Lessons Learned from a first time grower

To add the what stevesaid. ALL Ph pens will decalibrate over time. My advice is avoid the ones that need you to screw a couple screws to calibrate. I had bought one of those, $70 down the drain. After 2 months of use, i tried to calibrate it one day and it was just not happening. I brought it to the hydro store and the employee(very experienced as they usually are) fiddled with it for a while trying to calibrate it. He put in a new probe and everything. Nothing. It was shot. To my dismay i had lost the reciept. Lesson from this story: pay the extra few bucks and get at least an auto-calibrating ph tester, and with everything else in life, HOLD ON TO YOUR RECEIPT!!!!

I've seen calibration/storage solution go bad, too. Some seem to go bad and become unreliable pretty quickly. I've had bad luck with the General Hydroponics Reference 7.0 solution - (and yes I know not to re-use it or contaminate it). This was news to me! I had assumed it lasted for a while, and didn't think of how it was throwing off my auto-calibrating pen...

Zackroman,
Welcome to 420, even after I read everything I still had questions about growing. What I've found out is, if you ask a question and show you've already done your homework, the experienced growers are more than happy to help. If someone is lazy and just asks a half-assed question and expects responses they will get frustrated because "this isn't a friendly site". I love the "what, 57 views and not a single reply" comments from these people.

Best of luck on your grow and don't hesitate to ask for help.

Zackroman,
Welcome to 420, even after I read everything I still had questions about growing. What I've found out is, if you ask a question and show you've already done your homework, the experienced growers are more than happy to help. If someone is lazy and just asks a half-assed question and expects responses they will get frustrated because "this isn't a friendly site". I love the "what, 57 views and not a single reply" comments from these people.

Best of luck on your grow and don't hesitate to ask for help.

Will do man!
it's good to see people helping the new guys such as me haha.
And tell me about it, I hate when some kid posts a pic of a plant and says what does it need and what strain is it haha. You need allot more info then that Pics smell feel ext. so anyways thanks again and I will definitly turn to your posts and you for advice in the future!
HAPPY GROWING :yummy:

17. Don't Over-think and then Over-react:
It's easy to try to over-analyze things and find the exact reason why something looks the way it does. Often times it's the easiest solution to the problem that is the fix. If you aren't 005 sure what the issue is, don't be afraid to ask for help, what you though was a severe nutrient burn, def, pest problem may have been a simple abrasion form the fan blowing the leaves around. Once the problem is identified decide if immediate and drastic action is required. There's a term in marksmanship called "chasing the bull", you're so determined to hit the bulls-eye, you keep missing because you are over-correcting. The same is true for MOST problems in growing. A little change can make a big difference. Start incrementally and resolve one issue at a time--unless of course the plants are at risk of dying. An example would be a Mg def and High pH. Correct the pH first and then see if the Mg def is still an issue (instead of dumping a ton of epsom salt and pH down in at the same time.

Every day for me is a learning experience. I try to pick up as much as I can from reading as many journals as time permits.

:peace:

17. Don't Over-think and then Over-react:
It's easy to try to over-analyze things and find the exact reason why something looks the way it does.

Every day for me is a learning experience. I try to pick up as much as I can from reading as many journals as time permits.

:peace:

plus reps, good thread. Keep the focus.

Hello everyone,
I also have done a great deal of reading from many sources, just had to say thanks for your work. Your comment on seeing bud mold early was very timely here in NorCal with the rain and wind. But I think that your eyes are the most important tool in the garden. Learning to see the difference between what mites and thrips look like on the leaves, seeing that very early bit of bud that is drying out because a catapillar has chomped through it's stem and getting that worm before it eats it's fill. A little catapillar poop inside a bud.....mold for sure. Made some mistakes too, surprised how easy it is to overwater and truly stunt a great plant. But all in all, best stuff I've ever grown.

So, what have I learned?

1. Dont get paranoid! MJ is a sturdy plant. If there is a problem, there's probably a simple cure. Relax.

2. Res temps are crucial! Keep em low and your plants will thank you and not develop problems, disease, etc. Under 68f is ideal.

3. Hydrogen Peroxide (h202) makes foamy bubbles! There's nothing wrong, it's cleaning like it should and suds will go away in time.

4. I like hygrozyme!

5. RO water NEEDS Cal-Mag. If there's mag deficiency, add epsom salts, foliar spray with a epsom salts water mix until Mag uptake is fixed. Nutrients do not add enough cal-mag to make up for the zero cal-mag in RO water. A short burst of ph at 6.1-6.5 during call-mag addition after a deficiency ensures best Mag uptake.

6. Don't worry about PH getting slightly high from optimal. It's normal and doesnt need constant adjustment of .2-.6 ph. Chances are it will fluctuate down some anyways. Wait till it gets more outta line before adjusting.

7. SH nutes in the Bubleponics (miss spelled for reason) kits do not like RO water and will be the demons of massive ph swings. I like the AN Sensi Grow A & B and B52, and Voodoo juice. PH swings were minimal with these nutrients.

8. Cleanliness is next to godliness. Every res change (once per week) clean the bejeebus out of EVERYTHING! Replace air lines. Flush well, clean again! Take filters out of water pumps and clean them well! Soak in h202 while cleaning other parts. Add an external filter bag to water pumps.

9. Preparing nutrient mix before draining means plants will be out of water for less time. Plants love the huge oxygen shot they get out of the water, but if they'll be out more than 20 mins or so have a ph correct plain water foliar spray at hand and spray the hell out of the roots. Good time to wipe down netpots exterior too.

10. Record your data. Check PH 2 times daily MINIMUM. Record PPM, PH, Res temp. Recording height is optional. Make notes of res changes and any other findings.

11. Don't over soak beans when transplanted! The cubes only need a trickle! This no doubt reduced my yield 50% from placing me two weeks behind to get new seeds and re-germinate.

12. GrowStealth LED lights rock! Dont be afraid to lower the lights a bit! I firmly believe I actually was too high to get the shorter, later plants to stretch. When I moved the light more over them and lowered that end of light they started to move more.

13. Humidty is an issue in my dry ass climate. I need to get more humidty. These plants like much more humidity than I gave them.

14. ASK FOR HELP! Probably the most important thing of all. Don't be a know it all. Do your research first, THEN ask questions. If I research my "issue" first I will be more familiar with what people are talking about. Ask those that have been there before me. Stay humble.

Ok, there may have been more that I learned, but these things are what come to mind. We're only 1/2 way through the process, and roughly 1/3rd of the grow duration. I'm sure I'll learn more. Hell I may even learn how to take close ups!

Thanks to all thus far for your guidance. :Namaste:

Useful info, bassman!

18. Even Tiger Woods has a Coach.

No matter how smart you think you are, or how much you've read, there is someone out there smarter and better educated. It's good to find out who these people are (and not just in the world of growing. Everyone hits a wall occasionally and needs to ask for help/advice. I was recently asked about topping and fimming. I've done both successfully but am far from an expert in the area. I remembered seeing a few good graphics of it around and asked for a copy of it. Xlr8 was kind enough to post it to my Grow 5.1 journal and I am reposting it here:
Fimming_v_topping.jpg

And how to LST:
LST32.jpg

maybe, im afirst time grower and everthing steve says is true. i know ive asked some qs that have made him and abunch of other people roll their eyes and go not again. just like putting yor hand in the fire and then if your dumb enough you do it again. you soon learn not to do it anymore. bad qs aint gonna stop. but alittle sense of humor will go a long way.:Namaste:

no question is a stupid question...only not asking is stupid

OT

I'm with you on this one. If I see a post that looks like it was written by a 10 year old (most likely a 16 year old) I typically ignore it.

As a rule of thumb, I will put as much effort into answering a question as the person put into asking it.

That's a good way to do it... if someone asks "How do I grow weed?" answer "Light, Water, Growing Medium" The more detail they put into asking the question and giving visual references, the more detailed an answer it deserves- nae demands, to give a proper answer.

Back
Top Bottom