Light Acclimation

prankster

I have read a paper or patent in which it was stated that a plant gives better yields in mass when its subjected to light acclimation. This paper was about medical weed with less than 1% THC. So how would it effect THC production in normal weed? Since it was theorized that THC production is a response to high intensity light.

Light acclimating would prep the plant for high intensity light and supposedly helps against light bleaching.

Does anybody has any experience with light acclimation and would the following schedule for light intensity be any useful?

acclimation.png

Changing the light intensity a small bit day by day. This is the publication

WO2016054268 - METHODS OF GROWING CANNABACEAE PLANTS USING ARTIFICIAL LIGHTING

Abstract
(EN)
This invention is directed to a method of growing a plant from the Cannabaceae family, the cultivar or composition produced therefrom, wherein the plant is exposed to artificial lighting of different intensities based on spacing, growth phase, and flowering yield. Cannabis and products/preparations thereof can be used to treat a variety of medical conditions in patients. However, the effectiveness of a given cannabis strain or cultivar in the treatment of a certain medical condition or symptom is dependent on the type(s) of cannabinoids and other products (e.g., terpenes) present in the cultivar, strain, or preparation, both with respect to the amount of a given cannabinoid (or terpene) and the ratios thereof. Cannabinoid compound yield and concentrations are dependent on a number of factors, including cultivar or strain type (e.g., genetic background), nutrients given, exposure to light, growth environment, harvest conditions, and methods of preparation.
SJv-qEarCtkLKWawOoly0PSfT6PIaoq8AWnD5f81hcYEJytZxxgpyrKt6ev1L2BBVH9PdpO77V2jUhOcsgkkVfn7r0J7Ie...png

Think this is better. Yellow is vegetative and flower is green. In the previous graph the DLI was 60 in the vegetative. That is bit much . So I changed vegetative to a DLI of 40 (from 8 to 40 in a week). And flower is 43 (From 19 to 43 in about 2 weeks).

Light intensity.png

For me DLI would be cool for assessing an outdoor grow and seeing how it was effected by the total amount of light. Idoors? Most of the time my lights run full power and the only thing that changes is the hight from the canopy. The majority of the curve is flat and you could calculate the DLI by the light from 1 day. THC for me.

I have a couple of these that get used in a greenhouse for growing food. They measure for 24 hours. I use them for growlights also, they're a cheap way to measure PAR.
20210124_110538.jpg

Well this kind of makes sense...

PPFD is directly related to how many hours a plant is receiving light per the DLI (Daily light Integral) measurement. DLI give a single number in Mols/Day of what a plant should be receiving.

Since with cannabis many growers grow under 2 light regiments 18/6 for veg and 12/12 for flowering, then the PPFD (intensity) requirement would change based on weather the plant is in veg, or bloom.

For instance, if a plant is required to get 60 mols/day of light.. then under 12/12 lighting it would need much higher intensity light because the daylight is shorter vs a plant in veg which would need far less light due to it having 6 more daylight hours..

This is why generally in veg most growers shoot for about 400-500ppfd and for flowering the general aim is 800-1400... the total amount of light per day is the same, just the length of day changes, thus the increase of light needed on shorter days.

Think of it like a big water jug... that is your DLI... If you have 18 hours to fill the jug with water, the rate of water being poured into the container over 18 hours would be lesser than the rate of water needed to fill the jug in 12 hours... Same concept.

-------
I'm not certain why the "ramp up" though between the early days of veg, and early days of flower would have much effect other than its similar to a "sped up" version of what happens naturally. I honestly think the only benefit would be less electricity used if you slowly increase the PPFD and/or daylight length. Either that or the graph compensates for the plant changing during the "2 week" stretch phase..... Interesting chart. Really not sure how it would influence potency enough to really be worth the hassle to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom