LED Tech Designers Needed

Bud basher

Hey fellas I am new to led and would like some info on some linear strips I would like to get made, so cutters in Australia do lots of strips I believe that Samsung lm 301b are the best available atm ? Plus the Cree XPG -3 photo red 660nm is the best red? So my thoughts are do I need 720 far red? And maybe uv? I want this to be a flowing unit with 16x 560mm strips and my gold is to hit 1000 even par per 4x4 space over the canopy, plus if you think separate uv tubes would be a better option? I am thinking 640 watts to 800 watts to match a de 1000 watt hps without so much heat, so lads with the smarts let us know your thoughts cheers.

@Icemud , have you got a spare minute? You did some kind of red/far-red thing a while back, unless my burnt brain is misremembering, and might have some advice along those lines, in regards to whether it's necessary, or even helpful, etc. Possibly some general "LED to match a given HPS' prowess," too, IDK. Seems like you have The LED Knowledge, lol.

@Icemud , have you got a spare minute? You did some kind of red/far-red thing a while back, unless my burnt brain is misremembering, and might have some advice along those lines, in regards to whether it's necessary, or even helpful, etc. Possibly some general "LED to match a given HPS' prowess," too, IDK. Seems like you have The LED Knowledge, lol.

Its been a while since I've focused on lighting for plants, but I just looked at the charts for the LM301B chips and all color temps and CRI of those chips have a decent amount of far red up to around 750nm... So alone the LM301B chips "should" be more than enough. In all the research I did, I never found the "golden ratio" of what red:far red should be used... however it IS IMPORTANT to know that the more far red light you have aka the lower the ratio of Red:far red is, the more STRETCH your plants will have. Too much Far red triggers the "shade avoidance syndrome" similar to leaves under a plant canopy, and forces the branching to stretch to get into "direct light".

As far as adding Far Red to the LM301B chips.. I can't really answer that.. If I was building the panel, I probably wouldn't add any extra Far Red, since the LM301B chips already have some.. however IF you start growing and notice your plants are growing too compact, then adding a couple Far Red chips will help stretch things out (good if you grow 100% indicas).

For "emerson effect" I am not really sure what "ratio" is ideal, or even at what point adding far red doesn't give advantage..

In reguards to UV-A and UV-B, that would be personal preference. I probably would suggest getting UV-A and UV-B via a reptile bulb vs LED's due to LED's being very "directional" light, the spread of beam would be very low from a single LED chip... Also LED UV chips are not very long lasting, compared to other wavelength UV chips... Last I looked a few years ago, the average life for UV chips was about 1/10th of that of other chips (white, red..etc). I personally haven't jumped into using UV in my grows but IF I did I would probably either go get a few UV reptile bulbs (florescent) or get one of those Agromax florescent bulbs made to only emit UV. You would get a much better light distribution with those than UV chips.

Hope this helps.

...and, when it comes to the UV spectrum, "a little dab will do ya," lol.

Thank you for responding. Seems like I learn something nearly every time I read one of your posts.
You are welcome :) I wish I would have kept up with my LED research, but got busy instead studying state cannabis regulations instead... LOL.. and that kept me extremely busy! lol I do need to go back to the abstracts and see what new studies have popped up this year.

Cheers Icemud for the info I definitely think the tube type uv will be a better option especially since the uv chips don’t last, do you have a link to the spectrum chart for the 301b? I wish there was a percentage on all numbers of nm to make a light it would be so much easier, as these units will be the best part of $ 800 a piece and I want to get them right, these LEDs are a bit of a mind field for someone who is a bit computer illiterate like myself there is a download on the cutters web site that you can design the lights which shows the spectrum and par it’s pretty cool, but with my limited knowledge of technology stuff it’s a no go for me and cause I live in the uk I can’t ask anyone to show me or do it for me as it’s illegal here and I keep my stuff very quiet, thanks for the info again, cheers.

Back
Top Bottom