LED in the VipersNest

more wattage and more spectrum...yes without a doubt. The hot setup would be HIDs and LEDs in an array..costly but I think thats the hot ticket.

maybe the new school leds will have a few little HPS and MH bulbs in them... Nano HPS.... reds,blues,whites,hps,MH............... Now that would be a light...heck, maybe even throw in a few nano cfl bulbs in there.!!!!!:slide::)

Hi,

I've been reading over this thread the past few days. There are some lovely plants in here! :reading420magazine:

Viper, I must have missed a few pics... I saw you plants in vegging state, then a nice nugget saying how well your patients like the LED grown plants. Is your crop done all the way through flowering??

I'm new to this, my 1st grow is outside and finishing up. They've been out there since May and it's baking hot here. I had a hard time even keeping the soil in the pot from boiling the roots! I'm also new to CA and this hot hot climate! Heat is my issue with everything!!I have some T-5s and 250W for 10 CFLs in my guest room for seedlings. I struggled to keep that room and the rest of the house at 80 with the AC on, but I'm planning to flee this rat trap to a better place this winter. However, heat will still be in issue anywhere in this area. I'd like to grow inside all year, but in reality, it might not me possible in the summer.

The minute i got my MJ card, I ran out and bought a 150W HPS light. I quickly learned this was a waste of $$ and just opened the box to try it last night... then laughed and laughed. It was hot , but one tiny 42W CFL was sure much brighter to my eyes! What a silly light! I had hoped to use the 150HPS with some CFLs for flowering, but there is no way it will work. I have been reading and reading about lights for over 4 months and am overwhelmed!! My book has too much detailed info for larger grow areas.

I am placing an order tomorrow for this tent. 3'11"x 3'11" which holds a 3x3' tray. It comes with everything but lights and growing supplies. I'll use soil for now. GrowLab GL120 w/ Accessory Kit | BGH
The tent will be in a 14'x11' room and since it's light and odor proof, the door and window will be open when needed, until I move. Fans are all over the place. I will only grow for myself and estimate a total of 1/2oz to an ounce per month or 10oz a year. Without using MJ to replace my daily narcotics, just other meds, I use 1/2oz a month. I'll need to make BHO Oil (ISO method) to replace these daily narcotics, if it's even possible. I'll guess an ounce or 2 a month (?), but more is always welcome, just in case I'm wrong... which I often am! :-D BTW, I hope to grow a continuous harvest. At least a veggy area and the flowering tent, I hope. Perhaps that 150W HPS is good for something. LOL Brand new, too far to return it.

My local store and many others have said that LEDs are pretty useless. From what I've seen , they have potential! I've been deciding between a 400WHPS or a 600W HPS for my new tent. The hard part is cooling it. Going all florescent T-5/CFL doesn't look like a great option, even for the lower heat. So, now that I've read this thread, the LED light is in the mix. I haven't a clue to which wattage...
1) How would you LED users rate this light compared to the HPS, for flowering only? This is for folks who have tried both!
2) Which W HPS = LEDW? My book has nothing on this!
3) Which kicks out less heat? In general, the LED, but heat for the lights needed to cover the same grow area, is it still less?
3) I see viper had some bizarre starts... Are the LEDs a better choice for me in this tent, in CA, than HPS?
4) How many W Led for my tent grow area and goals for yield.
5) how many flowering plants, or monthly rotating flowering plants would go in my 3x3 space under ?W LED?
I'm planning on waiting a month to buy the lights and squeeze by with what I have until X-mas sales kick in. After the $ for the tent and supplies, value for the $ is important, but so is the quality. I always include any detail that comes to mind that can help Someone can help me. It gets a bit looong! (sorry!)

I have more details about what I have and hope to get on Monday or Tuesday (8th/9th) here: (I really need some fast help on this one!!) The various bug sprays, nutes, and extra gadgets are hard to pick from and not waste $$.
Newbie help! Ready to buy these things, but better ask first to avoid wasting more $

Here's my details for lights, before considering LEDs or a combo of lights: (oh what a PITA!!!)
Help! figuring out what lights I need!

While I'm at it... if ya'll can help me pic the best 2 or 10 pics for the plant contest, I sure need some advice which are the best to enter!! I like a pretty picture, but doesn't mean it's a good one. ;-P I'd like to get me 2 pics in ASAP! Don't want to miss the chance to be the first 25 entries. :) I need those prizes! LOL Comments greatly welcome
420 Magazine's Plant of the Month Contest: November 2010

TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thanks:

The minute i got my MJ card, I ran out and bought a 150W HPS light. I quickly learned this was a waste of $$ and just opened the box to try it last night... then laughed and laughed. It was hot , but one tiny 42W CFL was sure much brighter to my eyes! What a silly light! I had hoped to use the 150HPS with some CFLs for flowering, but there is no way it will work. I have been reading and reading about lights for over 4 months and am overwhelmed!! My book has too much detailed info for larger grow areas.

Good luck with all your endeavors.

I respectfully disagree with your statements about the 150 though.
My grow used a 150 HPS in a 3x1.5 foot cabinet and got 3 OZ off my one plant.

A 42W bulb is not brighter than a 150W HPS.

Hi CJ,

You are the first person I have met that has a 150! :) To my eyes, the 42W is blinding and I can't look directly at it. That doesn't mean anythings for the plants... LOL How do you set up your 150? Mine is half ballast and only a bit of both plants has light on them. Do you have a photo of your flowering plants in there or a description of your set up? I have never found any photos of a 150W set up and my book starts with a 250W. If you can get that light to work for you, I'd love to know how!! My girls are only 26" high. One I trained over at an angle. The ballast takes up half the width of the light and the plant on that ballast is only 4 inches from it with no heat build up. The other plant is 1" from the bulb. I've moved the CFLs diagonally across the front and back of the area. Let me know! I'd like to make these work until I have enough info to decide on a LED or HPS. I 600W HPS sounds absurd for a 3x3 area, yet this is what most people say to get. :-(

Are LEDs working out there for anyone to flower with start to finish? Anyone else growing in baking hot CA? The vegging plants look lovely under the LED.

TY!

It can't be said enough "This site rocks". I am finally getting around to reading the various journals. Love the way you help each other.

Well, after reading Bad Boy T 5 journal, I thought I was going for a Bad Boy, now I'm thinking Spectra 180-300 to add to my UFO 90 one-watt and maybe a mover.

My biggest gripe (not there is anything that can be done about it) is what is the real life expectancy of the various LED bulbs. How long before some, or all, degrade say 20-25%?

The kool thing with the Bad Boy is you can mix/match/replace bulbs on the fly for little $$$$$. The bad thing is apparently, they are experiencing growing pains. My hydro store stopped shipping them due to a variety of problems that led to too many returns. Hope they get this worked out SOON, but probably to late for me.

Good luck with all your endeavors.

I respectfully disagree with your statements about the 150 though.
My grow used a 150 HPS in a 3x1.5 foot cabinet and got 3 OZ off my one plant.

A 42W bulb is not brighter than a 150W HPS.

A 150w HPS at 5" off the canopy has about the same intensity as a 1000w HPS at 15".

I have my 150w HPS bulb in a big 22" x 22" Agrotech reflector, so I can get it way down low and still have decent coverage and intensity over at least 2 x 2'.

Nothing wrong with a 150w HPS, and the low heat factor lets you get it real close to the plants. I have a hot spot right under the bulb when I drop it really low, like 3-4", but it works really well at 5-6" off the canopy.

Short plants are pretty much essential to a good yield because penetration is limited, but for small grows of 1-3 short plants, the 150w HPS does fine.

The big hood I use with it increases the coverage at the sacrifice of the intensity I'd get with a smaller, more focused reflector, but it flowers just fine.

Hi CJ,

You are the first person I have met that has a 150! :) To my eyes, the 42W is blinding and I can't look directly at it. That doesn't mean anythings for the plants... LOL How do you set up your 150? Mine is half ballast and only a bit of both plants has light on them. Do you have a photo of your flowering plants in there or a description of your set up? I have never found any photos of a 150W set up and my book starts with a 250W. If you can get that light to work for you, I'd love to know how!! My girls are only 26" high. One I trained over at an angle. The ballast takes up half the width of the light and the plant on that ballast is only 4 inches from it with no heat build up. The other plant is 1" from the bulb. I've moved the CFLs diagonally across the front and back of the area. Let me know! I'd like to make these work until I have enough info to decide on a LED or HPS. I 600W HPS sounds absurd for a 3x3 area, yet this is what most people say to get. :-(

Are LEDs working out there for anyone to flower with start to finish? Anyone else growing in baking hot CA? The vegging plants look lovely under the LED.

TY!

Here are my threads showing the grow and the results.
It was supposed to be a scrog, but I messed up the timing and also translplanted.
ChicagoJoe's 1st Grow - SCROG - 150W - Suggestions Welcome

150W HPS - 18 pics - 9 weeks flower

Peace Pit, thanks.

Hi PitViper

s this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

LED LIGHTS

I went to Advanced LED Lights ( advancedledlights.com ) and got (4) 200 watt 3w Diamond Series LED lights. Made in the USA and the absolute best quality. You get what you pay for so do it right the first time and checkout these lights first. All other cheaper brands just don't work like these. The (4) 200w lights cover a 6x6 grow tent perfectly. Some of the LED lights look like they're not working but they are. Pure infrared and ultra-violet. They give the plants the perfect lighting they require. I just finished my blooming and have them drying. Not only do these lights work beyond belief, they produce no heat, grow your veggies MUCH faster, uses very little power, (1 month of full usage cost me $12 (quicker growth and less AC needed) so they REALLY save you money, NO thermal detection, just absolutely amazing new technology. My plants went from seeds to drying in 3 months. Short node spacing and deep light penetration. HUGH BUDS to top it off. You won't regret spending some money on a lighting system that is far superior to any other lights on the market. I'll never use anything but these LEDs from now on. Hope you get a chance to see them in action. Peace and happy hunting.

Back
Top Bottom