space.
Anyway- that's the basic concept of what I would do.
I scrog my plants and always set the screen in during early flowering. I can dig up some pics if you think you might go this route. They always look quite trashed after I've wrested them into the screen- but they bounce right back.
Right now it's past my bedtime and I don't have time to write this out more completely - but think about whether this info helps you at all. I realize its hard to make sense of what I'm saying - I'm tired and :lot-o-toke: I'll check this thread tomorrow ;)

thankyou so much this does help me heaps ill get on 2 it thankyou for your reply ill drop back in tmoz .

Alright- well I wandered back to see if what I wrote last night made any sense. I think you probably got the idea- the general idea being that it's not too late to scrog them. It's close to being late- but not too late. At around this age the plants stop growing- so when you wrestle them into a screen they don't straighten themselves out as well as they would have a couple weeks ago.
However, they will still be much better off scrogged now than they would be left as they are. If you put some time in you can tie them into quite a flat level surface which will grow nice happy buds.
FWIW- here is a link to a post in my first journal which (sort of) shows how I normally place the screen on at the start of flowering. I realize that your grow is bigger. It will be time well spent though if you can organize that grow better. A scrog is simply something to tie the plants to. There are other ways to tie them into the shapes you want but a screen seems handiest.

Oh No - It's A Green Hole! - Reverse Thrusters! - Dammit - Too Late!

Alright- well I wandered back to see if what I wrote last night made any sense. I think you probably got the idea- the general idea being that it's not too late to scrog them. It's close to being late- but not too late. At around this age the plants stop growing- so when you wrestle them into a screen they don't straighten themselves out as well as they would have a couple weeks ago.
However, they will still be much better off scrogged now than they would be left as they are. If you put some time in you can tie them into quite a flat level surface which will grow nice happy buds.
FWIW- here is a link to a post in my first journal which (sort of) shows how I normally place the screen on at the start of flowering. I realize that your grow is bigger. It will be time well spent though if you can organize that grow better. A scrog is simply something to tie the plants to. There are other ways to tie them into the shapes you want but a screen seems handiest.

Oh No - It's A Green Hole! - Reverse Thrusters! - Dammit - Too Late!

thanks so much for all your help ill get on to it rite now.should i take of some big fan leaves tolet more light in.hopeing for a good yield still wot you think

sorry weaselcacker wot strain you thinkit mite be and is all my lighting ok for this tent sorry all the quistion mate.still learning this is my first grow

No problem at all I'm happy to help. I'm not an expert grower so take all advice and help and use your best judgement.
There's no way really to guess the exact strain from looking at it- unless it was a very distinctive looking one. I'm guessing it is a sativa as opposed to an indica strain. You'd maybe have better luck finding out by doing the detective work in your end and trying to see where the seeds came from and figuring out the common strains in your area.
As for the lighting- I use 600 watt hps's to each cover an area 38" x 48". A 4x4 area is about the max you'd probably cover well with a 600. I can't speak for the LED because I don't use them.
So- assuming you leave room for working and walking around- your lighting should be OK to cover a fair amount of your 10 x 10 space.
They do look a bit under-lit maybe. Possibly the lights are too far away or you're trying to cover too much area per light. But you would be best to organize and flatten the plant canopy before doing much else, IMO. More efficient if you can get the lights at a more equal/optimum distance away from the buds.

ok thanks.should i take off some fan leaves to open it up a bit and all under the net lol. its in there or down there ishould say about 3 foot lol.

Oh you mean that there's a screen in there already? Sounds like it's too far down to tie to ... Or do you think it's still accessible and you could use strings and whatnot to tie the tallest limbs down to it?
Yes you should remove that lower shaded growth -but I would do it after evening out the canopy (if you are going to) so that you know better what you are working with.

thanks.yes there is a screen .lol.its 2 screens on 1 side and 1 on the other side.but every time i try bend 1 its so week thay break.there over the top of screens by 3 foot lol.thay just keeped on growing

I'm not there so I can't say what your plants are like to bend- but generally they will bend however you want - if you're careful.
I'm not sure what to say other than what I have said already- a bit of training and organizing will make you and the plants feel better. But your options are open as to what you want to do. You could grow them to harvest the way they are- it just won't be very efficient. And- depending on your humidity level- if mold ever gets a foothold in there- watch out.

thanks so much mate for all your help im going to try and thin it out a little and take some fan leaves off .ill post a pic tmoz and tankyou so much again.its so much fun. ilove it

You're most welcome to ask all the questions you like- that's what this place is about. :thumb:

Here is a link for how to make a journal. (A very good idea- you'll get lots of help that way)

How to Make a Grow Journal

Also- If you click on the tab up top called 'Grow Room'
( 420 Magazine ) and scroll down you'll find some great links- especially the one called 'how to grow marijuana' at the top. Lots and lots of great info in there. And check the FAQ link on that list as well.

Back
Top Bottom