Just Joined - Need some grow advice

Knightsmoke

Hello 420ers.

I just got a 400w Metal Halide fixture and have been running it for a while now with great results compared to former CF's. I've heard about fires caused when these bulbs burn out, Has anybody had any experiences or warnings?

Now I've got some plants vegging under the MH's but I've taken to just leaving them on while I'm home. 12 hours typically then I leave a 150W blue CF on them for the other 12. Whatev. Here's my question for the gurus.

Does the dark cycle on vegging plants (say on a 16-8 cycle) have to be completely dark like it has to when flowering? Will random ambient light during the OFF cycle cause the risk of hermies in vegging plants?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Hi Knightsmoke, :welcome: to the 420Magazine forum.
:thanks: for joining us. :grinjoint:
Some people don't believe in a dark period for the vegitative cycle.
I'm not one. 16/8 to 18/6 for me.
Hope that helps.
I'll see you in the forums.
:peace:

The dark cycle from my understanding during veg is that is when the plant spends time growing...so if you have your lights as close as possible you don't need a dark period...as for during the dark cycle if you run one, I'd say keep it dark...think of it as you sleeping...open your eyes and see some light screws with your sleeping pattern.

For vegging, the dark isn't that critical. Some run a 24/7 light cycle.

For flowering, that dark is VERY critical. MJ is dark sensitive and ANY light during the dark cycle is a no no.

Outside, even the light from a really bright full moon can delay flowering for a night or 2 till the moon wanes some.

Propa Gator (I like that, went to UF), is right about full moon or darker.

DD

as an electrician, I`ve never had experience with a MH catching on fire, I`ve seen some melted ballasts in my day but never a fire from a lamp that went out, peace!

I'm an "electrical guy" too. I noticed my MH/HPS fixture is only UL approved if it is used with a flat piece of tempered glass (i.e below the bulb) only when using a MH bulb. I heard a guy say once that a number of fires are caused by HID bulbs burning out and the molten plasma falling to the floor and igniting wood. So. that's why I'm nervous.

Somebody please tell me not to worry and smoke a fatty.

Re: MH Light fires

To answer my own question...ie google

A small fire at the Harvard University greenhouse was caused by the failure of an open metal halide lamp. When the lamp failed, the inner arc tube ruptured (inner arc tube can reach temperatures as high as 2000° F) and penetrated the exterior bulb. Particles from the arc tube ignited a stack of combustible plastic trays, fortunately there was no major structural damage and materials were salvaged.

INTRODUCTION
Metal halide systems remain the preferred technology for many commercial and industrial applications for sports lighting, athletic areas and warehousing. In many cases, metal halide lighting is the only practical lighting option.
Normally the failure of a lamp fails to illuminate when it is energized; however, on occasion, the lamp can fail violently or rupture. Metal halide lamps have been suspected as the ignition source in a number of fires and may increase the risk of fire.
Metal halide lamps are constructed with an outer bulb with an internal arc tube made of quartz. The arc tube operates under high pressure at very high temperatures (internal pressures of 70 — 90 psi and temperatures near 2000 F.)
The arc tube and outer bulb may unexpectedly rupture due to internal causes or external factors such as a system failure or misapplication. The possibility of lamp failure increases significantly as it approaches and exceeds its rated life. The failure rate with a rupture of the outer bulb is less than 1 in 100,000.

The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) has three classifications for metal halide lamps:
E-type lamps can only be used in suitably rated enclosed luminaries;
S-type lamps may be used in open luminaires if certain conditions are met;
O-type lamps may be used in open luminaires.

The S-type lamps can only operate in an open fixture when operated within 15° of vertical and provided the installation is not near people or flammable or combustible materials.
The O-type lamps generally have an additional quartz shroud around the arc tube that can contain the arc tube fragments or reduce their momentum sufficiently that they will not break the outer glass bulb. Lamps with a protective shroud are frequently designated as MP-type metal halide lamps.

Error

hey hey

I have been having similar worries. I have a few outdoor plants in some pots, and I have to constantly remind some of my roommates to not turn on the light outside for risk of ruining the dark cycle. His argument was that the plant does not sense the light because it isn't the sun or proper indoor growing lights. I thought any light will disturb the cycle. Trying to confirm this. A few of my plants that I have been flowering for for about 2-3 months are starting to grow new vegetative grown and some weird looking flowers. Its a little frustrating because I want to chop my GDPs soon but this new growth is interesting. Maybe they just need more time or maybe its some hermaph growth?

Lack of camera is hurting me too. Any input is appreciated

hey hey

I have been having similar worries. I have a few outdoor plants in some pots, and I have to constantly remind some of my roommates to not turn on the light outside for risk of ruining the dark cycle. His argument was that the plant does not sense the light because it isn't the sun or proper indoor growing lights. I thought any light will disturb the cycle. Trying to confirm this. A few of my plants that I have been flowering for for about 2-3 months are starting to grow new vegetative grown and some weird looking flowers. Its a little frustrating because I want to chop my GDPs soon but this new growth is interesting. Maybe they just need more time or maybe its some hermaph growth?

Lack of camera is hurting me too. Any input is appreciated

you are correct! that outside light being on will disturb the cycle

thanks for the input

I am trying to borrow a camera tomorrow, I am worried this one plant I've had for some time turned to hermie. I started it around thanksgiving from a germinated seed. my first attempt with seed because I've had access to clones in the past. I did this for an expiriment I realize this wasn't the best time to do it (for outdoor around december) but the weather is actually adequate. anyway the plant was on the verge of dying but came back amazingly and started to flower a few months ago. I could have sworn it was 100% female because of pistils and flowers. I think its over flowered because new flowers are emerging from nice finished looking ones. I'm wondering if I should chop the whole thing because I don't know if it will ever finish. I fear it has spread to my granddaddys because there is similar new growth coming when I was patiently waiting for the current beautiful flowers to finish their potency. I also have some new female clones, I think I have been dumb for not keeping them separate.

I know this has been a rant and w/o pics is hard but I'm just waiting on a cam. just trying to gauge if any of this makes sense. thank you

yeah the trichs are mature its just new pistils keep emerging

I'm not even sure if its producing male traits just new pistils and banana leaves are occuring on the seed plant. then I noticed similar (but very small compared to the seed plant) things happening to my GDP. little new veg growth and pistils and odd shaped buds are forming. this plant I fear has been suffering from some mildew but more than 50% of the plants have A++ looking nugs.

I need to figure out to cut or not and if my others have been affected

must borrow camera!!

honestly thats good advice dude

this shit stresses me out and it shouldn't be like that

I guess thats a new grower for you trying to produce the best meds!

Back
Top Bottom