Keeping plants in veg outdoors

Grower2020

Hi everyone , I want to keep my plants in veg outdoors . I planted a little late and I’ve been doing some research on intentional night interruption by adding a low wattage bulb above each plant which turns on for a couple of minutes every 2 hrs after the sun sets which breaks up the night cycle and keeps plants in long day mode , preventing flowering . Has anyone tried this method ? I’ve done a lot of reading on it and apparently it works so I’m hoping someone here has tried it with success ?
Thanks drop your comments and experience in the comments . Much appreciated 👌 peace and remember it’s 420 somewhere ;)

IMG_2541.png

Hey Grower2020,

think it’s called gas lantern routine, you can search here using that term to find more info…

never tried it personally but wanted to say seems I recall peeps using this but more like having it turned on for an hour or two in duration to break up the long night period.

but hey if Ed Rosenthal sez that short bursts of light exposure works that sounds pretty kewl

Yep, the gas lantern method. When I first heard about the method the common thing was to have a light come on in the middle of the dark cycle and stay on for an hour or two. Since then I have come across several articles and threads on message boards about using the several seconds of light 3 times over the dark cycle.

I remember reading a short article by Rosenthal, at least I think it was his article, where he mentions that he was working for a large California grow. When flowering started they wanted to keep one area from flowering until the other strains were ready. He had a crew pull a large light out into the field and sweep it back and forth over an area for an hour or so and then move on to the next area.

My question is why can the light coming on for several seconds to several minutes not cause a plant to become a hermaphrodite but turning the light on to look at the plants several times will cause a major 'seeds everywhere' disaster?

Yep, the gas lantern method. When I first heard about the method the common thing was to have a light come on in the middle of the dark cycle and stay on for an hour or two. Since then I have come across several articles and threads on message boards about using the several seconds of light 3 times over the dark cycle.

I remember reading a short article by Rosenthal, at least I think it was his article, where he mentions that he was working for a large California grow. When flowering started they wanted to keep one area from flowering until the other strains were ready. He had a crew pull a large light out into the field and sweep it back and forth over an area for an hour or so and then move on to the next area.

My question is why can the light coming on for several seconds to several minutes not cause a plant to become a hermaphrodite but turning the light on to look at the plants several times will cause a major 'seeds everywhere' disaster?
Well I’ve read a few articles that light leaks etc don’t actually contribute to hermies .

Well I’ve read a few articles that light leaks etc don’t actually contribute to hermies .
Agree. I have been following that sort of discussion for awhile here on this message board. Light leaks, leaving a light on overnight on occasion, opening the door to do a forgotten spray for insects seems to cause no problem at all.

Some growers are deliberately trying to get flowering plants to turn into true hermaphrodites and they just cannot do it. I have tried to get it to happen and this past week cut down, trimmed, inspected, washed and will start drying 2 clones. They were abused all through flowering with 2 or more light issues a night and I have not noticed a seed yet nor even a single male flower poking out of a bud of female flowers.

My own tent & light issue experience....

@Keffka's own dark cycle testings mentioned in the middle of this msg....

Agree. I have been following that sort of discussion for awhile here on this message board. Light leaks, leaving a light on overnight on occasion, opening the door to do a forgotten spray for insects seems to cause no problem at all.

Some growers are deliberately trying to get flowering plants to turn into true hermaphrodites and they just cannot do it. I have tried to get it to happen and this past week cut down, trimmed, inspected, washed and will start drying 2 clones. They were abused all through flowering with 2 or more light issues a night and I have not noticed a seed yet nor even a single male flower poking out of a bud of female flowers.

My own tent & light issue experience....

@Keffka's own dark cycle testings mentioned in the middle of this msg....

I second (or third) this as well. In my experience and opinion, herms are in the genes. If a plant is gonna herm, it’s gonna herm. If it’s not, it’s not. Rodelization is different but herming plants during the regular course of a grow, that’s genetics. @Melville Hobbes actually turned me on to this idea the previous grow I did

I’ve got a sativa in the room right now in its 12th week of flower. It’s taken all the same stresses of the other plants I covered in my journal, AND I harvested three plants in the middle of its dark phase. My wife has spent time with the lights on just outside of the room wrapping Christmas presents so that’s a bunch of light leaks multiple times by itself.

Nothing. The plant is still building, hasn’t slowed, no signs of herms anywhere.

I second (or third) this as well. In my experience and opinion, herms are in the genes. If a plant is gonna herm, it’s gonna herm. If it’s not, it’s not. Rodelization is different but herming plants during the regular course of a grow, that’s genetics. @Melville Hobbes actually turned me on to this idea the previous grow I did

I’ve got a sativa in the room right now in its 12th week of flower. It’s taken all the same stresses of the other plants I covered in my journal, AND I harvested three plants in the middle of its dark phase. My wife has spent time with the lights on just outside of the room wrapping Christmas presents so that’s a bunch of light leaks multiple times by itself.

Nothing. The plant is still building, hasn’t slowed, no signs of herms anywhere.
Yep over the years I’ve found that some bag seeds I have grown were so genetically hermed it was crazy , I once put 100 plants into pots and every single seed hermed on me. I was wondering what I was doing wrong lol this was like 15yra ago now . But yeah herms are genetic and or weak genetics I believe 100%

Yep over the years I’ve found that some bag seeds I have grown were so genetically hermed it was crazy , I once put 100 plants into pots and every single seed hermed on me. I was wondering what I was doing wrong lol this was like 15yra ago now . But yeah herms are genetic and or weak genetics I believe 100%

Same thing here. Ran bag seed 3 times. I thought it would be okay because I had an idea of what the genetics were but it was such a crapshoot. The plants that did the best still had nanners in them and never fully finished. It wasn’t bad product but it was definitely riddled with nans and beans.

I’m not shocked. We all know there’s some real shady genetics and real shady breeders out there. Heck people come on here all the time with their info all mixed up. The best advice I could give is as you know, to find a reliable breeder you like and stick with them. Reward good work and starve out these crap operations.

Yep, the gas lantern method.

outdoor grown plants are totally different. they develop much hardier and can take greater stresses. outdoor reg plants are even tougher. you can do things you'd never consider indoor.

I second (or third) this as well. In my experience and opinion, herms are in the genes. If a plant is gonna herm, it’s gonna herm. If it’s not, it’s not.

yes to this.

if the seeds came from a herm plant the majority will be herms as well.

it's not just bad luck or poor breeding. there are even some landrace strains that are prone to herm. but they don't naturally occur in the rates that we are seeing now.

My question is why can the light coming on for several seconds to several minutes not cause a plant to become a hermaphrodite but turning the light on to look at the plants several times will cause a major 'seeds everywhere' disaster

So I thought about this a bit more and I think the argument you’ll get is, with the gas lantern routine, you’re preventing the plant from flowering full stop. When it’s already in flower and gets hit with light then it can cause issues. That’s the argument anyway. I don’t agree with it, as I said earlier.

So I thought about this a bit more and I think the argument you’ll get is, with the gas lantern routine, you’re preventing the plant from flowering full stop. When it’s already in flower and gets hit with light then it can cause issues. That’s the argument anyway. I don’t agree with it, as I said earlier.
That is the basic counter argument and I don't buy it either.

About 2 months ago someone here on 420 posted a link to an article on this topic. The authors have studied and explain how/why low level lights are not a problem. The authors even mention that Dr. Bruce Bugbee of youtube fame does not believe that the minor light issues are a problem for the plants.

Growing cannabis: Debunking the light leak myth
June 23, 2022
(if the link stops working then a regular search engine or the Wayback Machine should be able to find the new URL by using the title or using the quote below .)

"This observation has recently been proven by Dr. Bruce Bugbee who demonstrated that none of the cultivars studied could perceive light below about 10 nanomoles.

This is about 5X as much illumination as full moonlight and is enough light to read a large print book.
"

That is the basic counter argument and I don't buy it either.

About 2 months ago someone here on 420 posted a link to an article on this topic. The authors have studied and explain how/why low level lights are not a problem. The authors even mention that Dr. Bruce Bugbee of youtube fame does not believe that the minor light issues are a problem for the plants.

June 23, 2022
(if the link stops working then a regular search engine or the Wayback Machine should be able to find the new URL by using the title or using the quote below .)

"This observation has recently been proven by Dr. Bruce Bugbee who demonstrated that none of the cultivars studied could perceive light below about 10 nanomoles.

This is about 5X as much illumination as full moonlight and is enough light to read a large print book.
"

Yep, I read that, I don’t remember who posted it, I know I shared it. It’s interesting stuff, especially in regard to phytochrome. It jives with the practice of simply flashing your plants with a light to prevent flowering since plants operate on a toggle effect. Super fascinating stuff

During the night cycle the plant relieces a flowering hormone as soon as mature. Photosynthesis breaks that hormone down. At first light the plants Photosynthesis is most productive. Daily light interval and length of full dark will determine how much interruption is needed to eliminate flowering hormone.

Hermi is a natural survival instinct that was genetically recessed. Early flower light alone will not induce hermi. I leave the door between my veg and flower room open way too often. Never caused isue without intentionaly adding other factors. Conditions that would make waiting for pollen not an option cause hermi. Food, water, or temperature can make the plant think it can't live long enough to wait for pollen. Light late flower and increased temp can make it think it missed flowering season and self pollinate. There is no such thing as week genetics. Just nature's genetics reacting to poor grow conditions.

There is no such thing as week genetics. Just nature's genetics reacting to poor grow conditions

I disagree. There are both literal and figurative weak genes. There are weak and strong interactions. There are also mutations and evolution, both of which can be either weak or strong in their ability to adapt to the environment.

Not all genetics are meant to survive.

I disagree. There are both literal and figurative weak genes. There are weak and strong interactions. There are also mutations and evolution, both of which can be either weak or strong in their ability to adapt to the environment.

Not all genetics are meant to survive.
Agree

Back
Top Bottom