Keeping plants in veg outdoors

Plants only ever hermi as a result of survival instinct. Some plants are naturaly healthier and yes, they can handle more stress. Seed banks select healthy parents to handle poor grow conditions that trigger a natural response. With there selective breading people still get hermis because survival can not be selected out. Before feminised seeds, I've had an oz with 20 seeds that grew a plant with one seed per oz. It is the enviroment that causes a week or strong plant to hermi, but it's so much easier to blame genetics.

Plants only ever hermi as a result of survival instinct. Some plants are naturaly healthier and yes, they can handle more stress. Seed banks select healthy parents to handle poor grow conditions that trigger a natural response. With there selective breading people still get hermis because survival can not be selected out. Before feminised seeds, I've had an oz with 20 seeds that grew a plant with one seed per oz. It is the enviroment that causes a week or strong plant to hermi, but it's so much easier to blame genetics.
I disagree , I have personally experienced the painful learning process of genetic hermaphroditism in cannabis . When I first started growing 17yrs ago i was given bag seed. Every plant I grew ( hundreds) every single one for 2 yrs was hermie. Classic example of genetically recessive hermaphroditism

I agree with it being easy to blame genetics. Very often humans aren’t self aware enough to even recognize they’ve made a mistake let alone admit it.

In that same token though I believe that a lot of subpar breeders and shady “businessmen” pushed out a lot of unstable genetics then tried to blame growers having light leaks among other problems. It happens in almost every unregulated, or ineffectively regulated industry. Some folks just wanna make a fast buck and will do whatever it takes to make it happen.

I disagree , I have personally experienced the painful learning process of genetic hermaphroditism in cannabis . When I first started growing 17yrs ago i was given bag seed. Every plant I grew ( hundreds) every single one for 2 yrs was hermie. Classic example of genetically recessive hermaphroditism

I thought using bagseed would make it easier for me to learn.. it just stressed me out and confused me 😂 every time they would herm.. some right away, some mid flower, some at the end, but they always did it and I could never figure out the trigger. I didn’t change anything, then I ran new strains that I personally bought the seeds for and the very first grow was flawless with no issues.

I did get really good at germinating and vegging though so I got pretty good value out of it in the end.

I thought using bagseed would make it easier for me to learn.. it just stressed me out and confused me 😂 every time they would herm.. some right away, some mid flower, some at the end, but they always did it and I could never figure out the trigger. I didn’t change anything, then I ran new strains that I personally bought the seeds for and the very first grow was flawless with no issues.

I did get really good at germinating and vegging though so I got pretty good value out of it in the end.
Yes genetics plays the biggest role in hermaphroditism. 100% . You know this when you waste two years of your life growing bag seeds where hermies have been bred over hermies over and over again . It becomes so recessive in the genetics. I actually took the time to create some Female pollen using colloidal silver method , and used one of the rare females that came from the hermie seed stock that I had and crossed the seed bank genetics pollen over the hermie ridden female genetics . And planted all the seeds to see what the outcome would be . …….I bred the hermie out of the hermie bag seed and managed to get 100 females from 100 seeds . :) quite remarkable

Yes genetics plays the biggest role in hermaphroditism. 100% . You know this when you waste two years of your life growing bag seeds where hermies have been bred over hermies over and over again . It becomes so recessive in the genetics. I actually took the time to create some Female pollen using colloidal silver method , and used one of the rare females that came from the hermie seed stock that I had and crossed the seed bank genetics pollen over the hermie ridden female genetics . And planted all the seeds to see what the outcome would be . …….I bred the hermie out of the hermie bag seed and managed to get 100 females from 100 seeds . :) quite remarkable

You’ve got far more patience than I do 😂 I gave up after 9 months worth of it.. I just couldn’t take raising plants for 4 months to have them crap out on me mid stretch.

Sounds like it was just as valuable an experience for you as for me, if not more so, so that’s always nice when you get something out of it

I worded it poorly. Our definition of genetics is not the same. If a plant stresses and has just one male part it can self pollenate. If it creates 3 seeds all 3 of those seeds have received 100% of there genetics from the same single parent. Plant those 3 seeds in the same environment and they will vary in health because no two seeds grow exactly the same. With minor stress the strong will be fine. The medium may minor herm and the weakest will full herm. The seeds from the full herm will have a stronger tendency to herm. But those seeds are the exact same genetics as the plant we started with. Self pollination introduces no new genetics to the offspring.

Have you known any identical twins? One is always athletic and outgoing while the other is more of a shy bookworm with allergies. They have identical genetics but environmental differences.

You’ve got far more patience than I do 😂 I gave up after 9 months worth of it.. I just couldn’t take raising plants for 4 months to have them crap out on me mid stretch.

Sounds like it was just as valuable an experience for you as for me, if not more so, so that’s always nice when you get something out of it
Yeah I did fuck around far too long with them , 😆. But this was like almost 20yrs ago and back then in Australia , access to seed banks and overseas shipping wasn’t as easily done . Bag seeds was all we could really get unfortunately . And like yourself , once I got my first batch of a+ seeds from Spain , the grows were flawless :) although I have had 2 batches of seeds in the last 3 yrs from 2 different seed banks which gave me hermies . One replaced the seeds and the other took my 600 dollars and wrote it off and didn’t compensate me. Bummer after growing them for a couple months wasting not only money but time also . Lots of time

Sort of an inbreeding but for plants.
exactly, but inbreeding in lower life forms with shorter chromosomal chains dose not cause mutation. Many plants, fish, and insects intentionally inbreed to prevent genetic drift. Females from sharks, to termites, to plants will self inseminate if they do not have acceptable genetic donor. When the biological clock ticks down they can choose to not continue there genetic line and die, a sub par genetic line or copy there own genetic line. That end of life decision is based on environment more than predetermined genetics. Genetics do play a part but they are often not the main character.

exactly, but inbreeding in lower life forms with shorter chromosomal chains dose not cause mutation. Many plants, fish, and insects intentionally inbreed to prevent genetic drift. Females from sharks, to termites, to plants will self inseminate if they do not have acceptable genetic donor. When the biological clock ticks down they can choose to not continue there genetic line and die, a sub par genetic line or copy there own genetic line. That end of life decision is based on environment more than predetermined genetics. Genetics do play a part but they are often not the main character.
I don’t buy that , I grew the seeds in each season . From cold , to perfect conditions and onto hot conditions . Also wet and dry . All seasons and environments hermed . This suggests 100% that genetics was the main contributing factor . And I successfully bred the herm out of the genetics by crossing a strong female pollen over one of the rare females that came from that line of herm ridden bag seeds by using the colloidal silver method . The next gen were all females after doing this experiment , not one herm :)

Back
Top Bottom