Light Advice, Please

Im all for CMH mate, I run 2 x 315w CMH with low profile reflectors. Mine are Lucius, not cheap, and not sure you can buy them in Cannabana...hehe.

Two 315w cmh in a 4ft x 8ft tent works fine, and covers easy in flower. Just like leds, not too much height to them helps yield from light penetration.

Temps have been great, with two Im running at 6-7 degrees over ambient room temp.

If you want to smash them, 2 in a 4ft x 4ft would kick ass.... I want 3 in the big tent...only 945w but would keep up with 1200w hps easy in same area at 2/3 the cost.

Look at my grow in my link in signiture below for pics....

$891 here, do DIY n cut the price significantly. Mars hydro is offering some nice lights at reasonable price to

Thanks - yup, the difference between C$ and US$. I am also looking at the Mars Hydro SP-250.

phlozon is junk my freind has 4 1200 watts at her house she grew 45 plants dodnt yield a lb. prob part of her own error but still is junk
get two or more hlg 260s its cheaper than 550 and can manage spread and adjust each driver if growing diff strains light tolerant on diff sides of tent

Funny you say that... was just thinking about a couple of HLG 260s for exactly that reason. Thanks!!

Im all for CMH mate, I run 2 x 315w CMH with low profile reflectors. Mine are Lucius, not cheap, and not sure you can buy them in Cannabana...hehe.

Two 315w cmh in a 4ft x 8ft tent works fine, and covers easy in flower. Just like leds, not too much height to them helps yield from light penetration.

Temps have been great, with two Im running at 6-7 degrees over ambient room temp.

If you want to smash them, 2 in a 4ft x 4ft would kick ass.... I want 3 in the big tent...only 945w but would keep up with 1200w hps easy in same area at 2/3 the cost.

Look at my grow in my link in signiture below for pics....

Another vote for CMH! Did a quick search, and could not find Lucius brand in Canada. But "low profile" yielded some candidates. Yes, I think I would do two x 315 watts. Go big! Helpful info on the temperature impact as well, thanks!

Hehe... Also in coco.....cocobro... Lol

Im just an amateur Quadsquader in Training....still on my L plates...gotta earn my licence....and then theres the hazing....

don't get mars hydro
junk

Thanks. Interesting, as the comments I have seen from others here on various journals etc. have been pretty positive about mars, especially their newer SP-250. What don't you like about their products? I notice that you are in Canada, like me. Do you mind sharing where you sourced your lights? Thanks again.

I am hoping that @Old Salt will get a chance to stop by this thread and chime in. I know that he has a lot of knowledge and experience regarding lighting, and is also in Canada. Thanks in advance, Mr. Salt!

Ugh! I too have one of those low basements. I very much doubt that you'll be able to erect a 4' X 4' X 6' tent down there. If you need to turn it upside down to install the walls, it's a no-go right off the bat. You'll need at least 87" of height, and that gives you less than 1/2" to play with. A 2' X 4' X 6' tent needs at least 76" to flip, so even that would be a problem. You may be able to slip it up between the joists to flip it. Perhaps you can erect the 2' X 4' tents elsewhere and get it into the basement. Take a good look before you buy.

The CMHs seem to be good, but you lose at least a foot (probably more) of headroom for the installation. You'll lose about a foot to the containers, drip trays, etc; and 18" to 2' between the light and canopy. That only leaves 30 - 36" for the business end of the plants in a 6' tent. Will that be enough for you?

The Mars SP-250s looked good until I saw the driver used. The Mean Well ELG-240-36A is only rated at 180W with 110V AC in. I'd contact Mars-Hydro for more information. I think you'd get the 448 µmol/m²s out of it. You probably could use three or four in a 4' X 4' tent.

The Philizon COBs worry me. Are they driving them to the max? If so, I don't think they'll last more than two years.

I like the HLGs for your situation. They take the least headroom of any light I've seen. Seriously, consider lighting only half the 4' X 4' tent, or a single 2' X 4' tent, and expanding when you can afford it.

This may not be what you want to hear, but it's my opinion.

Ugh! I too have one of those low basements. I very much doubt that you'll be able to erect a 4' X 4' X 6' tent down there. If you need to turn it upside down to install the walls, it's a no-go right off the bat. You'll need at least 87" of height, and that gives you less than 1/2" to play with. A 2' X 4' X 6' tent needs at least 76" to flip, so even that would be a problem. You may be able to slip it up between the joists to flip it. Perhaps you can erect the 2' X 4' tents elsewhere and get it into the basement. Take a good look before you buy.

The CMHs seem to be good, but you lose at least a foot (probably more) of headroom for the installation. You'll lose about a foot to the containers, drip trays, etc; and 18" to 2' between the light and canopy. That only leaves 30 - 36" for the business end of the plants in a 6' tent. Will that be enough for you?

The Mars SP-250s looked good until I saw the driver used. The Mean Well ELG-240-36A is only rated at 180W with 110V AC in. I'd contact Mars-Hydro for more information. I think you'd get the 448 µmol/m²s out of it. You probably could use three or four in a 4' X 4' tent.

The Philizon COBs worry me. Are they driving them to the max? If so, I don't think they'll last more than two years.

I like the HLGs for your situation. They take the least headroom of any light I've seen. Seriously, consider lighting only half the 4' X 4' tent, or a single 2' X 4' tent, and expanding when you can afford it.

This may not be what you want to hear, but it's my opinion.

This is excellent advice, @Old Salt - thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and perspective. I do currently have a 2x4 tent, in which I have four plants growing away right now. I was lucky to find one on that big South American river (wink) website that is about 70" tall. I do have my eye on a 4x4 tent from a hydro store near me that is 72" which I think will be great (max height until I hit the basement ceiling is 78").

On the lights, I am coming around to the same conclusion on the CMH - will take up too much of the height. I am also a bit worried about the heat (even though it is less than other HIDs, I think it will still be warmer than LEDs). Haven't heard anyone be encouraging about the Phlizon light, so it is off the list for now.

Too bad about the Mars Hydro. I will do some more research on it, but if you think I would need 4 units for a 4x4, that would start to get expensive.

I did find a source for Quantum Boards. The description is "260W 288 pcs LED Quantum boards complete Kit" with the following details:

LED chip: 288 pcs Samsung 561C top bin Diodes
Total output: 155 PPF
System Efficiency: 173 Lm/W
System PPF Efficacy: 2.44 μmol/joule
Dimensions: 600mm X 200mm
260 Watts
Flowering Footprint : 3″ X 4″
Veg Footprint : 4 ” X 4″
HLG-240H-48B

A lot of this terminology is unfamiliar to me, so any reactions would be great. I can get them for $370 each, including tax and shipping, so I could get two units within my budget of $750.

What do you think - everyone is welcome to chime in!

Thanks to all.

Defintely two of the SP-250, it can not only save your money on the lights, but also will save more on the electricity. :) The high PPE of 2.35umol/j will help you grow much better as well. :)

Defintely two of the SP-250, it can not only save your money on the lights, but also will save more on the electricity. :) The high PPE of 2.35umol/j will help you grow much better as well. :)

Thanks Sara! There was a comment upthread about the rating on the driver: "Mean Well ELG-240-36A is only rated at 180W with 110V AC in." Can you comment on this?

Thanks Sara! There was a comment upthread about the rating on the driver: "Mean Well ELG-240-36A is only rated at 180W with 110V AC in." Can you comment on this?
Hi Bard, the driver can be moved easily from the light, we have made an video for it. If you think it is necessary, you can do this very easily. :green_heart:
Also, the light wattage can be adjusted as well. Here is a video guid as well. For your information, when the light is at 200w, it got highest PPE, but of course when you turn the wattage higher, the whole output will be higher as well. :Rasta:

Hi Bard, the driver can be moved easily from the light, we have made an video for it. If you think it is necessary, you can do this very easily. :green_heart:
Also, the light wattage can be adjusted as well. Here is a video guid as well. For your information, when the light is at 200w, it got highest PPE, but of course when you turn the wattage higher, the whole output will be higher as well. :Rasta:

Thanks!

The Mars SP-250 is close to the QB288 kit. It may have an advantage with its modified spectrum. The only way to tell would be side by side comparisons with various strains. It does have an advantage for those that are not too handy as they are ready to hang right out of the box.

At that price the QB288 kit is probably a V1. They advertise it as being 'complete,' but it doesn't appear to be so. At the very least it's missing the rotary intensity control. Although many swear by them, I don't like the Wago connectors. I especially don't like to see them exposed in a tent. You will need to build a frame to mount everything. This can be as simple as a few pieces of angle aluminum which you'll need to cut to size and drill mounting holes for the kit. At a minimum, you'll need to buy the aluminum and hardware (screws, nuts, and lock washers) to put it all together. Don't forget an arrangement to hang the completed fixture. ;)

With what you've said, the Mars lights would probably be best, and the least problem for you. In addition, Mars has a warranty, and Canadian repair depot should you need it.

The Mars SP-250 is close to the QB288 kit. It may have an advantage with its modified spectrum. The only way to tell would be side by side comparisons with various strains. It does have an advantage for those that are not too handy as they are ready to hang right out of the box.

At that price the QB288 kit is probably a V1. They advertise it as being 'complete,' but it doesn't appear to be so. At the very least it's missing the rotary intensity control. Although many swear by them, I don't like the Wago connectors. I especially don't like to see them exposed in a tent. You will need to build a frame to mount everything. This can be as simple as a few pieces of angle aluminum which you'll need to cut to size and drill mounting holes for the kit. At a minimum, you'll need to buy the aluminum and hardware (screws, nuts, and lock washers) to put it all together. Don't forget an arrangement to hang the completed fixture. ;)

With what you've said, the Mars lights would probably be best, and the least problem for you. In addition, Mars has a warranty, and Canadian repair depot should you need it.

Thanks Mr. Salt! The SP250 is still definitely on the consideration list.

On the QB288... I think that you are right, in that it looks like the LEDs themselves are not the "latest and greatest" as I understand it. They are called 561Cs, whereas the more expensive ones seem to have 301Bs. The driver looks to be comparable.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I thought that the boards got mounted to the heat sink (which is included), and then the heat sink got suspended with ratchet cables in the tent? The kit comes with inexpensive hanging wires, but I have a stash of better quality ones I was planning on using.

You are right about the dimmer lacking. Is that something that I can obtain and install myself pretty easily? I can always ask the vendor about it as well. (I think there might be a suggestion elsewhere about a screw that can be adjusted to dim the intensity - definitely not as convenient as a rotary dial).

BTW, whether it is the SP250 or the QB288, my hope had been to mount the drivers outside the tent, just for further heat reduction. Do you think that is a good idea? Sara from Mars Hydro has already shared a video on this discussion showing how it is done on their unit.

Here's a picture of what comes in the QB kit. I won't post a link to the vendor, as I think that is against forum policies. But I can send you a private message, if you are willing to take a look at the site?

Thank you again - very thoughtful of you to reply in such detail.

Back
Top Bottom