Led

Simple physics will tell you that a 400 watt LED and a 400 watt HPS will us the exact same power (give or take ballast/ driver efficiency). You are not using 75% less energy. You are using 100% the same. ANY LED company claiming that they can replace a HID system with less than 50% power consumption is straight out lying. Read a few post here on these forums and find out the basics please.

wierd because the reason i switched was because my buddy did and his bill totally dropped. not only that but i can vouch for the heat being almost non existant, also quiet as a mouse. And i have read most of these LED post and everybody seems to agree with the efficiancy of LED. so maybe it is just equal to 400 watt, maybe thats the point

Let me clarify. If you want to produce (roughly) the same quantity and quality with LED lighting you need to use roughly half or a little more than half of the power draw used by the HPS/HID system. For example, If you want to replace a 400 watt HPS light system you could purchase a high quality 250 watt LED panel and get (roughly) the same quality and quantity produce. Yes there is a large amount of heat difference. Yes the ballast and fans for a HPS system will be louder (in most cases). Unless you are building the LED panel yourself, a 600 watt HPS is currently the most efficient light source in lumens per watt. However, there are LEDs made that get better lm/w and the measurement is calculated to the advantage of incandescent lighting (because that is all there was when it was developed). Do not take the above statement in any way to mean that lumens is something that should be discussed in a plant growth topic. It is simply the generic way of measuring output according to the human eye. The technical and correct term would be radiometric flux. In terms of radiometric flux, LED's are by far the most efficient.

any pics?

heres my two clones under my
pot43.jpg
pot51.jpg
400 watt hygro LED,
pot19.jpg

Looks sweet. As far as facts go, Hosebomber has it going on. I am just a grower. I have tried a variety of panels that you can see in my journal. So far the Budmaster is the best performer. All the panels are in the bud room at this time and I rotate the new girls under the Budmaster first for at least a week if not two or three. The lenses are very tight so the growing footprint is smaller but much more intense. Good luck with your new panel... start a journal! (I suck at folllowing journals :cheesygrinsmiley:)

Hello All, I just joined this site and also joined the LED revolution about three weeks ago. I ended up getting an Advanced LED Diamond Series DS-200, and I'm really likin' it. My plants are very healthy. I did pay attention to two things when I started researching the new LED lights available now. First was room temps between 80 and 85 was recommended on a couple of the big LED light makers sites, being winter I had to add a 42 watt cfl to get up in that range and also had to run exhaust on a 15 minute timer to allow the heat to rise. The second recommended thing I paid attention to was using a very light well draining medium, I'm a container gardener so I ended up going with roots greenlite, which has worked out very well for me. It dries out at about the same rate as when using HID lights. One could lighten up some promix with perlite as well, the Roots has some extra good stuff for the plants to eat though. So I hope this helps out some of you guys new the LED's like me. So far I'm real happy with the move to LED and I'm ordering another Diamond DS-200 as soon as I can to fill out my 3x3 space. Yeah they're expensive. I sold all my beer brewing equipment to help cover this one. You gotta do what you gotta do... Money well spent though I think.

Journal in my sig is an led grow! Check out my results so far. Long as certain conditions are met you get great results. Hosebomber is right you need 1/2-3/4 of the equivalent watts to get similar results to HID lighting. I personally dont worry too much about the power savings and look more to convenience for my justification to using LED. Less heat and space in my grow room being the 2 big ones for me.

Nice room Tony. I posted a couple pics in user gallery. I too was tired of fighting the heat, these are much safer for a small area, and a little less yield from LED, if that's the case, doesn't bother me either. It's not a contest. Point is they work good now (if right conditions are met) and that's enough for me.. Will be interesting to see how some of the 5 watt units coming out do, and those new advanced lights with the 10 watt cree's look cool as hell.. I eventually want to replace my T-5/CFL veg lights with LED too, I broke one of those CFL bulbs once around my plants with fans blowing, and it's bothered me ever since. It seems that cheaper 1 watt LED units would do the job for veg. That's a ways into the future before I get some Veg panels. I've been looking at options though.

Back
Top Bottom